Mount Shasta, California getting hammered ..........

gimme789gimme789 intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 37

Mount Shasta, California, home of the world record for a single dump (189 inches in February 1959) is getting pounded by a storm of biblical proportions. NOAA is predicting as much as 18 feet of snow could fall on Mt. Shasta over 4 days and as much as 22 feet in a 7 day timeframe.

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert

Did it snow in the Bible? (Sorry, I guess I read too long on AZ yesterday)

Conversion: 216-264"

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited January 11 Posts: 1,118
    Yes, two historic Biblical references to snow storms, but unlikely the snow was of biblical proportions.   Once on "Zalmon" now believed to be Mount Gerezim.  Still snows there.  Other time related to a fight with a lion, unknown location but probably near Bethlehem, where it snows infrequently.

As a figure of speech, "white as snow" appears quite a bit

As a weather phenomenon, snow is referred to a few times.

One of those mentions references Mount Lebanon, and today the Lebanon Range is home to six ski resorts.  Word "lebanon" actually means "snow" according to the Lebanese ski tourism people. 

No known record of skiing in Lebanon prior to 1913, so odds are against any Biblical skiing.  But who really knows?
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Chairlifts going under at Alpine Meadows: http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/weather-conditions-webcams/lake-tahoe-webcams

On some of the Squaw cams it's snowing so hard at 11 a.m. that it looks like dusk.

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    Y'all did see the Date of the OP's article, right??

Still, epic snows in the Sierra/Nevada and Rockies.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Snagged from a weather forum. First is tagged Kirkwood, second is I-80 somewhere.

imageimage
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    C16sQzcUsAAStj0.jpg.cb253a0028e0b175b03de509db6116cd.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 112K
    imageproxy.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 25K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    JMaul said:

Y'all did see the Date of the OP's article, right??

No. That ain't right to do. 12/1/2012?
    RB said:

Yes, two historic Biblical references to snow storms, but unlikely the snow was of biblical proportions.

Schooled once again.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA