Cautious optimism again

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 665
Starting to see frozen precip Mon-Wed in VT instead of the R-word...fingers crossed

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited January 22 Posts: 747
    It was foggy and warm at Mount Snow today with the temperature at 46F by noon. I hope the mountain gets snow this week as there where quite a few dirty spots showing up in the snow cover on many runs.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 23 Posts: 1,651
    No kidding, huh Sugarloaf? I couldn't even see ya as I buzzed by you on Snowdance & fallen Timbers. Edited: They had a big trail count but several were thin.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Skiing down Nitro to end the day, with the corn snow it felt more like late March than late January. Coming home to a snowless landscape with temps in the 50s was depressing.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    ski_it said:

No kidding, huh Sugarloaf? I couldn't even see ya as I buzzed by you on Snowdance & fallen Timbers. They had a big trail count but several were garbage IMHO. Like South bowl and the dippers..

South Bowl garbage?? It's got some of the deepest, most consistent snowmaking depths on it in years as it winds it's way down through the middle flat and traditional "S turn" near where Shootout joins in. If you're talking way out on skiers right up high or down under the Sundance Lift towers just over the mid trail knoll, that's all natural!!

As for the Dippers, yup, the were thin in spots to say the least. Frankly I found it great how aggressive patrol was about keeping ropes down! That decision by the patrol, actually allowed me and my wife to ski a few trails this past weekend, that we never got to do last season because they either never opened or were only open for a couple of days when we weren't up at the mountain!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 23 Posts: 1,651
    DrJeff said:

ski_it said:

No kidding, huh Sugarloaf? I couldn't even see ya as I buzzed by you on Snowdance & fallen Timbers. They had a big trail count but several were garbage IMHO. Like South bowl and the dippers..

South Bowl garbage?? It's got some of the deepest, most consistent snowmaking depths on it in years as it winds it's way down through the middle flat and traditional "S turn" near where Shootout joins in. If you're talking way out on skiers right up high or down under the Sundance Lift towers just over the mid trail knoll, that's all natural!!

As for the Dippers, yup, the were thin in spots to say the least. Frankly I found it great how aggressive patrol was about keeping ropes down! That decision by the patrol, actually allowed me and my wife to ski a few trails this past weekend, that we never got to do last season because they either never opened or were only open for a couple of days when we weren't up at the mountain!

I might have been too aggressive in my criticism and may be I have the wrong trail name. So I 'll retract my comments. There were "thin" sections on some of the natural snow trails. I guess I am trying to limit any further base damage so I avoided them when I could.  But I can see your point, yes the expert skiers could pick their way down with no problem. And there must be a reason the skiers were out in force, right? Last Wed-Fri must have been like the closest to heaven it has been there this season.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Well, a mixed bag here in the hills. Mad River reporting just a couple of inches at base, as is Sugarbush, but the latter's snow stake cam shows upwards of 11" so I don't know the dealio there. Upper mt. lifts shut due to howling winds, though. More due later today, but still on the wet side. Certainly will be a net gain for the base, and looks like pattern after Wednesday is excellent (20's during day, single digits at night, with some snow here and there, as far out as the forecasts go (2 weeks). 
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Got a good 3" or so of dense excellence here in the Worcester Hills.  I assume north of here has even more.  Sleet makes for a fantastic base.

Got a good 3" or so of dense excellence here in the Worcester Hills.  I assume north of here has even more.  Sleet makes for a fantastic base.

Agreed- that is what most of the few inches down low are- very dense sleet. Will pack down nicely
    There's 2" of sleet here in Enfield.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    1/8" of ice in Burlington, VT. With about 2-3 inches of wet snow. Continuing to snow, roads are terrible.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Any new condition reports anyone? It rained like heck down here
    ski_it said:

Any new condition reports anyone? It rained like heck down here

Bradford is still 100% open, but it is very, very thin on some trails. The snow is very hard and icy in some places, but is very soft loose granular in others. Snowmaking temps will return this weekend, so it should stay at 100% with some creative snow management today and tomorrow.
    - Sam
    Things really shaping up here in CVT. The daily 2-4 inches forecast, if materializes, should make things terrific for the weekend, even in trees. Classic orographic effect. Jay looks like the place to be on Friday.
    Puking at high elevation right now. Just came down from Bolton...will be really nice tomorrow morning in the Greens.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

Puking at high elevation right now. Just came down from Bolton...will be really nice tomorrow morning in the Greens.

Ah man, I was up there last night too. The roads got very bad, very quickly. A car went off the road. Once you get to the bottom of the road, no road issues.
    saw 3 cars off the road when I went up. All from Mass- my guess is no snow tires. "all season" means "3 season" on that road...