Blowtorch #3

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 625
Looks like Wed night and all day Thursday will be the next edition of The Blowtorch. The weather services are all pointing to close to 50 degrees in VT, with upwards of a half-inch of rain .  :((

Hopefully we get enough snow out of this wave tonight and tomorrow that it will be all that is lost before things lock up Thursday night.
Weekend looks chilly but nice- hopefully not too much band-aid work needed Friday to get ready for the holiday crowds

Stay tuned.

Comments

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    January thaw. Happens almost every year. We'll survive. We always do. Years ago it used to make for icy trails until the next snowfall. Now, with snowmaking and grooming, things get skiable much faster when it cools off again. 
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Could we please call it a Thaw instead of a Blowtorch? Too scary!
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Neither of the other two warming events were "blowtorches" and I doubt this one will be as well. Thaw, sure. Blowtorch? C'mon. Blowtorch to me implies substantial loss of base usually to the extent that many previously skiable natural snow trails are not skiable for the majority of the region. A little rain and high temps hitting 50s in the valleys for a day isn't a blowtorch.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Whatever. Still will stink when a half-inch of rain comes in with 50 degrees.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    It really should be called Boiler Plate Round X
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    I'm going to make lemonade out of the lemons and ski tomorrow after work at Blue Mountain after half an inch of rain on some nice soft spring like snow in relatively warm temps.
    :)]
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced

I'm going to make lemonade out of the lemons and ski tomorrow after work at Blue Mountain after half an inch of rain on some nice soft spring like snow in relatively warm temps.
    :)]

me too!!!  (different resort tho)
    Thaw: When it gets warm. Yes, this happens and has happened forever.
    Blowtorch: When it gets warm and the wind hammers, sucking the snow off my yard, like it is doing right now.

No lemonade for me if the lifts don't run.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Blowtorch vs. thaw - my take:

In all my years of skiing,  I've experienced many thaws:  Only two qualify IMO as blowtorches.

One was in January 1995 when there was an extended (10 day period) of unseasonably warm weather.  Many ski areas had to shut down completely. (At Temple Mountain,where I was  teaching at the time, they were down to bare ground on 90% of the mountain).  Killington was down to 4 open runs.  Daytime highs were in the 60s even in ski-country and nighttime lows remained in the mid-50s.

The other was early in May in one of the last years of ASC - probably 1996 or 1997:
    The average snow depth on the Superstar glacier was 30 feet.  In the next 10 days,  the snowpack went down 25' and they didn't even make it until Memorial Day.

In the first case, by mid-February, most areas recovered in time for Feb. vacation.  In the latter case, only the Killington late season die-hards even noticed.

I think it was 2012: Snow gone by third week in March in VT. A week of 60's. Crazy...a year without spring skiing.

I think it was 2012: Snow gone by third week in March in VT. A week of 60's. Crazy...a year without spring skiing.

I remember that week being in the 70s and even topping out at 80. You could ski Stowe in the morning and take a cold dip in Lake Champlain and quickly dry from the warm temps.
    Wind finally died- upper 40's and sunny. Spring skiing in January. Bring your umbrellas tomorrow, then Saturday morning your ice skates... Ah, New England!
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    Not looking forward to "Blowtorch #4" but we're SJ'ers so why not have fun and consider any temps above say 40 degrees a "blowtorch"? We have "bluebird" days, so why not "blowtorch" days?  "The sky was cloudy but at 40 degrees it was a blowtorch day."

Maybe lotsoskiing has coined new ski slang!

Blowtorch- A day during winter when the the temperature "should" be under 40 degrees but is 40 degrees or higher.

Smile! We're skiing now....

"I need a powder day"
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    My heartfelt plea falls on deaf ears. Two at least.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Five or six years we had a blowtorch in late March or early April... most areas went from fully opened to closed within 2 weeks. I think that was a late start season too... one of the worst seasons I've experienced up excepting last year which was the worst.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited January 12 Posts: 1,018
    Mapnut I am with you this is NOT a blowtorch.  This is a mere hiccup...I hope.

I recall the blowtorch Riv talks about, I was left with a bunch of prepaid Ski Vermont passes that year.  The other one I recall was (I believe) January 2007 and our own Jeremy D. used the term, first time I heard it.

Just relaying what I am seeing outside my window. Good think it will lock up tonight and tomorrow. Go groomers and snowmakers!
  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    63(f) at the base of Blue Hills in Canton at 1:30pm.  How about a tiki-torch.
    I wish the "yuge" green and yellow blob heading our way on the radar would magically turn blue  >:)

Where's a good Polar Vortex when you need it?
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited January 12 Posts: 744
    Things look warm after this cool down through to around 1/27/17. Arctic or even cold air looks absent in the lower 48 after this weekend. I'm planning on skiing at Mount Sneux on Sunday.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• slathamslatham advanced
    Whatever your definition of a blowtorch, this January thaw is not over. This weekend is just a pause. A true turn doesn't happen until around the 23rd, potentially with a big storm and a big pattern change.
    No snow in the valleys. Mad River closed- will have Practice Slope on weekend. 50 degrees at midnight... below freezing now and guns back on at most places, but midweek again looks gross. Snowpack took a hit. Yuck
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    if this keeps up I'll use the B word for it.  oh my.   :((
    I rode Stowe today: boiler plate. The turns off the quad were fine, fast and a tad bit of soft snow from snowfall last night. The gondola was another story. I was in the last cabin to load for the day, and we sat at the second lift tower for 30 minutes. After those boring 30 minutes, we started our slow decent up the hill. We were at the last lift tower before the last terminal (only people on the gondola) and we stop. With over 70 MPH gusts, were inches away from hitting the tower. We were waving our arms at lift ops and ski patrol to make sure they saw that they still have people on board. Probably the scariest 5 minutes of my near memory.

When we got off ski patrol asks how we are and the buddy next to me says: "How do you think I should feel." Found it odd that they didn't give any free stuff. Sugarbush at least gave us free coffee/hot chocolate after sitting on a chair for 45 minutes. Well, on to the next one.

Almost no snow in the valley, there was well over a foot a week ago. Going to be a terrible MLK weekend.
    MRG webcam: http://www.madriverglen.com/live-web-cams

Do your snow dance, everyone! Maybe we can truck some in from Tahoe...