Red Hill Ski Club

bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 262
I did not ski but dropped by to check it out.  Very cool looking, steep, main slope.  180' vertical.  Nice people.  $60 family membership!

Comments

• bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    IMG_0756.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 1M
    IMG_0714.JPG
    2016 x 1512 - 1M
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    Where is Red Hill?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Moultonborough NH
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Center sandwich new Hampshire I had the pleasure of skiing there 4 years ago they had groomed the lower slope and put cat tracks on the upper section and dog leg trail. Very nice people who I ended up talking too for longer than I skied !! Make sure you get back there and take a few runs
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Linky

looks like a very cool place!  thanks for posting the report  
    :)]
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Its 181' vertical not 180. ;)  The conditions look great! Looks like they did a little brush cutting since I was there in Feb. 2014. We might need to send JS over to do some more trimming. My recollection was that I, although others didn't seem to, had a hard time holding onto that rope all the way to the top.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

Its 181' vertical not 180. ;)  The conditions look great! Looks like they did a little brush cutting since I was there in Feb. 2014. We might need to send JS over to do some more trimming. My recollection was that I, although others didn't seem to, had a hard time holding onto that rope all the way to the top.

Red Hill is not among the 175 areas at which I have skied.  I think one of the problems with rope tows is that the beginner ones don't need to be held properly and no one still teaches how to hold a serious tow rope.  For a clockwise moving rope, it's left hand in front of you and right hand behind your back. (And don't be wearing a pair of gloves that are worth anything.)
  • ski_itski_it expert

ski_it said:

Red Hill is not among the 175 areas at which I have skied.  I think one of the problems with rope tows is that the beginner ones don't need to be held properly and no one still teaches how to hold a serious tow rope.  For a clockwise moving rope, it's left hand in front of you and right hand behind your back. (And don't be wearing a pair of gloves that are worth anything.)
    Red Hill is among the 110+ areas at which I've skied. I've ridden ropes since the 1960s but that may be true of new riders needing lessons. Go to Kancamangus, they make you take a lesson before you can go up. My rope issues are caused by (in no particular order): age, lack of strength, lack of flexibility to hold that classic position, body mass, higher height of rope off snow than the kids, being the only person in that general vicinity on the rope, repeat list...   
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited January 4 Posts: 1,061
    I must be one of the few who prefers rope tows to those handle tow things!

Fun little thread hijack here, Joshua's rope tow primer was lost on this tyke...

Fear not, (click here:) she turned out to be a pretty good skier  

;) :-/ :D ;)
    edited January 4 Posts: 262

ski_it said:

Its 181' vertical not 180. ;)

I believe it is actually 180.499999 but who's counting.

Looking forward to skiing at Red Hill.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 5 Posts: 1,651
    Red Hill is. They say 181 odd.
    Seriously it's a fun hill with very nice friendly people on the club and some amazing dedicated volunteers who keep the place running.
    If only I was 3 1/2 hours closer...
  • ski_itski_it expert

Fun little thread hijack here, Joshua's rope tow primer was lost on this tyke...

Fear not, she turned out to be a pretty good skier  

I'm with you, I always feel like I'm gonna snap the handle off. And they never seem to go as fast as the ropes. Awe, she's so cute (then & now)!
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    Wow, that looks *just* like a little lost place in Virginia named Cascade Mountain.  I would visit if in the area.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

I'm with you, I always feel like I'm gonna snap the handle off. And they never seem to go as fast as the ropes. Awe, she's so cute (then & now)!
    The other problem  with "handle tows" is you can't slip them through your gloves to get a gentle start.  The result: either they almost pull your arms off (especially on days when the snow is sticky) or they have to run them very slow.  Hmm.  Now that I think about it, I haven't used a rope tow in over 10 years - and I can't remember the last time I used one that was not just the beginner tow for teaching. Most of those have been replaced with Magic Carpets.

ski_it said:

The other problem  with "handle tows" is you can't slip them through your gloves to get a gentle start.  The result: either they almost pull your arms off (especially on days when the snow is sticky) or they have to run them very slow.  Hmm.  Now that I think about it, I haven't used a rope tow in over 10 years - and I can't remember the last time I used one that was not just the beginner tow for teaching. Most of those have been replaced with Magic Carpets.
    We still have three rope tows at Bradford, one for the terrain park, and two in the novice area.
    - Sam