Snowmaking?

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 750
Curious if any NNE areas are still planning on making snow. My guess is no, unless they get a huge meltdown and have to cover thin spots. 

Comments

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Not done yet!
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Stowe and Sugarbush should be blowing starting tomorrow night, also Bolton.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited January 25 Posts: 565
    I think you will find there is plenty of snowmaking to go.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Sunday River is still expanding. black Hole and Quantum Leap are scheduled for tonight.
    A better question is who has stopped making snow? There is still much snowmaking to go here at Bradford!
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    NNE: Northern New England. I know Mass, Conn and RI have to keep cranking to stay open. Curious what NNE areas are expanding/improving cover, besides Killington and SR who always go deep into the season. 
    Bolton Valley
    - Sam
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I always thought President's weekend marks the end of snowmaking unless there is a bad year like last one.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I agree Marcski although others with the budget will do it late as they can
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    December was cold January unseasonably mild, there are many areas that have not expanded to their desired footprint yet. From Sat night on looks very good to do it quickly.
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    We at crotched are still going hard.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    the only area east of the rockies that has packed up snowmaking for the season that I've heard of is Brule in Michigan.  There may be many others,  just haven't seen any other announcements
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Snowmaking is not only used to open new terrain.  With modern traffic, the top surface constantly needs refreshing and there is only so much that can be done with grooming.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

Snowmaking is not only used to open new terrain.  With modern traffic, the top surface constantly needs refreshing and there is only so much that can be done with grooming.

That's why I asked about places "expanding/improving" cover...
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

It's more about maintaining surfaces.
    edited January 27 Posts: 565
    Chuckstah said:

Sunday River is still expanding. black Hole and Quantum Leap are scheduled for tonight.

Been a hot minute since they've made snow on Quantum Leap hasn't it?

• lysikjakelysikjake intermediate

It's more about maintaining surfaces.
    As a snowmaker, I can tell you it's both. When opening a trail, you make production type snow. It's wet to ski on. After you have enough of a base, you might go back a couple times to resurface that trail with a very light dry powder. Also known as champagne.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Stowe blew snow on the upper half of Nosedive last night, but turned them off this morning as there are currently marginal temperatures.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    newpylong said:

Chuckstah said:

Been a hot minute since they've made snow on Quantum Leap hasn't it?

For sure.  I can't remember the last time they made snow on QL.  I do remember skiing it frequently two seasons ago, but I think that was on natural. One of my favorites at the River when you catch it good.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Mount Snow is running a number of fan guns down low on numerous trails today
  • slathamslatham advanced
    edited January 28 Posts: 152
    I think the vast majority of areas are done with terrain expansion. Thus I would expect only parch work for high traffic areas and of course a full on resurfacing for Presidents week if necessary (which I hope isn't needed), The one other need would be to build a base in key trails or sections to make it through spring. I do know several areas that will wait until late Feb and into March and see how base depths are and augment as necessary. They obvious two are Superstar and steins but there are many others just to lesser extreme.