Mt Tom on WGBH Gone But Not Forgotten

shprideshpride intermediate
edited February 3 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 55
I don't know if this was on tv or just a YouTube show, but it's a fun watch.

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I skied there only once, in February of 1998, just before they went out of business.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited February 3 Posts: 1,715
    sugarloaf said:

I skied there only once, in February of 1998, just before they went out of business.

I got there only once and it was Dec. 1969.  I remember very little about it.  Vertical drop-wise, it was larger than any New England area further south of it.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited February 3 Posts: 501
    We used to race there all the time, on a trail with its own chair all the way to the right near a quarry. I remember doubles right up the middle to the top. Also a series of J? Bars farthest lookers left? All the lifts were red. The lodge was more of a cabin. Fun mountain.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I will always have fond memories of Mt. Tom. It was such a landmark for me while growing up driving to ski at either Berkshire East or Magic. For me, it marked the beginning of ski country. I knew we were only about an hour from thr BEast. Also, I always begged my dad to stop so we could ski there on the way up Friday evenings. He gave me my wish and it was the only time I ever skied there... Mid-70's vintage.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 4 Posts: 1,651

Hey dudes & dudettes, those video posts never work. Do you mean this link? Hey, it's JD!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91MAEpESAYY

Nope, now I think it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTvqCs2-1w

Lost Ski Areas of New England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaf2BuqZYZs

I drove by it a million times to ski elsewhere, I've hiked it and rode the alpine slide but never skied it. I should have gone for lessons then maybe I'd be a better skier today.  :((

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • SpruceSpruce intermediate
    marcski said:

I will always have fond memories of Mt. Tom. It was such a landmark for me while growing up driving to ski at either Berkshire East or Magic. For me, it marked the beginning of ski country. I knew we were only about an hour from thr BEast. Also, I always begged my dad to stop so we could ski there on the way up Friday evenings. He gave me my wish and it was the only time I ever skied there... Mid-70's vintage.

My thoughts exactly coming up from Connecticut on Friday nights. And like you, our parents gave in although on the return trip on a Sunday.
    I was on the way up to Okemo for the weekend, back when I lived in NYC. I skied there with a friend for night skiing.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    My Mother, a South Hadley native, was a bond holder at Mt Tom in the 60's and 70's

I managed a few days, actually nights, there in the late 80's

My wife's first "real" ski coat, a Descente, as opposed to her previous Columbia, was bought at the Mount Tom Ski Shop in the summer of '94 shortly before they closed
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    My bedroom literally faced the lights of the Mt. Tom, so many of nights (if I wasnt there) I would watch skiers come down with binoculars.  

I skied there almost daily from the late 80's until the mid-nineties.  I was one of the kids mentioned in the video who would get dropped off by my parents and would spend the day/night there.  It was a lot of fun and is really missed.  

As for the link... I posted this from my phone and couldnt find a way to post it other than the in bedded video.  I had intended to come back and fix the link but never got around to it. 
    edited February 5 Posts: 747
    I looked through my lift ticket collection and I skied at Mt Tom on 1/22/98