Jay peak tips

MrMagicMrMagic advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 119
I'm heading to Jay peak the last weekend in January skiing friday-sunday I have skied Jay peak before but not in a while. Staying slope side on Grannies Jay trail. Both me and my brother are expert level the steeper the bumper the better. Of course planning to do the water park one night. Any tips for crowds ? Food ? Beer ? Especially beer many thanks in advance

Comments

• bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    The Tower bar in the Tramhause building is usually pretty rocking at 4:00PM.  The Belfry restaurant is a short drive west on 242 and no Jay visit is complete without that.  The beer is excellent.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 6 Posts: 1,737
    Last time I was there they were using RFID cards. Get it the night before if u can and have a waistish high outside pocket for it. (And tell everyone in line to have one too!) There's also a bar or two at stateside now too. Sounds like u'd guys would like the Staircase trail and Valhalla woods. (I think I have the names right). Avoid the tram at 1pm when the ski schools and everyone comes out at once.
    I prefer to ski the stuff off the Bonadventure & Stateside chairs. The two Kitz trails & Cam Am and into the woods skiers right of that one. Assuming there is good stuff on the ground. The beginners & people who don't like the cold head elsewhere...usually. To me the tram is only good for the view or if you want to ski the cliffs to the skiers left of Green beret or Valhalla woods
    Aw damn now I want to go too!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Great thank you keep them coming
    I'll visit guest services for reciprocal lift tickets Friday and Sunday I bought one for Sat on liftopia in advanced for Sat I'm excited to see the new improved base areas I'm sure some of the trails will be familiar once I get back there
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    UN and Liftline for bumps. Deliverance, Valhalla, Everglade, and Staircase are good for combining steeps, trees, and bumps. I would avoid the tram completely. It is always a long line and this year capacity is 1/3 less than past years (only 40 people per tram now). If you want a run off the ridge, go for it very late in the day or maybe first thing if you don't mind lining up early. Otherwise, you are just wasting time standing in line.

Don't forget you can ski most Tramside runs from the Bonnie except Poma Line and the upper part of Ullr's. A very short uphill side step gets you to Weddle where you can access JFK, Alligator, Beaver, Ullr's, etc. So if the Freezer is frosty, you can alternate runs. Or just avoid Tramside completely, my favorite option. :)

You shouldn't have to worry about crowds during the last week of January (unless it is a powder day). My preferred play is to take an early lunch and then ski through the lunchtime when everyone else goes inside. Lots of Johnny Come Lately's at Jay, if you start right at 8:30am, you can ski onto most lifts until around 10am.

I can't comment on the beer. But for food, as I recall, dining at the sit down venues for lunch is a pretty big step up in quality compared to the cafe food for not much more money (but you need to add in a tip). Takes longer so you lose ski time but if food quality is important, it doesn't cost that much more.

If you want to ski trees, jump in anywhere. There are skiable lines between every single trail at Jay Peak except Powerline, nothing off map on either side of that mess of a trail. Though if you want bumps, the on map trees will have more defined bumps than off map woods.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 7 Posts: 1,737
    Great tips from Riverc0il. They are only loading 40 now? I thought it got fixed? That's makes it a different ballgame. Hate to quibble but isn't 40 more than half? I thought Capacity is 60-75 or are they making fewer trips too?
    And a translation for the uninitiated: Freezer=Green Mountain Flyer "Express" Quad.
    Yeah big changes to the base areas if you haven't been there in a while. The main lodge is still there but that's about it. The tram line is off to the left now instead of the front of the building.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Previous capacity was 60 as I recall (it was less than Cannon's tram which I think is 70+1). So 1/3 less capacity. I can't remember the details on the inspection issue... I am not sure if the summer repair and lowered capacity are related, my recollection is that they are not but I can't remember for sure.

I wouldn't say it is a different ball game, the tram is usually not worth the line even when it had the higher capacity. Now it is even less worthwhile but it isn't like it was usually worthwhile before. First tram or after 3pm are good, just have to get up 20 people earlier is all. Trams still depart in the same frequency, just lower max capacity. They taped over the capacity placard with a paper and wrote in the 40 number. 

I skied the tram last weekend on a 3pm run. Gotta admit, it felt great having some elbow room in there, lol. We went over around 3pm and I thought we wouldn't have to wait. But we missed what I thought should have been a slam dunk for timing the tram run. When they didn't pack us in, I turned around and checked for the capacity number and saw the 40 number and it made sense why we missed the previous car.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    Didn't they find some metal fatigue or cracking on the hanger arm or something for the tram cars and were required by the state or maybe the lift manufacturer a to limit the load that the tram requires until they can be replaced?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 8 Posts: 1,737
    You're right I missed that key word, LESS and I agree it is generally not worth it unless for the view or some short powder runs in the expert terrain. I also never liked getting hot when packed in there or when it's snowing haven't it melt all over my goggles etc.. and then fogging/freezing up when u get out.

MrMagic, perhaps they can preload all those tickets on your card to save you some time in the mornings?
  • obienickobienick expert
    Yes. Somehow the old capacity was calculated incorrect. Also one of the tram cars had a massive water tank that was filled while in operation with the public.
  • ceoceo intermediate
    Just a note about the RFID cards, they tell you to put it in an outside pocket away from credit cards etc., but that's nonsense. I put mine in my wallet, in with my work badge and my MBTA CharlieCard (which are also RFID cards), and it worked just fine. 

I hadn't been to Jay before, but I had one of my best ski days ever there at the end of last season, which was otherwise the worst ski season I've seen since 1980. (Previous day was pretty awesome too, despite my smashing my head on a rock.)
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ceo said:

Just a note about the RFID cards, they tell you to put it in an outside pocket away from credit cards etc., but that's nonsense. I put mine in my wallet, in with my work badge and my MBTA CharlieCard (which are also RFID cards), and it worked just fine. 

Interesting...I've seen it first hand where RFID card from another area wreaked havoc with the gates at Jay. Perhaps that's different from a credit card or MTA card.
  • ski_itski_it expert

ceo said:

Interesting...I've seen it first hand where RFID card from another area wreaked havoc with the gates at Jay. Perhaps that's different from a credit card or MTA card.
    A Jay Peak regular should probably comment on this as I've only used them once at Ragged(where they have since discontinued them) and at Jay once. I didn't have problem at Jay but other people in line sure did. They have like a green bullseye reader at about waist level. The ones who had them on a high front pocket or a neck thingy inside their jacket most often didn't get the gate to open. I saw a lot of hip or butt checking of the bullseye, others looked like they were doing something amoral to the poor reader without its permission. IDK whether it really had that poor a range.       
    I had problems when they first rolled our RFID. Not sure if they upgraded they system but I did change where I keep my card. I used to put in my my pants pocket opposite my wallet. But my current jacket has a small pocket on the wrist of my jacket so I keep it there and it works like a charm. Just wave my wrist at the bullseye and works everytime. I suspect they had some kinks to work out when it was first installed, I don't see others having quite as much trouble as when it first rolled out. But the wrist pocket on the jacket is gold if you have it.
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    These are all great plan is to leave CT Thursday am ski Dartmouth ski way for the day Jay Fri,Sat Sunday pending on how good the snow is may have to play hooky on Monday. Thanks again very excited to see how much has changed
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    riverc0il said:

I had problems when they first rolled our RFID. Not sure if they upgraded they system...

they used some EB-5 money to fix that   ;))
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I haven't been to Jay Peak in a few years, but the last time I was, they had a bunch of employees standing by to deal with the legitimate RFID passes that were being rejected by their system.  I know that I did not find the system to be user-friendly.

On the other hand, Peak Resorts' new scanning system is a giant step backwards, at least at CM , from their RFID system of the last couple of years.  Having to stop every run, reach to find the pass, etc. slows the line.  The alternative is to have the pass flapping in the breeze (also in one's face) if one chooses to keep it out all the time.

The ticket checkers at all the Peak Resort areas that I've visited know it and by the 10th time through, they wave through people whom they recognize in the interest of keeping the line moving. (Pretty much the same as at Killington).