Ski Area Deaths - data for New England ski areas?

becca_mbecca_m advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 102
HI All!   With the latest unfortunate ski area death at Cannon this past weekend: 

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any data by ski area and number of deaths or deaths per year?   A couple years ago I attempted to pull data on Wildcat and Cannon from web searching and found the actual incidents very difficult to discover (for obvious reasons - bad PR among them).  Maybe NH keeps some kind of official records?   

Just wondering - ????
--Becca

Comments

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Going to be a challenge as not all ski area deaths become a news story.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Perhaps medical examiner records are public information.
    That is an unfortunate story. The Taft trail isn't a particularly difficult trail so it's possible it was from natural causes.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • witch_hobblewitch_hobble novice
    ski_it said:

Perhaps medical examiner records are public information.
    That is an unfortunate story. The Taft trail isn't a particularly difficult trail so it's possible it was from natural causes.

Says from injuries sustained.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 8 Posts: 1,368
    Yes I saw that but they could have a medical problem and then go into the trees causing other injuries. No one saw this accident and unlike the movies it can take a while for an ME to issue a cause.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA