Crazy stat

Sugarbush is reporting they have already gotten more snow this season than ALL of last season...wow...Let's hope it keeps coming. Just close your eyes on Tuesday...

I wonder how many other areas have a similar story (like all of them in NE).

Comments

This happened at Killigton about a week+ ago.
    Mount Snow went through that mark yesterday as well

Heck, based on the crowds my wife said were there today (I was at a CROWDED Stratton with my kids for a race today) they might of even surpassed last year's total skier visits with today's crowd!!

This is going to be a MEGA profitable week for most New England ski areas, and frankly, that's a GREAT thing!!
  • On days like yesterday a lot of fair-weather skiers are saying, "Boy, are they raking it in" - but they aren't there on the rainy days, the icy cold days, before Christmas or after Apr. 1, when the revenues aren't paying the days operating costs.

As much as I detest lift lines - and especially long ones - I recognize their importance to the survival of the industry.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 742
    The Mansfield Stake increased past last year's highest base depth mark a few weeks ago. I don't think total snow for the year has yet surpassed last year there yet but I assume any locations that haven't hit that mark yet will be doing so soon.

Lots of pent up demand was showing yesterday which was the busiest I have ever seen Cannon. From what I heard while riding the chair, Cannon, Loon, and Bretton all ran out of space to park cars and had to turn cars away for lack of parking space.
    Mt Ellen at Sugarbush was parking down the access road. I have seen that only a handful of times in the past 2 decades...
  • riverc0il said:

The Mansfield Stake increased past last year's highest base depth mark a few weeks ago. I don't think total snow for the year has yet surpassed last year there yet but I assume any locations that haven't hit that mark yet will be doing so soon.

Lots of pent up demand was showing yesterday which was the busiest I have ever seen Cannon. From what I heard while riding the chair, Cannon, Loon, and Bretton all ran out of space to park cars and had to turn cars away for lack of parking space.
    This is all fantastic news.  If this season remains blockbuster, it mitigates the effects of last year.  On the negative side, I want to go skiing in northern NH tomorrow but I don't want to be skiing among countless hordes.  

I've never skied Black or Shawnee.  Do these places get packed?
    not really
    Happy for you Northerners.  Things are still only partially open down here in mid-Atlantic as the temps have been erratic with some rain.  I hope to get my first ski days in next weekend:-(
    Mt. Mansfield snow stake 2015-16 vs. 2016-17 vs. historical average

• riverc0il said:

This is all fantastic news.  If this season remains blockbuster, it mitigates the effects of last year.  On the negative side, I want to go skiing in northern NH tomorrow but I don't want to be skiing among countless hordes.  

I've never skied Black or Shawnee.  Do these places get packed?
    I don't think you need to worry about hordes anywhere tomorrow. The hordes are going to be hung over or at the least sleeping in due to staying up later than they usually do. A lot of vacationers may not even ski tomorrow and head home early. Friday was crazy because you had vacation crowds and powder crowds. I don't think it will be that bad tomorrow. 

Do you mean Black NH or ME? Black NH is an amazing little mountain, I really love it there. If it was closer to home, I'd ski there more often. Shawnee is alright but Black really tickles that old school natural snow feel for me. Black ME is alright, I'd like to give it another shot when it is fully open so I can sample the new terrain. Either Black should be pretty quiet, I would think Shawnee would be busier. Black NH doesn't have their summit double open whereas Black ME is reporting all trails open (glades are not reported open or closed so who knows how well the trees are skiing).