Gateway Hills Snow Park, NH Trip Report Sat. 2/11/2017

ski_itski_it expert
edited February 13 in Trip Reports Posts: 1,653
imageimage
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
IMG_4784.JPG
3264 x 2448 - 2M
IMG_4788.JPG
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

Gateway Hills of course!
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    So.  How about a report - or did the photos tell all?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 12 Posts: 1,653

lol .. I really did at that!

A report may be hard to do, it failed to register on my Ski Tracks app  ;))

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

lol .. I really did at that!

A report may be hard to do, it failed to register on my Ski Tracks app  ;))

The same happened to me at Buck Hill last season.  I took about 15 lift rides, the app showed about 2K vertical and zero runs.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    The new update for that app now automatically puts in the ski area name which is nice. But in this instance it says Nashoba Valley!
    I know GPS has inaccuracies especially with small intervals and I started the app at the "lodge" which could have added 8' of vert. Other stats it reported were 390 total vert in 12 runs which is 32ft vert per run. The delta altitude is 52'. Slope 5° and I covered 1.8 miles.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 13 Posts: 1,653

Gateway Hills Snow Park, NH Trip Report Sat. 2/11/2017 

Ok, so all of you that don’t know me, must have known that I had to keep my record intact and ski the newest ski area in New England as soon as possible. So I did just that.

The Grand Opening:
    Weather: 19° F base 19° F summit, light wind, cloudy, & visibility good. New snow approx. 15" in last 7 days, 2-3” in 24 hours.
    Conditions: Groomed packed powder & powder. 2-10" base, 8 of 8 run lines open (I’d call it 4 “trails”), 1 of 1 lift, NESH says 40 foot vertical on lift. Looking at the topo on NESH the lift looks more like 34’ but maybe 40’ in the area is possible. You can add a few feet by traversing or about 8 if you ski down from the “lodge”. Just watch out for the boulder fence.
    Crowds: Very light - ski on except for one run where we were 1 person back. I counted 11 skiers & riders along with several parents. Four renters were coming out as we packed it in.
    Ticket Purchase: I think maybe there was a discount since it was the grand opening. Online says $25, we paid $20. I think I overheard that kids were less.
    They had 6 features set up on one trail of the Terrain Park Conditions. I think the Progression Terrain Park is a good idea. Hopefully it will work here, the industry needs more feeder areas. They have rentals & night skiing under LED lights.

We pulled into the parking lot and put our gear on there as we knew the “lodge” was a small trailer. This is a top down ski area. The only other top down area I recall skiing is Osceola. You go down some stairs where there is a road in front of the base area with a few parking spots. We were invited into the trailer to fill out a liability form and buy our tickets. The ticket was a purple wrist band. We had problems later with them sticking together. It could have been the temperature, IDK. There were 2 friendly techs from Zimmermans handling rentals. They had boots in the warm ticket trailer & another trailer full of skis & boards. You walk down a ramp (or ski) from the lodge to begin skiing.
    So down we went and after a few turns, you are done. They have a small groomer and 95% was groomed but we found a few stretches of untracked powder on the far left. I was thinking it might be faster to walk up but didn’t try it in ski boots. I think, that would have been bad form. If I was in my XC gear it would have been no contest. A father in hiking boots beat us to the top on one lift ride. Only 3 of the 11 people skiing were adults and I got kick out of seeing the wide smiles on the kid’s faces. An unsolicited story from one child as I rode the carpet with him was that he wanted to go to a big mountain today but his mom said they only had a few hours available so they came here. There were several parents on the slope helping their charges. A couple kids were making use of the terrain features. Cars were stopping on the road beside the park to take a look at the brand new ski resort.

I know it was only the first day but I think they need to clean up a few things on their web sites. I was & from what I heard it seemed like others are confused on pricing, reservations & registering. With their pre-sales groupons and other language, I expected the place might be mobbed the first day. It wasn’t and I have to believe these issues hurt their numbers.
    You have to fill out a liability wavier form when you get there and they told one person you can do it online. I can’t find a way to do that online. Somewhere it says that reservations are strongly recommended, but I found no way to do that either.  One section of their website lists 3 consecutive 3 hour sessions at $25 each. But elsewhere it says, “ALL DAY PARK PASS ONLY $25. SAVE TIME AND REGISTER ONLINE.”
    The rental guy told us that it was Free Friday night for the soft opening and no one, as in zero people, showed up. No wonder, I doubt anyone knew it was free & few thought they were open.

Anyway we had fun. Heck, we were outside in the winter & playing in the snow, just like I have my whole life. We took a dozen plus runs and we were out of there.

• ski_itski_it expert
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    2017_02_11 GH (1).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 4M
    2017_02_11 GH (3).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (5).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (4).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (6).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (7).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (8).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (9).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (10).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (11).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (12).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (13).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (14).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (15).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (16).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    2017_02_11 GH (17).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (18).JPG
    2448 x 2448 - 627K
    2017_02_11 GH (19).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    2017_02_11 GH (20).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (21).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (22).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (23).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    2017_02_11 GH (24).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited February 13 Posts: 1,378
    Wow that's along written AND pictured report for such a small area but excellent just the same

How far from Bahstun?
    I wish them well and hope they have a positive impact on the industry by providing a desparately needed feeder area.
    Great report! Thanks for sharing
    - Sam
    ciscokid said:

Wow that's along written AND pictured report for such a small area but excellent just the same

How far from Bahstun?

35 miles.  Nashoba and Bradford are both much closer and I don't see this as serious competition for either.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited February 13 Posts: 1,061
    Hey that looks great!  Thanks for posting and sharing the info.  Inverted aerials...in case somebody jibs off the trailer?  ;)

The sport needs these places!!!  I wonder if the traffic will justify the expense.  I hope so.  This is terrific!

:)] :)]
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 13 Posts: 1,653

Hey that looks great!  Thanks for posting and sharing the info.  Inverted aerials...in case somebody jibs off the trailer?  ;)

The sport needs these places!!!  I wonder if the traffic will justify the expense.  I hope so.  This is terrific!

:)] :)]

Wow, you actually looked at the pictures! That No Inverted Aerial sign made me chuckle too.

I figured the first new ski area in NH since the early 1970's deserved a long winded report with some pictures. Sam, it's so new I can't even post a condition report on NESC!

Probably can't compete with the Mass areas but can serve the local area. Also maybe for those beginners who do not want to feel any pressure to move beyond their abilities or be scoffed at by Steinesque skiers.  There's also two hotels within walking distance, maybe they should offer some kind of discount for lodgers?

Comparative pricing: Learning area pass at Bradford  $15-24 & at Ward $10-21. McIntyre $19 learning area to a max of $36 holiday junior all lifts. Nashoba $25 for beginner area lift only and 5 & under. Up to $55 for a full day. 

edited February 13 Posts: 1,717
    I think this thread is bigger than the ski area! :))
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Too bad they couldn't get the top of the lift to the road....would have increased vertical by 20%!

I agree: great for the sport if they can keep price low.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Thanks ski_it for the great report! I have posted it on the NELSAP Facebook page too. JD
  • ski_itski_it expert
    NELSAP said:

Thanks ski_it for the great report! I have posted it on the NELSAP Facebook page too. JD

I'm so honored!

Is this my 15 minutes?  ;)) Perhaps I can park in the front row at NELSAP HQ this month.  :D

ski_it said:

NELSAP said:

I'm so honored!

Is this my 15 minutes?  ;)) Perhaps I can park in the front row at NELSAP HQ this month.  :D

Hopefully, Jeremy's posting is not in anticipation of its addition to his list.

Aside to Jeremy (NELSAP): I take it you're not interested in the info I have on FitzGerald (reference to an email I sent)?
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Hi Joshua, just sent you an email - JD