WV Replace J-bar w/ Carpet

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 476
Waterville Valley Proposes Removing J-Bar Lift
The Pasture is one of only four remaining J-Bar ski lifts in New England.
Sunday, January 29, 2017, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
Pasture J-Bar (2016 photo)
Pasture J-Bar (2016 photo)

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    Another is at Burke, where are the other two again?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited February 2 Posts: 346
    ski_it said:

Another is at Burke, where are the other two again?

Black, NH has one. 1936 install as a tow, and upgraded to a J-bar in 1954.  I plan to be there in a few weeks, and will try to get some pics.  And Suicide 6 had one last time I was there 2 years ago.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 2 Posts: 1,737
    Good recall. Well of course the famous Black lift. I don't think I've ridden either of those. Hmm may be S6 but definitely not Black's.
    I'd much prefer a j bar over a carpet.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    Technically not new england, but Gore has an early 60's Hall behind the base lodge that still runs most weekends and holidays
    Ski it or die trying
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

...  I'd much prefer a j bar over a carpet.

Most carpets that I know of serve beginner terrain.  As such,  most of the users are people learning to ski.  As an instructor, the carpet requires no training to teach how to ride.  It allows me to focus on getting down the hill - not up!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    But they can ski up & down. Twice the learning in half the time!!! Ok not really. Hey, I had to do it to learn.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    ski_it said:

But they can ski up & down. Twice the learning in half the time!!! Ok not really. Hey, I had to do it to learn.

Some of us suffered with rope burn 
    ;))
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    That person riding the J-bar looks strangely familiar....
  • ceoceo intermediate
    That was one of the first lifts I ever rode. 
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    edited February 9 Posts: 249
    Chuckstah said
    And Suicide 6 had one last time I was there 2 years ago.

Confirmation of S6. Rode it Jan2016.image
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    20160128_143554.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    Is this a Borvig surface Lift? Don't think I've ever seen one. Any Borvig t-bars out there?

IBRAKE

Is this a Borvig surface Lift? Don't think I've ever seen one. Any Borvig t-bars out there?

IBRAKE

Yes, it is Borving. There was a Borving J-bar at Jiminy and one was partially installed at Greylock Glen. There was a Borving T-bar at Timber Ridge and Nashoba Valley.
    - Sam

IBRAKE

Yes, it is Borving. There was a Borving J-bar at Jiminy and one was partially installed at Greylock Glen. There was a Borving T-bar at Timber Ridge and Nashoba Valley.
    I thought the Nashoba Valley t-bar was a Dopp? Or was there more than one on that hill?

IBRAKE

IBRAKE

I thought the Nashoba Valley t-bar was a Dopp? Or was there more than one on that hill?

IBRAKE
    According to NewEnglandSkiHistory.com it was a Borving, but it may very well have been a Doppelmayr. It does look like one in the photos.
    - Sam