Big Squaw debt free!

obienickobienick expert
edited January 26 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 710
From their facebook:

DEBT FREE!!!

For the first time in the history of this organization and possibly the history of this mountain, all of our debts are paid in full!!!

NO GRANTS, NO BAIL OUTS, NO STIMULUS, NO SUBSIDY, NO TAX DOLLARS.

Congratulations Friends! Your generosity and support combined with our hard work prove that the sky is the limit! Thank you!

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    Wow !! That's great news. I have to get back there. What a beautiful place.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    +1
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    That's super news! I've been there twice and it is has some unique trails and great views all the way to Katadin beyond Moosehead lake. Now too get the top open keep plugging at it.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Remski said:

That's super news! I've been there twice and it is has some unique trails and great views all the way to Katadin beyond Moosehead lake. Now too get the top open keep plugging at it.

Without that top lft running, they can never really amount to a small regional ski site.  With the upper lift they are a potential major player in the ME ski market.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing advanced
    Even if they did get the lift going, do they have the bed base to be a real player as a resort or just a cool day trip area? 

Even if they did get the lift going, do they have the bed base to be a real player as a resort or just a cool day trip area? 

What's the condition of the hotel?
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited January 28 Posts: 710
    The hotel is most likely dead in the water.  It was allegedly closed with the upper lodge in 2001 due to deferred maintenance.  It wasn't in the best of shape when I stayed in it in the late 90s.  At some point since closure and since the accident an attempt was made as a lot of the windows have their Anderson stickers still on.  A real shame; the place could have been run much better under Confalone.  But his ego made him butt heads with everyone and his equally-floundering airline was also bleeding money.  He got a $4M loan from the State for improvements but he never spent it on anything.  Even if the area was bleeding money, I can't imagine it was bleeding $400k a year.  

I get the feeling from their Facebook that it is a real big deal for Big Squaw to be finally advertising on TV.  It is only 90 minutes from Bangor.