Rating the 2016-2017 Season Versus the Last 10 Years

2»

Comments

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    I wonder how the ski areas are doing financially this year? I agree about it being inconsistent, and the cost of extra snowmaking, but, the holiday weeks/weekends seemed to be big money makers as opposed to washouts.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited March 17 Posts: 221
    ski_it said:

It can't be a good year if I have more days than Riverc0il. But he he has more pow days for sure.

Of my ski days this season, they were almost all powder days and the majority of those are the boot to knee deep variety and quite a few deeper than that. So maybe not a lot of days for me this season, but the days I have skied have been amazing. Another foot of fresh at Smuggs yesterday on top of what they already had from the previous two days, absolutely unreal.

And so few people enjoying it. I could understand Wednesday, maybe people were still digging out... but Thursday also dead and nearly ski on the lifts? After the biggest storm since VDay 07? I wonder if people will even come out this weekend? Or maybe getting drunk tonight is more important than cleaning up the leftovers...

I'd be out there again today but I am pretty sore from the past two days. rickbolger says "how quickly we forget" but if you look back to my previous comments before the store, I believe I previously stated the season was already well above average due to the quality of good days in between the melt downs. 

I guess this season can be summed up in that it was an almost epic season (with many epic days) for those that ski when it is good and don't ski or don't care to ski when it is bad and an atrocious season for those who are locked into weekends/holidays (though Christmas week was stellar) and want consistent snow all the time and don't care or aren't passionate about powder skiing, and for those that value quantity at a consistent but not epic level.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited March 17 Posts: 929
    Now hold on a second, "mediocre" and "lame" may be understatements, "atrocious" is far too harsh!  Yes we had thunderstorms, tornadoes, 70 degrees and hurricanes...BUT we didn't have locusts.  THAT would be atrocious.

Seriously now, even as someone who fits in to the "mostly weekends" I really don't want to complain, I've had close to 20 days so far here and there east and west, plus four days XC in New Jersey so no complaints.  Just comparing.

And BTW I would be passionate about powder, if I had the skills to ski it!  
    ;))
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    I skied at Sunday River last Friday and then Wachusett yesterday.  Both experiences were stellar and considering it is mid March, I'd suggest this season's finale may end up being among the best in recent memory.  The only noteworthy warming in New England this week will be Tuesday, otherwise, cool and dry until next weekend.  This is going to lend itself to a nice extended season as the boiler plate underneath has yet to be scratched, and won't be scratched until significant warming occurs.

I'd be happy to post a trip report and pictures from Sunday River and Wachusett if folks find it valuable. 
  • slathamslatham intermediate
    edited March 29 Posts: 82

The problem with applying a generic rating this year is two fold:1) The good skiing was very "episodic" and more so than usual - there were times it was very good and even exceptional (think Stella), and there were times it was very bad, even exceptionally bad (think Feb meltdown); and 2) it varied greatly from the Catskills (more bad, less good) to Northern New England (more good, less bad). And of course the rating is very personal based on your actual on snow experience, as always.

From a personal perspective, this was one of my best. I am currently tied with my all time high number of days of 28, all on East Coast (and I hope not done yet). I was able to hit good to great skiing over Thanksgiving, mid-Dec, Christmas, late Jan, early Feb, Presidents, Stella, and last weekend at Stowe. 8 legit 6"+ powder days.

From a Southern Vermont perspective I would give this winter a solid 7. It would be higher if we didn't have the Feb melt, and it could still go higher if this weekend delivers (even though I won't get it) and April skiing turns out to be good.

Although episodic, and the Feb melt hurt, one factor that is huge this year and is not often the case is that there has been good skiing starting in November and going right into (and likely through) April. Most winters, even some of the higher rated winters, often start late so early season is marginal and all we remember is that from Feb on it rocked.

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Another +4-6" incoming this weekend. Maybe we'll get spring skiing eventually? In the meantime, here comes yet another powder day.

\:D/
    I would now consider this season a bit above average because of the amount of snowfall, but the extended thaw keeps it from the top of the list.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    At this point I semi-retract my previous comments.  I have no clue how to rate this season.  

~:> ~:> ~:>
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Well, I take the highs of this season and average them with the lows. At this point I rate it as dead average (i.e. 6).  Let the discussion continue, but come June 1, we can each put in a number between 3 and 9 and the average will be where I place this season.  I can say for sure it is not 1 or 2, nor is it 10 or 11.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Seems like the April storm bumps the season for me to slightly above average - perhaps a 5.
  • CannonballCannonball intermediate
    Wow another powder weekend for northern areas as we move into mid-April. Wish I could have been up at Jay! The pics were amazing. Also heard great reports from Cannon, Sunday River, Wildcat and others. This season keeps on giving. Has to be moving into top 3-4 of the past 10.
    As of now I'd say this year is #3
    - Sam