Number of skier visits for small ski area?

WinterburnWinterburn novice
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 3
I have found reports that show total number of skier visits per state and in the U.S. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on the number of annual skier visits for some of the smaller ski areas.  Places such as Cochran's in Vermont, Lost Valley in Maine and Maple Ski Ridge in New York. Not you community rope tow but the next size up from there.  Any example would do. I just happened to pick out a few.

I am working on a paper for a small ski area.  Working on potential revenue, expenses, etc. I realize there are other revenue sources such as lessons and rentals and am including those in the paper.  Curious if anyone has an idea on annual skier count.

Thanks!

Comments

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    Not sure if a place the size of Whaleback fits your criteria but they average 10 to 20K in visits widely depending on the snow that year. For small mountains day ticket revenue is usually pretty low compared to other profit centers.
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    I worked at one of the smaller Colorado resorts 20ish years ago (3 chairs, 2k vertical)  skiers days ranged from 78k to 105k, total revenue all sources, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 mil (top lift ticket at that time was $30 something)
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/ has skier visit numbers for some of the smaller areas.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Magics top years of late have been 26k.
  • WinterburnWinterburn novice
    Thanks!

• WinterburnWinterburn novice
    Is there anything similar for New York state areas?
  • zapadazapada novice
    I looked for similar info when I was in college (close to 20 years ago) and I found the best source was contacting marketing directors at each of the individual ski areas. They are often happy talk and share such info, at least generally. Of course, some areas might want to keep that info confidential, but it never hurts to ask. They might be interested in seeing your final paper too.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited January 18 Posts: 1,061
    You might also check various college/university libraries where they offer this type of course or degree, the library will have likely have some thesis papers with all kinds of data.  Even in schools that don't have this type of course you may find something.  I stumbled on one a few years ago in the library at Tufts, some business student did a very in depth study on the regional ski biz.

Before the world wide web we had these quaint brick and mortar versions of it!  
    ;)
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I'm sure my 1975 master's thesis isn't on the web.
    edited January 18 Posts: 1,061
    There was nothing about skier visits so they archived it.

mapnuts-thesis.jpg
    958 x 686 - 518K
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    rick, where's the building - and other buildings?
    edited January 19 Posts: 1,061
    that's Colby College, Waterville ME, Mapnut's alma mater.  Library front and center.  Alas I don't know where he went to grad school so this is the best I could do.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited January 19 Posts: 778
    Rick, I didn't go to Colby, just went to a lot of hockey games there when I lived in Sidney (just south of Waterville). I also skied a few times at their NELSAP hill. That library's a beautiful building though. I went to URI and my thesis should be in their library. I also skied at Yawgoo Valley.
    Ha!  OK I assumed since you skied there, you must've been a student there.  We know what happens when we assume!

BUT if your thesis was as compelling and finely crafted as are your contributions to Snowjournal, it is quite possible that a Colby student obtained it via inter-library loan, and squirreled it away to the attic! 

In which case my graphic above is correct  \:D/
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Stranger things have happened.

Let's see, Colby's T-bar probably had a capacity of 1,000/hour. I was there on some busy days when I could only get 5 runs/hour so there would have been 200 people skiing, probably 300 with tickets. At least another 100 would have showed up for the night skiing. Let's also assume 100 for night skiing on weekdays. So 400/day on a good weekend, 300/day on an average weekend. A good season for them would be 12 weeks, so 12*2*300, + 12*4 weekdays*100 = 12,000 per year. Maybe half that in a poor year. I remember the Colby slope as being pretty popular; I'd always see it lit up in the distance when we went to a hockey game.

edited January 19 Posts: 1,061
    I stayed with you right up to "Colby's T-bar"

Seriously though it is always fascinating to hear people's memories of lost areas. You'll be glad to know the community seems to be doing well and gaining with that nordic area they put in, which as I recall is sort of in the same location.
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Right, it's called Quarry Road and here's the current map:  http://www.waterville-me.gov/parks/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2009/02/FINAL-PRINT-Quarry-Road-map-winter-20161028.pdf

The slopes shown around "Former Colby Ski Area" don't look right at all.

I'd guess the old Eaton Mountain ski area had similar numbers as my Colby estimate. Perhaps a bit less, because although they had night skiing and much better terrain, they didn't have the students nearby. Also they didn't have snowmaking in my day.