Coal Chute chair at Kissing Bridge being replaced

edited June 2015 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 15
A real classic too, a 1964 Stadeli double with lattice towers and all....

Says it will be replaced by a newer lift.  They sold all of the chairs for $35 a piece.  Wish I would have known sooner.

http://www.kbski.com/coal-chute-chair-to-come-down/

Comments

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I think I rode that chair perhaps once or twice. Back then I never thought to look at what it was other than old. 35 bucks is a good deal though. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    It's very sad to see another lattice lift being removed. Their numbers are dwindling and we need to hang on to the ones that we have left!
    - Sam
    Any pics of this lift and what is its replacement?

IBRAKE
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    I wonder if they'll sell a tower?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • mapnutmapnut expert

It's very sad to see another lattice lift being removed. Their numbers are dwindling and we need to hang on to the ones that we have left!

I don't see anything sad about old lifts being replaced, no matter how quaint. It's good that smaller areas can afford such improvements. (Of course replacing a double with a quad can be cause for concern.)
    Here's my take: lifts are structures that even with the best maintenance will deteriorate to the point it's no longer viable to retain them. Factor in a dwindling supplier of parts (Städeli is no longer in business) for a circa 1964 Swiss chairlift and that exacerbates the problem. Also, the lattice towers and their concrete footings may be at the point of being unsafe to support a working aerial lift. Furthermore, though they are elegant and a classic design, lattice towers by their nature have more exposure to corrosion and metal fatigue than their tubular counterparts.

Perhaps KB came to this sad conclusion because they simply had to, not because they wanted to.

IBRAKE
  • orangegondolaorangegondola intermediate
    I'm still sad

I'm still sad

Me too.

I'm still sad

Me too.
    Me three.
    - Sam
    I found a photo of the lift!image
    - Sam
    image.jpg
    485 x 376 - 47K
    Here's another one that I found!image
    - Sam
    image.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 179K
    A classic center pole double, just like the one that was installed at the long-lost Intermont in Solon, NY. Both Städelis.

IBRAKE
  • PeterPeter intermediate
    The lack of specifics implies the new lift may not be going in this summer?

Future lift could be one of the CTECs from Ascutney. I heard Pat's Peak bought all 3 of them but was looking to resell at least one to another area.

Here's a photo of the Coal Chute chair I took this past winter on a really nice powder night of snowboarding.  Sorry the quality isn't the best.  It was snowing like mad that night, though.  Come to think of it, I hadn't seen that chair turn all year in the visits I made.  Very likely they stopped putting time/ money into it towards the end knowing it was on borrowed time and due to be replaced.

Coal Chute.JPG
    815 x 465 - 54K
  • Brian1Brian1 novice

Here's a photo of the Coal Chute chair I took this past winter on a really nice powder night of snowboarding.  Sorry the quality isn't the best.  It was snowing like mad that night, though. 
    Come to think of it, I hadn't seen that chair turn all year in the visits I made.  Very likely they stopped putting time/ money into it towards the end knowing it was on borrowed time and due to be replaced.

KB rarely ran the lift at night in the last few yrs.
  • LomcevakLomcevak novice
    Here's the traditional bell given by Stadeli from 1964 when this chairlift was first installed.

Closeup of the plate on the strap:

I have fond memories of the muffled clanking of the chairs passing over the towers lulling me to sleep when I was a kid.
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    As a patroller who has had to climb lattice towers, as much as I admire their industrial beauty, they sucked to evacuate. There's no platform on the top of most of them and sitting on the crossbar was dangerous at best because I had to clip in below my body. Getting the line over the cable involved shimmying out to the end-- not fun at all. 

Mount one at the base of each mountain that had one and use it for decorative purposes. Hang a chair going each way off of the cross bar and call it good. Or, sell them to people who can use one in their yard. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Lomcevak said:

Here's the traditional bell given by Stadeli from 1964 when this chairlift was first installed.

Closeup of the plate on the strap:

I have fond memories of the muffled clanking of the chairs passing over the towers lulling me to sleep
    when I was a kid.
    As a Swiss the giving of a cowbell resonates deeply with me. That was a very kind (and expensive!!) gift of appreciation for Kissing Bridge.

IBRAKE