A GONDY AT BELLEAYRE??

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    edited June 26 Posts: 938
    My point is they have only proposd one trail to connect the upper and lower mountains. That's not going to be enough to take the uphil capacity.

The alignment may be fine in theory based on topography. But it's not good if you look at existing and planned trails.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    "Catskill Thunder"....silly name. Reminds me of Mt. Bachelor a while back had a cartoon character (The Bachelor Guy) that touted the virtues of skiing "out loud", whatever that was. Not sure what Catskill Thunder is, but not sure I want to experience it while riding a gondola. What redeeming value i there in conjuring images of violent storms when boarding a ski lift. Weird.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited June 27 Posts: 822
    Wanna bet they don't run the Tomahawk lift on weekdays, taking a page from Gore? Everyone would have to ski a flat half-mile below the upper access road to get back to the lift. And that would be another run that would have to get a lot of snowmaking.
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    Geeze. I would have thought they would be more likely to spell Belleayre wrong. ;))

• 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    I'm wondering if some day down the line they are thinking of getting rid of the mid mountain lodge or at least the parking there in the future. (could keep lodge as mid mountain restaurant)  Gondola could indeed be more of a transfer lift but also a good excuse to build a solid top lodge where people could fan out from.  (If you know Bell that could be quite a skate) You see this in the west where at some places you take a gondola from the parking lot to get to the ski area.  Get the old Highmount up and that's quite a spread.  Haven't been in several years but plan to get there this year on Max.

Alex 

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Well I thought Catskill Thunder was an odd name and also thought it was a misssppelling

Cattskill [sic] thunder is described in the second stanza of this poem found in The Friend Volume IV, published in Philadelphia 1831

cattskill thunder.jpg
    468 x 422 - 141K
    Still a silly name for a gondola...
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    Deer Run is going to be a clusterfluff until the Highmount trails open. 
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I seem to recall they said Deer Run was going to be widened and a minor headwall eliminated. There's still a long sidehill section in the middle that won't be fun, like Belt Parkway at Hunter. Don't you think it will be even more of a clusterfluff (I think I get what that means) after Highmount opens?
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Boy you guys are spoiled brats, arguing over names of gondys and what not, be thankful you have these Kaatskil areas to choose from , govt owned or Platty, Huntah, or Wind

You coulda started the best one and had it "taken away " from ye lest ye forget.
    Right Russ?
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Looks like they didn't proof the printing before painting the gondy cars. Karma kickback for a silly name...
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    mapnut said:

I seem to recall they said Deer Run was going to be widened and a minor headwall eliminated. There's still a long sidehill section in the middle that won't be fun, like Belt Parkway at Hunter. Don't you think it will be even more of a clusterfluff (I think I get what that means) after Highmount opens?

I would think Highmount would relieve some of the pressure on Deer Run? Although it does then go from a boundary trail to a center mountain trail. Just thinking that for now I can't imagine many intermediate skiers skating all the way across the ridge to get to Onondaga or Roaring Brook. Unless they alter Dot Nebble, which would be a sin. But if they could get around the headwall on Dot Nebble, the rest of it is pretty flat and wide.
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Well, present access to "the rest of" Dot Nebel is from the midstation of the Tomahawk. Sure hope they don't run that lift less. That's also how intermediates and novices can traverse to the rest of the upper mountain - after skiing Deer Run!

I have a feeling Tomahawk will run a lot less now. Too redundant; too much capacity. Have there been any plans to make access to the below mid-station intermediate runs? Several will now me inaccessible unless you ski a black.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    If they don't run Tomahawk I'll stop going to Belleayre. That serves half of my favorite trails, and there's no way I'm going to ski an even longer, flatter runout to get back to the gondola, more than once a day.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    obienick said:

I have a feeling Tomahawk will run a lot less now. Too redundant; too much capacity. Have there been any plans to make access to the below mid-station intermediate runs? Several will now me inaccessible unless you ski a black.

mapnut said:

If they don't run Tomahawk I'll stop going to Belleayre. That serves half of my favorite trails, and there's no way I'm going to ski an even longer, flatter runout to get back to the gondola, more than once a day.

Until they build the overpass and trail back down to gondi base, they must run Tomahawk, or you'd be stuck.

I see it as the opposite. Snowmaking will start earlier on the Tomahawk trails and lift will start up sooner so they can take advantage of the gondi. Of course, there will be more traffic.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited October 4 Posts: 822
    According to their website, the trail back to the gondola is finished. But no mention of the overpass (underpass?). They also say the Tomahawk lift was painted.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    mapnut said:

According to their website, the trail back to the gondola is finished. But no mention of the overpass (underpass?). They also say the Tomahawk lift was painted.

Ugh, you're correct.....and there is the mention of the trail going thru a tunnel. All the plans I've seen called for a ski bridge.

On the bright side, new seat cushions on Tomahawk & Stupid Chief....
  • orchidorchid novice
    been to bell last weekend; hiked up-gondola well underway-no ski bridge or tunnel as of yet..  Terminus WAY to close to Tomahawk-it will be bedlam up there with the beginners headed to deer run.  Money would have been better spent resurrecting Highmount Ski area-guessing this won't be done until the resort is well underway being built(if it ever gets out of the courts).
    Not thinking they need Highmount until the resort and more bodies come.

Upside to the gondy I suppose is the summer bicycle people. I'm saying this with the assumption that it is profitable for the resorts who offer it. Kmart seems to do a real good business....but then again, this year they moved (or expanded?) some of the bicycle operations to Rams Head, sending people up on chairs, so did Belleayre really need a gondy for this? Kind of thinking out loud here, guess that's why I'm not in the resort business
    ;))
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    orchid said:

been to bell last weekend; hiked up-gondola well underway-no ski bridge or tunnel as of yet..  Terminus WAY to close to Tomahawk-it will be bedlam up there with the beginners headed to deer run.  Money would have been better spent resurrecting Highmount Ski area-guessing this won't be done until the resort is well underway being built(if it ever gets out of the courts).

Thanks for the update. 

No tunnel and time's running out.....
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    A bridge makes more sense because it will carry a lighter load and it'll be easier to get snow on it.
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Today's webcam shows the gondola base terminal being assembled.

http://www.belleayre.com/the-mountain/webcam-feed

cool, thanks for the heads up
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Their Facebook page today shows foundations of the skier bridge going in.
    Nothing like the 11th hour...
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    It's all pre-cast stuff, the deck too. Shouldn't take too long.
  • ZykZyk novice
    So there is an updated map on their website. From the looks of it the gondola is mostly to get out of the base area or am I missing something?  Can't imagine lapping it unless it is much much much faster than the tomahawk.