Run with fear: IBRAKE is here....

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 987
on the new forum, that is!! :)

And now for your spring skiing surface lift pleasure, I present a ride up the Hall T-bar at the Cazenovia Ski Club in Cazenovia, NY - southeast of Syracuse! It's one ridge over from the long-defunct Ironwood Ridge (also in Cazenovia) but has a very similar vertical drop (about 500 ft) and degree of pitch!

IBRAKE

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Love it! Love that jingling TBar sound!

Def the lowest snow totals on the track, check the Fischer base.

What's the ladder action against the tree about half way up on the right?

The IBrake of old :D
  • abubobabubob advanced
    How did you do that? I mean post a video.
    I love the Hall T-Bar!
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Seeing if a photobucket video uploads
    Will not post photobucket videos :((
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 987
    The Hall t-bar wins the gold medal for noisiest ski lift! How else can you possibly be entertained so audibly on the way up, aside from speakers placed on lift towers! You can even hear the roar from the giant reducing gear in the base station as you ride up the track. Then you've got that lyrical SHPROINNNNNGGGG every time your skis hit a dip in the track and when the T passes through a sheave assembly. Finally, at the summit, you have that CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK from the old-skool safety brake on the summit bullwheel!

No idea about why the ladder was parked on the tree. Maybe tower maintenance needed to be performed and they were too lazy to put the ladder away?

IBRAKE
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Great video! I had to search for it on Youtube but it brought back a lot of good memories from Yodeler and Tannenbaum T-Bars. That fading track was certainly a labor of love. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

Great video! I had to search for it on Youtube but it brought back a lot of good memories from Yodeler and Tannenbaum T-Bars. That fading track was certainly a labor of love. 

The Tannenbaum t-bar?!? Wow, that's going back aways to the Holiday Valley of the 80s! It's a lift I wish I'd ridden.

Do you remember Cal, who hid a battleaxe in the lift shack to cut the tips of line cutters off? Great guy, though probably would be politically incorrect these days. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Greg Stump
    Untitled 46.png
    635 x 482 - 358K
    Sorry-- missed the end of it. Tannenbaum had two sections-- a rider would come up over the first rise to the junction of a cut from Crystal to the Punchbowl. Then, there was a big, steep upwards climb that if a rider was short, would turn the T-bar into a chairlift for a while until the track matched up with the cable run. Then it was through what we called the Black Forest (Happy Glade) to the top. 
    Greg Stump

bmwskier said:

I'm
    bmwskier said:

Sorry-- missed the end of it. Tannenbaum had two sections-- a rider would come up over the first rise to the junction of a cut from Crystal to the Punchbowl. Then, there was a big, steep upwards climb that if a rider was short, would turn the T-bar into a chairlift for a while until the track matched up with the cable run. Then it was through what we called the Black Forest (Happy Glade) to the top. 

That sounds like it was quite a ride up! A shame that t-bar died in the name of progress.

bmwskier said:

Do you remember Cal, who hid a battleaxe in the lift shack to cut the tips of line cutters off? Great guy, though probably would be politically incorrect these days. 

For real?!? This Cal dude wielded a battle axe against line cutters ski tips?!? THAT I would've LOVED to witness!!

IBRAKE

I love the Hall T-Bar!

One of the neatest ski lifts ever strung up! So glad there are several still happily operating.

And to think there are some out there (like the Snow Pocket Hall t-bar at Snow Ridge in Turin, NY) that are nearly 60 years old!

IBRAKE
    It was a staged act. "Someone" would push his way up to the front of the lift line being as rude as possible. Cal would come out with this big assed double bladed battleaxe and cut the tips off of the skis and send him back to the end of the line. Granted, this was during the days when wooden skis were common. I saw a super 8 home movie of it and remember that thing outside the lift shack when I rode it. 

Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

It was a staged act. "Someone" would push his way up to the front of the lift line being as rude as possible. Cal would come out with this big assed double bladed battleaxe and cut the tips off of the skis and send him back to the end of the line. Granted, this was during the days when wooden skis were common. I saw a super 8 home movie of it and remember that thing outside the lift shack when I rode it. 

Staged, hmm! Still, that would've been great to witness, especially as a little boy!!

IBRAKE

Apparently it did a lot of good keeping the French Canadiens from pushing to the front. Back then he could get away with that kind of fun-- today? Not so much though there have been times I wish I could take a schwack at someone's tips. 
    Greg Stump
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 777

NSR, but here is a picture of the Kennebago T-bar at Saddleback from April, 2008 with my son in front of me. This was the last month that the lift ran before being replaced.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Kennebago T-Bar.jpg
    800 x 600 - 70K

And the Kennebago T-bar at Saddleback in April 2006:

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

KennebagoT-Bar April 2006.jpg
    644 x 483 - 52K
    Very nice!! Wonder if Saddleback kept the t's, towers, and sheaves as spare parts for the Cupsuptic T?

IBRAKE

Very nice!! Wonder if Saddleback kept the t's, towers, and sheaves as spare parts for the Cupsuptic T?

IBRAKE

The also bought the Big-T from Camden Snow Bowl. Rumor is that they will open new terrain.
    - Sam
    Hmmmm! So the Kennabago lift may be coming back to life then?

I inquired about the potential for a lift in the bowl on the backside of Saddleback when I was there last month. Nobody had any news to offer regarding any expansion plans.

IMO, Saddleback needs to concentrate on replacing the Rangeley Chair.