Mt Snow 12/30 and 12/31/16

yardsaleyardsale intermediate
edited December 2016 in Trip Reports Posts: 32
12/30 The vacation crowd did NOT miss out on the Friday powder day. The Mt reported 10" overnight and another 3" during the day on Friday. This was accurate. Crowds were crazy and my family added to the mayhem. My daughter came up with friends for the day so we maxed out our buddy ticket purchases on Friday. Wind holds played a part on Friday - North Face and Sunbrook never opened.  Carinthia / Nitro express had the shorter lift waits although the lift management there was poor.  I noted 5 of 6 chairs loading with less than 4 while we waited and some coral ropes got trampled and were never reset.  I am not a whiner on a powder day but I don't like apathy either. It could and should have been better at Carinthia.   In the afternoon, it got a bit colder and the crowds began to disperse.  I got a nice run down Hop with my daughter. I never went near the bluebird.

12/31  a much saner/better day today.  Crowds got normalized. North Face and Sunbrook ran. Wind blown powder stashes were found.  Woods were in play in places.  The natural runs, Hop, Uncles and Shootout on the main face skied beautifully.  Olympic on North Face was as good as it gets.  Most fun I had was on Big Dipper from top of Sunbrook.  Deep wind blown on skiers right was perfect.  Real solid day of skiing today.

Hop on Friday

Big Dipper on Sunbrook

Big Dipper

Olympic on North Face looking up

Olympic looking down

Riding the Outpost on North Face

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Great stuff!
    Not many skiers on trails
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I was there Tuesday through Friday. Friday was by far the best day. Thursday is when conditions were improving with the falling snow. Tuesday was spring and Wednesday was ice. Not having North Face open on Friday was very upsetting. Lines were insane, but the upper mountain chair near Sundance was providing the least lines and best tree skiing circuits.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Relatively quiet here today (New Year's Day) Bluebird lines were maybe 5 minutes mid day, with shorter lines on Canyon and Grandsummit - wind holds on/off most of the time I was out for all of Sunbrook, and the Challenger lift on the Northface - rope drop on Ripcord kept me lapping it 5 times, then some casual cruising with my wife on One More Time (rope drop on it today and it was skiing worthy of a repeat) Overbrook and the Rollercoaster to Illusion before the Patriots - Dolphins game was calling me to a TV.

The masses in their mini vans were heading home in big numbers when I just got back to my condo from a quick halftime grocery run.
    I really enjoyed skiing Mt. Snow back when i lived in CT (I was a grad student at UConn Storrs). Would so love to return to CT (Darien is beckoning my heart strings) so I have the best of both worlds: NYC a 1/2 hour train ride away and all that skiing nirvana in VT, NH, and ME!

IBRAKE
    DrJeff said:

Relatively quiet here today (New Year's Day) Bluebird lines were maybe 5 minutes mid day, with shorter lines on Canyon and Grandsummit - wind holds on/off most of the time I was out for all of Sunbrook, and the Challenger lift on the Northface - rope drop on Ripcord kept me lapping it 5 times, then some casual cruising with my wife on One More Time (rope drop on it today and it was skiing worthy of a repeat) Overbrook and the Rollercoaster to Illusion before the Patriots - Dolphins game was calling me to a TV.

The masses in their mini vans were heading home in big numbers when I just got back to my condo from a quick halftime grocery run.

How were conditions on Ripcord. I snapped a picture on Tuesday before the storm and there was no snowmaking base.
    20161227_093947.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 3M
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

DrJeff said:

How were conditions on Ripcord. I snapped a picture on Tuesday before the storm and there was no snowmaking base.
    Nice, smooth, grippy, styrofoam like snow with minimal bumps along the big spine down the center the whales created.

One of my true favorites in the ski world is opening day on Ripcord, or also if the winch it and then blow a bunch of snow on it to recover from a freeze up - just pure steep skiing bliss!
  • mapnutmapnut expert

I really enjoyed skiing Mt. Snow back when i lived in CT (I was a grad student at UConn Storrs). Would so love to return to CT (Darien is beckoning my heart strings) so I have the best of both worlds: NYC a 1/2 hour train ride away and all that skiing nirvana in VT, NH, and ME!

IBRAKE

Uh, Darien is at least 50 minutes. Metro North service is still good.
    I'll take a 50 minute ride; maybe it's 30 miles or so as the crow flies. It's still an easy trip to my favourite city plus LGA and JFK would become my new home airports.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I skied there on January 2nd and while the snow was excellent the lift management was a s*itshow. There where more people skiing on Monday than I think they anticipated. The Grand Summit never ran and the Bluebird had a 20 minute wait even for the singles line. On the Northface, Challenger had no lift maze and a 20 minute wait. I saw a skier do a face-plant at the unloading area at Tumbleweed and the lift attendant did not notice until two chairs had gone by and the skier got up and started waving his hands.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

edited January 4 Posts: 295
    sugarloaf said:

I skied there on January 2nd and while the snow was excellent the lift management was a s*itshow. There where more people skiing on Monday than I think they anticipated. The Grand Summit never ran and the Bluebird had a 20 minute wait even for the singles line. On the Northface, Challenger had no lift maze and a 20 minute wait. I saw a skier do a face-plant at the unloading area at Tumbleweed and the lift attendant did not notice until two chairs had gone by and the skier got up and started waving his hands.

I have to agree with your schmoop show statement. A lot of the lifties seemed inexperienced. Some did not know how to do the proper slide when slowing down a fixed grip and other times, there was a blatant problem occurring during loading of a detachable and the man in the cabin was looking the other way.

I also noticed the lack of coordination for putting together proper numbers of people for chair loading. This wasn't happening on the Bluebird, but was a huge issue on Nitro. During high traffic times, this is some of the most important items for safety and crowd mitigation. At times, it's a mix of bad customer ettiguete and employee inexperience, but it stands out like a soar thumb to someone like me who can't help but laugh.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 5 Posts: 1,651
    It's college day tomorrow ain't it? Watch out with only 30 something trails open
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • skieastskieast novice
    edited January 5 Posts: 2
    sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

• skieastskieast novice
    edited January 5 Posts: 2
    Sorry my computer is acting up, what I was trying to add to Sugarloaf's post was that I agree I think they got far more people then they were ready for and the lack of mazes and lift management just made it worse, the only thing I will say is they did get the Grand Summit Express open (late 10:30 or so) and that did improve the base area some.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    As some who's been skiing Mount Snow for almost 35yrs now, and has owned up there for almost 10yrs now, and has skied there on average roughly 40 days a season for the last decade... The reality is, I expect some degree of crowds EVERY day I put my boots on.

That's just a fact of life for a mountain who's perennially in the top 10 of skiers visits in the Northeast
  • ski_itski_it expert
    You are of course 100% correct, but then we'd have nothing to complain about would we? I kinda, maybe, stayed away from there for 50 years because of imagined crowds and it was crowded when I finally went back but it was still worth it. Can't wait to go back.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    It is fairly crowded, but if you know where you want to go North Face or Carinthia, it's really not a big problem. The mountain is fun, speaking to lots of different people is fun, and sometimes taking breaks in the lodge often isn't much of a problem.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited January 6 Posts: 748
    There should have been a lift maze set up at Challenger on The Northface. A 20 minute wait would be less if there was any clue where singles/doubles should wait. There was 0% lift-line management and complete chaos.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced

sugarloaf said:

There should have been a lift maze set up at Challenger on The Northface. A 20 minute wait would be less if there was any clue where singles/doubles should wait. There was 0% lift-line management and complete chaos.

There's been a fairly robust discussion, with PLENTY of management input on the Mount Snow Passholders website the last few days about lift line management.

I will be curious to see first hand tomorrow morning, especially over at Carinthia, some of these hopeful changes and line management enforcement being implemented
    I love viewing the Season Pass page and all the input from management. Very hands on, and understandable asnwers.