Surface Lift Sunday: time to ski Boston Mills!

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 881
About to ski with my boys!!
IMG_1930.JPG
4032 x 3024 - 2M
IMG_1931.JPG
4032 x 3024 - 2M
IMG_1932.JPG
4032 x 3024 - 2M

Comments

The snow is EXCELLENT. Lots of packed powder and minimal ice, except by the snow cannons. For a small hill the terrain skis with plenty of challenge.
    IMG_1933.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_1934.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_1935.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    Looks like a fun little place! I've driven by many time, but I've never had my skis with me, so I've never tried it.
    - Sam

Looks like a fun little place! I've driven by many time, but I've never had my skis with me, so I've never tried it.

It skis great. Well worth the visit.

I noticed that the Borvig triple that serves the Buttermilk slope was shortened: the summit bullwheel was moved down about 100 ft so it doesn't fully reach the top anymore. The old concrete post that once supported the bullwheel plus the concrete foundation for the last tower still stands. No idea why they would do this. :-/
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Thanks for the report. It's great to see new to me areas. That slope to the right in the last pic looks like it has some steep powder.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Boston Mills has several chairlifts if one looks from left to right on a trail map: a Borvig double, magic carpet, and handle tow serving the bunny slope called Summit. A Hall triple and the slightly shortened Borvig triple serve Buttermilk, an intermediate slope, as well as Tiger, a solid expert run. A Hall triple serves Peter's Pride, an intermediate run and then a diesel-powered Hall double and a Riblet triple serve the expert runs of the North Bowl and Croyle race hill.

Lots of snowmaking whales all over the different runs.

The Hall double was the first chairlift in Ohio and the Tiger slope is the steepest run in Ohio. It was clearly sculpted from the ground but is a real challenge. I'd say it's at least a consistent 30 degrees pitch from the start of its drop.

IBRAKE
  • bubkegbubkeg novice
    edited January 11 Posts: 7
  • bubkegbubkeg novice
    Borvig triple was shortened because the area around the foundation, which was fill dirt, became unstable.
    bubkeg said:

Borvig triple was shortened because the area around the foundation, which was fill dirt, became unstable.

Ah, I wondered if that might have been the reason. Explains why the current summit terminal is mounted on steel posts driven deep into the ground. Any idea how long ago that was done?
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    thanks for the report!
  • bubkegbubkeg novice

bubkeg said:

Ah, I wondered if that might have been the reason. Explains why the current summit terminal is mounted on steel posts driven deep into the ground. Any idea how long ago that was done?
    I would guess around 1980

bubkeg said: