Gore/Whiteface upgrades

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 743
Just heard on local tv: $20 million proposed upgrades to Gore and Whiteface. Restoring old gondi at Gore, enlarge/renovate lodges, develop non-skiing amenities and attractions. Will see if it comes to fruition. Cuomo wants to 'compete internationally' like Killington and Stowe for skiers.

Comments

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

NEW YORK TO
    INVEST $28 MILLION AT WHITEFACE AND GORE

SAM Magazine—Plattsburgh,
    N.Y., Jan. 23, 2017—Gov. Andrew Cuomo is committing $28 million for capital
    enhancements at two of New York’s state-owned facilities—Whiteface and Gore
    Mountain. Both ski areas are located in the Adirondacks, and Cuomo said
    the goal is to attract more tourists to the areas so they can rival ski resorts
    in nearby Vermont and Canada.

“Winter tourism is a key
    driver of the North Country economy and we have made it a top priority to
    leverage natural assets in the region to increase visitors, create jobs and
    spur economic growth,” Cuomo said. “New York State has Olympic-caliber assets
    and world-class skiing, but the facilities at Gore and Whiteface are outdated
    and sub-par. This investment will transform these resorts into year-round,
    world-class skiing destinations, and attract new skiers and snowboarders from
    around the globe.”

Whiteface was built in 1958
    and last updated in 1978, and Gore was built in 1963 and last updated in 1987,
    Cuomo said.

More than $20 million will
    be invested in projects at Whiteface, including:

• $5 million to expand and update Bear Den Lodge

• $3 million to renovate the Adirondack Base Lodge

• $4 million for a new lift connecting the Bear Den Learning Center to the Mid
    Station

• $3.5 million to build one of the longest zip lines in North America

• $5 million to build “the longest mountain coaster in the United States”

Gore Mountain will receive
    $8 million in upgrades:

• $5 million to add a third story to the Base Lodge, which will include meeting
    space, additional seating and visitor amenities, and an expanded rental shop

• $2 million for expanding and modernizing the Saddle Lodge facilities

• $1 million to restore the original 1967 gondola unloading station into a Gore
    summit warming facility and overlook

The state has already
    awarded the Olympic Regional Development Authority, which operates Gore and
    Whiteface, $10 million for other upgrades.

• obienickobienick expert
    All I can say is ...

What. The. Heck.

The State seems to be getting ripped off "bigly".

$4M for a lift? That's far too expensive for a FG lift and too cheap for a HSQ.

$5M for a mountain coaster? For something that hugs the ground and is a glorified erector set?

$3.5M to build a zip line?!?!? For just a rope strung between two anchor points!?!?!
  • newmannewman advanced
    Whiteface should start by using lookout my once in a while.
  • newmannewman advanced
    newman said:

Whiteface should start by using lookout mountain once in a while.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    obienick said:

All I can say is ...

What. The. Heck.

$5M for a mountain coaster? For something that hugs the ground and is a glorified erector set?

$3.5M to build a zip line?!?!? For just a rope strung between two anchor points!?!?!
    I predict significant cost overruns   :D
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

obienick said:

All I can say is ...

What. The. Heck.

Hey, Stowe spent millions on a zip line, we're trying to make New York great again. It's just pretty astounding that Cuomo thinks New York can be in line with Vail or Switzerland.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    And 80 million on an indoor adventure center.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    NYS wants what Jay has, minus the graft and shell games: indoor, all-season options alongside skiing and summer activities such as golf and ziplines, coasters, etc
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

obienick said:

All I can say is ...

What. The. Heck.

Hey, Stowe spent millions on a zip line, we're trying to make New York great again. It's just pretty astounding that Cuomo thinks New York can be in line with Vail or Switzerland.
    I noticed no money earmarked for Santa's Workshop! WTH? Can't compete with Vail or Switzerland without the North Pole getting some upgrades 
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    The Emperor Cuomo the Second is burning all this money ($38 million on the Plattsburg Int Airport after already spending $55 million on a terminal) because he wants to have a good infrastructure spending record for his run to be President. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Whiteface can't even deal with comp tickets.  Ain't no way the state of New York is going to make all those improvements for just $50 million.  

• NJSkiNJSki advanced

The Emperor Cuomo the Second is burning all this money ($38 million on the Plattsburg Int Airport after already spending $55 million on a terminal) because he wants to have a good infrastructure spending record for his run to be President. 

I wonder if he is looking down the road at an Olympic bid?
    edited January 25 Posts: 934
    Riiiiiiight.

'80 was a disaster. Winter Olympics are far bigger than back then.

When were all the roads in the Adirondacks straightened and widened with shoulders?  Well before my time, but IIRC from geology field guides and papers, all that construction was post-Olympics.
    For reference re: high cost of the alpine coaster.... A EuroFighter, a full-fledged roller coaster, the same model as Untamed at Canobie Lake Park, runs around $6M.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited January 25 Posts: 276
    obienick said:

For reference re: high cost of the alpine coaster.... A EuroFighter, a full-fledged roller coaster, the same model as Untamed at Canobie Lake Park, runs around $6M.

Link to manufacturer's website: http://www.wiegandsportsusa.com/alpine_coaster

Some cool stuff in there

The Wei-Li people mover looks like the old Cranmore Ski Mobile