A Snow Making Thread

Comments

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

Mount Snow's blowing at the moment. Looking at their webcams it's a little sad to see the grey on the snow, frozen patches on top of the boiler plate snow.

With the temps the next 48+ hrs, anywhere they're making snow will be back in GOOD shape pretty quickly.

Anywhere they're not making snow will improve with a few grooming passes, but be loose granular over boilerplate.

My hunch is that you might even read in the snow report in the next day or too that they're breaking out one of their old school grooming devices, the "renovator" to really dig down below the boilerplate where they have ample base and break it up for a more enjoyable surface
    Think it will be just fan guns, or will they use more snowmaking equipment? I heave not heard of snowmaking on Lodge, maybe that trail is done for the season as far as snowmaking is concerned.
    The only non fan gun trails that I'm guessing would likely see some snowmaking the next few days would be Little John and Long John as well as the top of Cascade above where the fan guns area.

Minimal snowmaking crew this time of year, and the fan guns, especially the fixed tower mounted ones, are far less labor intensive to start up and manage while running than the air/water guns
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Mt. Wachusett said today (March 2): "Our groomers have been working hard moving the snow around to make us some great corduroy to enjoy! Today will be partly cloudy with gusty winds and temps hanging around the low to mid 30's by the afternoon. As nice as the warm temperatures have been we're excited for them to drop so we can rebuild base depths and resurface a few trails so the skiing and riding stays good well into the spring!"
    I drove by at lunchtime today. There was some earth showing  through a couple of spots along the Monandnock trails, but I couldn't see any other places like that. From what I could see, it's pretty much full cover. I haven't seen Ward Hill (Ski Ward) so I don't know what the warm weather did there.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    I don't know what happened to the above post. In summary, it said Mt. Wachusett was going to make snow to build up cover on "a few" trails. I drove by today (March 2) and Monadnock had a couple of bare spots along the edges of two trails. I didn't see any other bare spots on the mountain. It looks to be in good shape. I haven't seem Ward Hill (Ski Ward) for a while so I don't know what the warm weather has done there. (Let's see whether I can send this one).
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Here's an excerpt from the current Killington snow report: "With Wednesday's warm weather in the rear view mirror, Killington snowmakers are excited for a weekend of frosty temperatures. In order to take maximum advantage of the cold forecast, Mountain Ops is bringing in several additional compressors and ramping up snowmaking capacity to a level never before seen in March. By mid-morning, we should have as many as 35 guns running on the lowest section of Great Eastern, and more guns on superstar, Skyelark, Snowshed, Highline, and Lower Chute. Weekend forecast: 100% chance of a Beast Blizzard in Killington."
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    DrJeff said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

Mount Snow's blowing at the moment. Looking at their webcams it's a little sad to see the grey on the snow, frozen patches on top of the boiler plate snow.

With the temps the next 48+ hrs, anywhere they're making snow will be back in GOOD shape pretty quickly.

Anywhere they're not making snow will improve with a few grooming passes, but be loose granular over boilerplate.

My hunch is that you might even read in the snow report in the next day or too that they're breaking out one of their old school grooming devices, the "renovator" to really dig down below the boilerplate where they have ample base and break it up for a more enjoyable surface
    Think it will be just fan guns, or will they use more snowmaking equipment? I heave not heard of snowmaking on Lodge, maybe that trail is done for the season as far as snowmaking is concerned.
    The only non fan gun trails that I'm guessing would likely see some snowmaking the next few days would be Little John and Long John as well as the top of Cascade above where the fan guns area.

Minimal snowmaking crew this time of year, and the fan guns, especially the fixed tower mounted ones, are far less labor intensive to start up and manage while running than the air/water guns
    Why aren't there any fanguns at the summit, is this because of wind?

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• obienickobienick expert
    Nashoba will blow snow too.
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Midwest isn't done either MT Brighton, Pine Knob, and Mt Holly all just outside Detroit are blowing snow
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 3 Posts: 1,687
    Yeah, I'm not buying the money making season is over we ain't making any more snow theory. Lots of people book well into March. Weekends at least. Try looking for slopesides. Ok we found some... but still....
    This year I've feel like there are more non skiers/snow activity people in the north country than I've run into before. Not slopeside mind you, but people who want to be in New England in the winter.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

Possibly, could also be because of not enough water pressure. But I find that unlikely considering their running hkd's up there. Or there's no pedestals to plug in the fans. But I'd have to go with wind. Wind and fanguns DONT mix if it's blowing back on it.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Aren't the trails too narrow for permanent fan towers?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    obienick said:

Wind is what I've heard as the primary reason - they use fan guns (SMI Polecat Kids - SMI's smallest fan gun) in various narrow trail locations around the mountain (the entrance to Snowdance in particular) quite effectively
  • newmannewman advanced
    DrJeff said:

obienick said:

Wind is what I've heard as the primary reason - they use fan guns (SMI Polecat Kids - SMI's smallest fan gun) in various narrow trail locations around the mountain (the entrance to Snowdance in particular) quite effectively</blockquote

The kid wizard and polecats and arico juniors were designed for narrow sections. However the did sell well for just a smaller gun to have.
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate

There is a blizzard of snowmaking at Blue Mt. in PA on their webcams right now. But then I've seen them make snow the day before they closed in the past. I'll be using some tickets I have this there this weekend.

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited March 3 Posts: 531
    lysikjake said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

Possibly, could also be because of not enough water pressure. But I find that unlikely considering their running hkd's up there. Or there's no pedestals to plug in the fans. But I'd have to go with wind. Wind and fanguns DONT mix if it's blowing back on it.
    Regarding pressure they have a summit booster/valve house and running the dedicated 480 up Cascade another 1/4 mile past where it ends would not be a big investment if they really wanted to run fans up there. Considering every trail leading in and off the summit is covered by air/water to me it would not make sense to bother. Plenty of air/water capacity up there for not a lot of acreage + high winds.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Sugarbush turning guns on tonight. Don't know where; I imagine to patch things up at Lincoln Peak. Better than nothing and necessary if they are going to go deep into spring as intended.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    mtsnow123 said:

Here's the blog post from Kelly on the renovator a few years back, pretty cool photos: http://www.mountsnow.com/our-media/blog/kellys-blog/kellys-blog-renovate-trails-check/
    That's very cool.  Love the name!  Thanks for posting
    newpylong said:

lysikjake said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

Regarding pressure they have a summit booster/valve house and running the dedicated 480 up Cascade another 1/4 mile past where it ends would not be a big investment if they really wanted to run fans up there. Considering every trail leading in and off the summit is covered by air/water to me it would not make sense to bother. Plenty of air/water capacity up there for not a lot of acreage + high winds.
    But at this time of the year snowmaking is only going on with fanguns and I guess the HKD guns at the top of Long John. This leaves the upper part of Cascade as frozen/loose granular.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

newpylong said:

lysikjake said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

mtsnow123 said:

But at this time of the year snowmaking is only going on with fanguns and I guess the HKD guns at the top of Long John. This leaves the upper part of Cascade as frozen/loose granular.
    That's what it is looking like on their webcam. You can see the fans running much further down the trail.
    People on Mt Snows Facebook page are actually complaining about having to ski through the snowmaking today, gimme a break.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 4 Posts: 1,687
    A few squalls up here at Mt S.1/2- 1" so far. It's gonna be cold. 13 and dropping. 4 now and some guns on
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    IMG_4964.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • ski_itski_it expert
    IMG_4966.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    Blue Hills has been blowing hard since last night. One last push to to keep the season going
  • ski_itski_it expert
    The fan guns ran most of the day at Mt S
    edited March 5 Posts: 759
    The skiing today at Mt Snow was just okay. The high winds + temps in the 0's and 10's made it uncomfortable at times. Snowise it was not as good as expected, Snowdance was the ROTD but Ridge looked to have been groomed with a giant garden hoe. The mountain lost a serious amount of snow in the last 10 days.

I did not ride today at Mount Snow, but rode yesterday under the guns. They ran on trails Nitro, Ridge, Canyon, Cascade, and Snowdance. The winds were high and temperatures danced around 0, which had the Canyon Express closed and Sunbrook was closed due to a downed tree (I wanted to see a photo of said tree). Riding under the guns was the best choice for normal carving. Most other trails were dust on crust, but the trail Rollercoaster was a blast. They must have dug deep to refurbish the conditions on that trail. It has berms, rollers, and tabletops for buttery flow. Carinthia was doing alright with the guns. I can see that they took out many features with the recent r*** and warm weather. Overall not bad, as the crowds were low and non-bubble lift lines were empty.
  • SpruceSpruce intermediate
    Got a nice invite to the Hermitage today and guns were blazing off the summit all day. Overall, conditions were firm but workable. Glad I brought out the GS skis. 
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Wachusett, I'm told, made snow all weekend. On Monday, a crisp. sunny day with a small crowd, skiers said conditions were excellent. There was a power outage a little after 3 p.m.that shut down the lifts for about 20 minutes. It inspired about 20 snowboarders and skiers to hike up one of slopes and earn their turns. By the time they started to ski the lifts started running.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 11 Posts: 1,687
    It's still winter today down here at Mt ISNE. So there's still hope for us skiers and riders that there's more winter to come up north. image
    IMG_5023.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 12 Posts: 1,687
    On another note Squaw Valley is reporting 139" at the base and 254" on the summit. X_X