President's Weekend 2017

mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
edited February 16 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 208
My memory is that the past two seasons had severely cold weather gripping the Northeast during President's Weekend. This weekend seems mild (temps >32) and amazing snow pack. Where's everyone going?

Comments

Maybe Black, NH
    - Sam
  • slathamslatham intermediate

Bromley and Magic (especially if they get Back lift running).

Last Presidents weekend the skiing was finally pretty good and Sunday am at my condo at 2,300' it was -23.6 degrees! Saturday was cold too. With the bad winter and those temps it scared off everyone.

This weekend will be the exact opposite with well advertised awesome conditions and a forecast for beautiful and mild weather. It will be packed. So I am tacking the road less traveled.....

• BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Middlebury Snow Bowl
  • SP5SP5 novice
    Heading to quechee on Saturday and ascutney on Sunday to avoid the crowds this weekend.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Magic Mountain, for sure if Black is running like Slatham said, and maybe Dartmouth or Black, NH.  All on my Freedom pass with no blackouts. I may also use my last day at the mighty Mcyntire for a few late day turns midweek after work.
  • JAM614JAM614 novice

Black Mountain of Maine. $37 lift tickets and no lift lines.  Enjoy some of the best skiing in years and the 20 glades are amazing.

https://vimeo.com/199072061

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Whaleback. 100% open.
  • MrMagicMrMagic intermediate
    All great choices above!! I may do Middlebury snow bowl latter in the week
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Mount Snow Saturday, Magic (for a race on Talisman for my daughter) on Sunday, either Mount Snow or Stratton depending on if my daughters postponed race from last weekend at Stratton gets rescheduled for Monday or the following Saturday, Mount Snow on Tuesday 
  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    I'll be at Mt. Snow for the holiday weekend.  Warmer temps and lots-o-snow - it will be busy
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Bretton Woods next Thursday and maybe Friday at someplace a bit more chill.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Saturday Snowjournal meet-up at Berkshire East

One member of our party is really stoked for Magic so I'm going there on Sunday.  If they don't have the black lift running it will be like reliving 1975.  I might bring a pair of 200 CM Spauldings and ski in jeans.  Maybe they'll have the Bay City Rollers on the speakers while we wait and wait  

Might be at Living Memorial in Brattleboro on Monday, or XC somewhere.

Anybody know any specific XC trailheads in the Wilmington/West Dover area on public land?  
    JAM614 said:

Black Mountain of Maine. $37 lift tickets and no lift lines.  Enjoy some of the best skiing in years and the 20 glades are amazing.

Tim Kelley reporting 80" of snow in nearby Andover, Maine. Enjoy!!!!

(Andover, if you aren't familiar with it, isn't the end of the world... but you can see it from there)
  • newmannewman advanced
    Why do people think Magic will have the Black Chair open?
    Because Magic says they might have it open as a double.  It passed the load test for double yesterday.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I'm in the Mount Snow base lodge as I am typing this. It's getting busier, but really dispersed riding today. Bluebird skies, winds have died down, and there is still untracked powder to be had on the side of runs and in the woods.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Enjoy, New England has better conditions than Colorado right now! This would be a fun weekend to travel north esp, to one of those off-the-beaten-path places mentioned in this thread, although I don't think I can do it. Going out west again soon. Down here along the southern PA border and points south we are having a frustratingly sub-par ski season. We've been alternating between two days warm, two days cold all season and unfortunately the moisture seems to mostly come on the warm days. Some of the ski areas with premier snowmaking systems are doing reasonably well, but several of our ski areas with the gnarliest terrain ironically don't have good snowmaking infrastructure and are suffering.
  • slathamslatham intermediate

Because Magic says they might have it open as a double.  It passed the load test for double yesterday.

And its getting inspected today. So there is a shot it gets the green light to run as a double.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    No plans. Current vouchers have blackout dates and I'd rather stay away from crowds.

That being said, looking at Mt Snow/Stratton the following Fri/Sat. May push it off another week as non-frozen precip is forecast at the moment.

Enjoy, All. And be safe.
    My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game......
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Will Living Memorial be open Monday? I'm too lazy to look it up. I recall some places like this do open holiday week, although at other times LM is weekends noon to 4pm,
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    Waterville and Cannon. Got a place at WV so it works but it will be crazy
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

JAM614 said:

I was at Black Mt. last Friday, $20 non-holiday. It's a fun little mt. The video says 15 glades (most are fair short), we skied all but two. They have a lovely base lodge.