Another Backpack Incident

JMaulJMaul advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 258
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/05/arapahoe-basin-chairlift-rescue/

Scary. Man was hanging himself. 
Unusual rescue.
You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Elk Mountain bans backpacks, I'm sure a lot of other areas do as well.  Friend used to ski with backpack -- swore by it -- until he became a hanger at Gore.
  • obienickobienick expert
    How are these people getting stuck?

I have skied with a backpack or camelback a few times.  I've always taken the backpack off and put it on my lap as I load.  Why? Because The only way to really fit on the chair is to have it on your lap. Plus, I'm no longer connected by the shoulder straps. 

in my mind, really the only way to get stuck is if the backpack gets caught and you're in the shoulder straps.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 9 Posts: 1,795

What do they carry around in their backpack if they aren't going back country? Maybe I could use one spring skiing for my jacket, but that's about it unless headed for a picnic.

I've told you all about when I was riding the tram there were 2 guys with backpacks that had unsheathed ice axes that have those knife edge bottom spikes. Surprising they didn't put some kids eye out or get hung on a chair.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    edited January 9 Posts: 1,148
    ski_it said:

What do they carry around in their backpack if they aren't going back country? 

anyone I've known carries sandwiches and the demon rum.  Seems we run with different groups 
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Bandages, gauze, cravats, saw, tape, Leatherman tool, SAM splint, flash light, surgical shears, Band-Aids, Sugar tablets/gel (for diabetics), energy drink, latex gloves, heating pads, plastic bags for ice packs...  

Patrollers are among the most frequent pack users, most learn to keep clips & appendages to a minimum, keep the pack a little high so their butts fit the seat, don't overcrowd small seats (2 big patrollers with packs on an old Hall double bad idea).
    It can be done safely, but you MUST be aware of the limitations a pack imposes. 

It also feels really good to ski without one!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Just take the pack off when you ride the lift. Pretty simple. Put it next to you or on your lap. I carry a pack often and never keep it on my back when on the lift.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    NELSBEER said:

Bandages, gauze, cravats, saw, tape, Leatherman tool, SAM splint, flash light, surgical shears, Band-Aids, Sugar tablets/gel (for diabetics), energy drink, latex gloves, heating pads, plastic bags for ice packs...  

Patrollers are among the most frequent pack users, most learn to keep clips & appendages to a minimum, keep the pack a little high so their butts fit the seat, don't overcrowd small seats (2 big patrollers with packs on an old Hall double bad idea).
    It can be done safely, but you MUST be aware of the limitations a pack imposes. 

It also feels really good to ski without one!
    As someone who has ridden the West Double with Nelsbeer and his backpack, I can confirm this posting applies to him + one medium sized person!
  • ski_itski_it expert

ski_it said:

What do they carry around in their backpack if they aren't going back country? 

anyone I've known carries sandwiches and the demon rum.  Seems we run with different groups 
    What, do they bring a handle of the demon rum?
    I just use my pockets for those items.
    Anecdotally I feel like I see more backpacks these days.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited January 10 Posts: 314
    ski_it said:

What, do they bring a handle of the demon rum?
    I just use my pockets for those items.
    Anecdotally I feel like I see more backpacks these days.

Ask my ribs how they felt about the umm..err...soda can in my pocket that night I fell on a Monday night race night warm-up lap at Pats Peak 7 years ago. I'll gladly keep that stuff in the lodge or in a pack (that I take off when loading/unloading a lift) from then on out. I managed to crack 2 ribs and bruise 2 more. Not a great feeling at all.

To those wondering what happened to the contents of the offending can; nothing. The structural integrity of the can was not compromised in the crash, but it was welcome when l I took it out of my pocket and 'self-medicated' in a hasty fashion, helping eliminate any pain temporarily, and by unloading contents of can, prevented possible further injury if another fall was to occur.

Always remove your backpacks when loading/ unloading the chair. Problem solved.
  • newmannewman advanced

Ask my ribs how they felt about the umm..err...soda can in my pocket that night I fell on a Monday night race night.

• newmannewman advanced
    My friend crashed with about 10 bottles of ur- soda in his backpack. He looked at me on the verge of tears when I helped him up.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Oh I'm not against them (as long as you don't litter!! Or carry unsheathed ice axes), just personally I'm trying to cut back on the amount I carry around.

I will defend your right to carry.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Here's the blog on Alpine Zone about the backpacks: Link
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I haven't read an AZ blog in a while and it makes me glad (probably not some of you) that I'm an SJer. Thank you SJ 2 & 1 Admins. 13 pages in what we'd probably fit in 3, lots of flaming. Ok, some people had good points, like in the east inbounds; posers & preppers.
    ski_it said:

I haven't read an AZ blog in a while and it makes me glad that I'm an SJer. Thank you SJ 2 & 1 Admins. 13 pages in what we'd probably fit in 3, lots of flaming. Ok, some people had good points, like in the east inbounds; posers & preppers.

+ 1  

Yikes.  I appreciate some of their humorous retorts, but by and large the dialogue reflects a flippant crudeness that is all too pervasive in society these days.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I find it nice to see what some "other" people are discussing about current conditions or other ski area intel. Alpine Zone has its up and downs. There is far more complaining and potential fighting. SJ is by far better in the history and analysis of ski resorts. Love the threads here!
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Ahhhh...  for the good old days when we carried wine botas in lieu of cans. Worst case there was a big red stain in the snow and on you. Best case you got it into your mouth +/-75% of the time. Wonder if anyone ever got hung by their bota string????
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

Here's the blog on Alpine Zone about the backpacks: Link

But how about their insight on Climate Change?? Seems like AZ is the cutting edge of Trump science.