The Most Useless Pods in New England

2

Comments

  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548
    ski_it said:

    I'm going to have to side with NELSAP that NONE are useless. Ok, as an author he said it better than that, but I'd prefer to ride any lift rather than walk up.

    Perhaps, we should ask:
    - If you were skiing at the area 
    - and the terrain served was appropriate for your skiing level
    - and lift line and snow conditions were not an issue

    Would you choose to ski this pod?
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Posts: 556

    ski_it said:

    I'm going to have to side with NELSAP that NONE are useless. Ok, as an author he said it better than that, but I'd prefer to ride any lift rather than walk up.

    Perhaps, we should ask:
    - If you were skiing at the area 
    - and the terrain served was appropriate for your skiing level
    - and lift line and snow conditions were not an issue

    Would you choose to ski this pod?
    Why not? Seems like you took all reasons out for not skiing that pod.

    I think a more appropriate question is which pods/lifts are useless because:
    1) they are rarely open
    and/or
    2) they serve really limited terrain if they do open
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548

    ski_it said:

    I'm going to have to side with NELSAP that NONE are useless. Ok, as an author he said it better than that, but I'd prefer to ride any lift rather than walk up.

    Perhaps, we should ask:
    - If you were skiing at the area 
    - and the terrain served was appropriate for your skiing level
    - and lift line and snow conditions were not an issue

    Would you choose to ski this pod?
    Why not? Seems like you took all reasons out for not skiing that pod.

    I think a more appropriate question is which pods/lifts are useless because:
    1) they are rarely open
    and/or
    2) they serve really limited terrain if they do open
    It's a lift - not a pod that yoou are talking about in your case 1.

    I agree with 2, and most of the ones on the last summary fall into that category.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Posts: 263
    Every pod realistically has some usefulness. Whether or not it's useful to a specific person is an entirely different question/perspective ;)
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548
    DrJeff said:

    Every pod realistically has some usefulness. Whether or not it's useful to a specific person is an entirely different question/perspective ;)

    The title is "The Most Useless Pods in New England".   Saying that all pods are useful doesn't respond to the topic.  Of all the pods available, clearly some are better than others.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Posts: 233
    Man, some of you guys are pulling a riverc0il... questioning the nature of the topic instead of contributing.  ;))

    Wilderness Peak at Bolton (strictly speaking for downhill resort skiing). It does give access to a traverse and some nice steep tree shots. But it is a long ride with a long run out, the pitch feels like it is over way too soon. First tracks in some of those steep off map woods are pretty sweet, but otherwise that lift is a total avoid for me.

    Mansfield Triple at Stowe. Good for the park skiers and riders but pretty pointless when you can ride either the quad or double for top to bottom. Hackett's Highway is a heck of a liftline to ski but you might as well go top to bottom to get there.

    Golden Express at Pico. Fine for lower intermediates that want to ski blue squares that feel like green circles at many other areas. Otherwise, only useful as a transfer lift to get to the Summit Quad and Outpost. I've never taken a lap off this chair. 

    Personal preference here but I never ride M2 (Smuggs) or Super Bravo (Bush) as pods. I don't think they qualify for this list, but just personal preference that isn't how I ski those mountains.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Posts: 159
    Outpost at Pico is a good one for being useless lately. No more snowmaking on Bronco anymore. Even when the trails are opened on natural, the double isn't open. The trails are served by hiking from Golden Express. Can someone correct me and say they have seen the double run in the last thre e seasons?
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Posts: 103
    Attitash, NH.  I drive by it all the time on my way to/from different ski areas in NH and ME.  I always forget that it's there and I'm always surprised by it.  It seems to have decent crowds but I don't know anyone who ever goes there.

    Obviously I'm being facetious. If people go there it's not useless. But who goes there? And why do they choose it over all the other great Mtns in the area that are better and actually easier to get to?
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    Posts: 241
    newman said:

    Outpost at Pico is a good one for being useless lately. No more snowmaking on Bronco anymore. Even when the trails are opened on natural, the double isn't open. The trails are served by hiking from Golden Express. Can someone correct me and say they have seen the double run in the last thre e seasons?



    There was a thread last year about lifts that never run. When someone mentioned the Outpost never being open, someone corrected them and gave them dates that it did run last season.

    Is it possible to cut a traverse from the top of the Golden Express to the Outpost area, and be high enough to be worthwhile?  

  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Posts: 953

    Attitash, NH...who goes there? And why do they choose it over all the other great Mtns in the area that are better and actually easier to get to?

    Can only speak for myself here, usually I rent across the street. I do a day or two at Black, day at Jackson or Great Glen, day at Wildcat or Attitash. I stay there because of the non-skier amenities available. And since I'm staying there, it's fun to just hoof it home at the end of a day.

    Also, since Peak took over, I have had days where I go up to Wildcat, the wind is going like the hammers of hades, so I just drive back to Attitash. Other times I go for a morning at Wildcat, drive back to the condo for lunch, wrap up the day at Attitash.

    It ain't my favorite area, but there are a few trails there that I enjoy a lot. Look forward to going back, probably won't get there this year.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    Posts: 68
    newman said:

    Outpost at Pico is a good one for being useless lately. No more snowmaking on Bronco anymore. Even when the trails are opened on natural, the double isn't open. The trails are served by hiking from Golden Express. Can someone correct me and say they have seen the double run in the last thre e seasons?

    I skied the Outpost double mid March, 2015. There was plenty of snow and traffic and all the trails and glades were open.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    Posts: 68
    NJSki said:

    newman said:

    Outpost at Pico is a good one for being useless lately. No more snowmaking on Bronco anymore. Even when the trails are opened on natural, the double isn't open. The trails are served by hiking from Golden Express. Can someone correct me and say they have seen the double run in the last thre e seasons?



    There was a thread last year about lifts that never run. When someone mentioned the Outpost never being open, someone corrected them and gave them dates that it did run last season.

    Is it possible to cut a traverse from the top of the Golden Express to the Outpost area, and be high enough to be worthwhile?  

    Yes. The top of Wrangler is about 130 yards and Bronco is about 200 yards  from the intersection of Prospector and That A Way (green trail you would follow up to Wrangler and Bronco). You could also cut through the trees.  
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Posts: 103

    Attitash, NH...who goes there? And why do they choose it over all the other great Mtns in the area that are better and actually easier to get to?

    Can only speak for myself here, usually I rent across the street. I do a day or two at Black, day at Jackson or Great Glen, day at Wildcat or Attitash. I stay there because of the non-skier amenities available. And since I'm staying there, it's fun to just hoof it home at the end of a day.

    Also, since Peak took over, I have had days where I go up to Wildcat, the wind is going like the hammers of hades, so I just drive back to Attitash. Other times I go for a morning at Wildcat, drive back to the condo for lunch, wrap up the day at Attitash.

    It ain't my favorite area, but there are a few trails there that I enjoy a lot. Look forward to going back, probably won't get there this year.
    Thanks. That's as good as answer as any.  And kind of what I expected. Basically:
    1) The location amongst other activities in the area makes it good for the casual family skier who is there doing other stuff anyway. And, 
    2) Shared pass with Wildcat offers another option at no major commitment. 

    Certainly doens't win any 'most useful' awards, but keeps it off the 'useless' list. 
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited January 27 Posts: 783
    Attitash, who goes there?

    Considering it's bigger than Wildcat, Black, Cranmore or King Pine.

    Considering it has certainly has better snowmaking than Black

    Considering it's cheaper than Bretton Woods

    Quite a few.

    And BTW how is Attitash a pod?!? It'sa whole ski area!
  • obienickobienick expert
    Posts: 783
    riverc0il said:

    Mansfield Triple at Stowe. Good for the park skiers and riders but pretty pointless when you can ride either the quad or double for top to bottom. Hackett's Highway is a heck of a liftline to ski but you might as well go top to bottom to get there.

    Golden Express at Pico. Fine for lower intermediates that want to ski blue squares that feel like green circles at many other areas. Otherwise, only useful as a transfer lift to get to the Summit Quad and Outpost. I've never taken a lap off this chair. 
    How is Mansfield Triple a pod? It's entirely within the main mountain.  It may be listed separate on the snow report, but that does not make it podiform.

    Re Golden Express:  would you argue that Ramshead is a similarly useless pod as it too serves low intermediate terrain? What about Minuteman Express at Wachusett?
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Posts: 103
    obienick said:

    Attitash, who goes there?

    Considering it's bigger than Wildcat, Black, Cranmore or King Pine.


    Considering it has certainly has better snowmaking than Black

    Considering it's cheaper than Bretton Woods

    Quite a few.

    And BTW how is Attitash a pod?!? It'sa whole ski area!
    fa·ce·tious
    fəˈsēSHəs/
    adjective
    1. treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Posts: 233
    newman said:

    Outpost at Pico is a good one for being useless lately. No more snowmaking on Bronco anymore. Even when the trails are opened on natural, the double isn't open. The trails are served by hiking from Golden Express. Can someone correct me and say they have seen the double run in the last thre e seasons?

    I'd actually put Outpost as one of the most useful pods in New England specifically because the double doesn't run much. It involves very minimal effort for a great natural snow pod that is often overlooked when the lift isn't running..
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Posts: 233

    Attitash, NH.  I drive by it all the time on my way to/from different ski areas in NH and ME.  I always forget that it's there and I'm always surprised by it.  It seems to have decent crowds but I don't know anyone who ever goes there.


    Obviously I'm being facetious. If people go there it's not useless. But who goes there? And why do they choose it over all the other great Mtns in the area that are better and actually easier to get to?
    Good high speed ripping, for those that are into that. Actually, for steep pitch groomers... probably one of the best areas in New Hampshire hands down. They've cut a lot of glades into Bear Peak. Not nearly enough for me to ski there. But I'm always surprised when I do ski there. I'd rather ski there than Loon, for what that is worth.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Posts: 233
    obienick said:

    riverc0il said:

    Mansfield Triple at Stowe. Good for the park skiers and riders but pretty pointless when you can ride either the quad or double for top to bottom. Hackett's Highway is a heck of a liftline to ski but you might as well go top to bottom to get there.

    Golden Express at Pico. Fine for lower intermediates that want to ski blue squares that feel like green circles at many other areas. Otherwise, only useful as a transfer lift to get to the Summit Quad and Outpost. I've never taken a lap off this chair. 
    How is Mansfield Triple a pod? It's entirely within the main mountain.  It may be listed separate on the snow report, but that does not make it podiform.

    Re Golden Express:  would you argue that Ramshead is a similarly useless pod as it too serves low intermediate terrain? What about Minuteman Express at Wachusett?
    If you are skiing off the Mansfield Triple, you are skiing only the trails accessible from the Triple. That makes it a pod. Though your comment reinforces just how useless that pod is unless you are a park skier that wants to hit the park without skiing off the top. Golden Express is fine for beginners and lower intermediates. 

    Common, gimme a break, I am trying here. As others have expressed, strictly speaking from an objective perspective, no lift is useless if it is opened and being used. The question speaks to subjective and overall feeling rather than literal denotation.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited January 28 Posts: 783
    I feel we need to settle on what is a pod. Green Peak WV is a pod. Most of the peaks at SR are pods.  Monadnock vs. Summit vs. Minuteman at Wachusett are pods.  Mansfield Triple is fully integrated in the rest of the mountain. You can ski it 100% from the top. Mansfield Triple is like Super Bravo which you admit isn't a pod. The only difference is that Mansfield is easier and at the bottom vs the top of the mountain.

    Most of the suggestions here, especially some of yours, are popular low-intermediate or bunny slope pods. Just because you can ski steeper trails, doesn't mean that pod is useless. In fact, it can be fun to just rip a low intermediate cruiser (as long as you're not bugging the beginners).

    IMHO the pod that wins this category is the Green Peak at WV. It is served by a FG lift that is longer than the HSQ right next to it, adds very little terrain, and done primarily as PR for Sununu's gubernatorial campaign ... as evidence by the fact that the lift still isn't complete, nor was grading completed, nor the trails actually named, and what limited snowmaking that was installed was on a temporary basis to get through the winter.  Because if WV really wanted to make a statement, they would have moved the Quadzilla over to Green Peak as opposed to the WC triple.
  • edited January 29 Posts: 1,792
    Post deleted
    - Sam
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    Posts: 198
    Okemo mountain.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Posts: 233
    obienick said:

    I feel we need to settle on what is a pod. Green Peak WV is a pod. Most of the peaks at SR are pods.  Monadnock vs. Summit vs. Minuteman at Wachusett are pods.  Mansfield Triple is fully integrated in the rest of the mountain. You can ski it 100% from the top. Mansfield Triple is like Super Bravo which you admit isn't a pod. The only difference is that Mansfield is easier and at the bottom vs the top of the mountain.


    Most of the suggestions here, especially some of yours, are popular low-intermediate or bunny slope pods. Just because you can ski steeper trails, doesn't mean that pod is useless. In fact, it can be fun to just rip a low intermediate cruiser (as long as you're not bugging the beginners).

    IMHO the pod that wins this category is the Green Peak at WV. It is served by a FG lift that is longer than the HSQ right next to it, adds very little terrain, and done primarily as PR for Sununu's gubernatorial campaign ... as evidence by the fact that the lift still isn't complete, nor was grading completed, nor the trails actually named, and what limited snowmaking that was installed was on a temporary basis to get through the winter.  Because if WV really wanted to make a statement, they would have moved the Quadzilla over to Green Peak as opposed to the WC triple.
    Well that does it, this is a completely useless thread and I am sorry I suggested it.  :x
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548
    It just struck me.  There is one at my home area.  The Zero-G lift at Crotched Mountain.
    1. It hardly ever operates
    2. Even when it operates, hardly anyone uses it or the park it supports (except for a couple of scheduled events).
    3. The rope speed is ridiculously slow (I'd estimate no more than 200 feet per minute)
    4. The park is probably the worst of the three parks at the mountain
    5. It takes an incredible amount of snow to support the features built on it

  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    Posts: 32
    Useless thread or not.....

    West Mountain at Sugarloaf is useless as of now.  Slow chair that does service the condo/home owners down there...on weekends... many of whom would rather take the mountain shuttle bus to the base instead.  so the trail could still be cut to ski home.  The pod is underwhelming with the west mt trail and a couple of cut backs.  It has improved in recent years with some gladed terrain.  When I skied at SL regularly, it was a rare year that I went down that direction even once.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548
    riverc0il said:

    obienick said:

    I feel we need to settle on what is a pod. Green Peak WV is a pod. Most of the peaks at SR are pods.  Monadnock vs. Summit vs. Minuteman at Wachusett are pods.  Mansfield Triple is fully integrated in the rest of the mountain. You can ski it 100% from the top. Mansfield Triple is like Super Bravo which you admit isn't a pod. The only difference is that Mansfield is easier and at the bottom vs the top of the mountain.


    Most of the suggestions here, especially some of yours, are popular low-intermediate or bunny slope pods. Just because you can ski steeper trails, doesn't mean that pod is useless. In fact, it can be fun to just rip a low intermediate cruiser (as long as you're not bugging the beginners).

    IMHO the pod that wins this category is the Green Peak at WV. It is served by a FG lift that is longer than the HSQ right next to it, adds very little terrain, and done primarily as PR for Sununu's gubernatorial campaign ... as evidence by the fact that the lift still isn't complete, nor was grading completed, nor the trails actually named, and what limited snowmaking that was installed was on a temporary basis to get through the winter.  Because if WV really wanted to make a statement, they would have moved the Quadzilla over to Green Peak as opposed to the WC triple.
    Well that does it, this is a completely useless thread and I am sorry I suggested it.  :x
    +1.  I'm sorry I started it!
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    Posts: 37

    It just struck me.  There is one at my home ea.  The Zero-G lift at Crotched Mountain.

    1. It hardly ever operates
    2. Even when it operates, hardly anyone uses it or the park it supports (except for a couple of scheduled events).
    3. The rope speed is ridiculously slow (I'd estimate no more than 200 feet per minute)
    4. The park is probably the worst of the three parks at the mountain
    5. It takes an incredible amount of snow to support the features built on it

    Doesn't require lots of man made. Just as much as any other trail. There are dirt mounds built into the slope so it doesn't require as much snow.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited January 30 Posts: 783
    It's certainly faster than 246 fpm. I get a slope length of 935 ft on Google Earth. From a video on YouTube, with two slow downs it has a ride time of 3:48, giving an average speed of 246 fpm ... meaning the full speed was faster.

    IIRC originally it would have served the only park on the mountain (and did so for at least the first season), then Velocity --> Zero-G was the park, then the trail under the Valley Quad was made into a much larger park in addition to the Zero-G area.  I think the success of the larger park at Crotched led Peaks to turn Carinthia into a park when they got Mt. Snow a few years later.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548
    lysikjake said:

    It just struck me.  There is one at my home ea.  The Zero-G lift at Crotched Mountain.

    1. It hardly ever operates
    2. Even when it operates, hardly anyone uses it or the park it supports (except for a couple of scheduled events).
    3. The rope speed is ridiculously slow (I'd estimate no more than 200 feet per minute)
    4. The park is probably the worst of the three parks at the mountain
    5. It takes an incredible amount of snow to support the features built on it

    Doesn't require lots of man made. Just as much as any other trail. There are dirt mounds built into the slope so it doesn't require as much snow.
    You must not have seen the whales they put on it (despite the rolls) year after year.  Check it out at the end of the season when most of the mountain has melted out: You'll see what I see! 
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 1,548
    obienick said:

    It's certainly faster than 246 fpm. I get a slope length of 935 ft on Google Earth. From a video on YouTube, with two slow downs it has a ride time of 3:48, giving an average speed of 246 fpm ... meaning the full speed was faster.


    IIRC originally it would have served the only park on the mountain (and did so for at least the first season), then Velocity --> Zero-G was the park, then the trail under the Valley Quad was made into a much larger park in addition to the Zero-G area.  I think the success of the larger park at Crotched led Peaks to turn Carinthia into a park when they got Mt. Snow a few years later.
    Your experience on the Zero-G is different from mine.  Most of the time it was 4 to 4.5 min which puts it closer to the 200 number that I cited.

    This is my 10th season at CM so what you are describing predates my tenure here.  If I needed to get quickly from the east side to the west side, I used to take the Zero-G (if it was open).  After doing it once or twice, I determined it was quicker to either take the Rocket or walk!

    As an instructor, there were times that I had time left at the end of a class and not enough time to go up the west double, On a few occasions, I tried taking my students up the Zero-G.  That gives them access to Comet and Re-entry to finish the class.  The problem for these skiers was inevitably the very steep ramp getting off the Zero-G.
Sign In or Register to comment.