Ascutney Feb 17th 2017

MrMagicMrMagic advanced
in Trip Reports Posts: 109
I'll let the pictures do the talking but I will say this I had been skiing at Ascutney at least 3 times twice before the high speed quad and one after I recall the lack of natural snow, Okemo would get 10 inches Sunapee 8 and Ascutney would only get 3. It always seemed like they were out of the snow band. While there today it still seemed true that the mountain had far less snow then points north and south. The rope tow is great, fantastic grooming tons of powder. I'll post pictures below.

Comments

• MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Ascutney
    20170217_134524.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 872K
    Not sure why the thumbnails are sideways but if you click them they seem to be right side up

20170217_132504.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    20170217_140016.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 670K
    20170217_143724.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 830K
    I heard the double chair is unusable any more info on that ? If I recall the drive was bent ?
    20170217_141712.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    20170217_140453.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 580K
    20170217_143326.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 961K
    The remains of the high speed. It is really to bad they couldn't sell off that lift and use the money to stay open with the tripple chair so sad to see all those Condos at the base of the ski area looking out on overgrown slopes a broken chair lift and a burnt out base lodge
    20170217_135759.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 674K
    Top of the Sunnyside chair
    20170217_134657.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1023K
    20170217_143212.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    MrMagic said:

The remains of the high speed. It is really to bad they couldn't sell off that lift and use the money to stay open with the tripple chair so sad to see all those Condos at the base of the ski area looking out on overgrown slopes a broken chair lift and a burnt out base lodge

Nice report. Not sure if it is so bad... Crotched got a sweet upgrade and Ascutney is doing something that is pretty cool as a local community area for all sorts of outdoor recreationalists including skiers and riders that enjoy hiking for turns. I've always wondered if a decent mid-sized area could make something like that work. Too bad for those that only ride lifts I guess but Ascutney is a pretty cool project. Shame they don't get more snow, though. I still want to hit that place for a skin and ski at some point.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Thanks for the update. Wow that rope is bigger than I thought. I need to go back.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • SP5SP5 novice
    Skied there on Sunday, was a really fun time and the weather was great. Lower mountain is well covered with the trails easily see able from the base area. Lodge is coming down, once it's down they will be building a new one. I expect that we will see lift service back in the next five years, probably either the double or another lift.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    SP5 said:

Skied there on Sunday, was a really fun time and the weather was great. Lower mountain is well covered with the trails easily see able from the base area. Lodge is coming down, once it's down they will be building a new one. I expect that we will see lift service back in the next five years, probably either the double or another lift.

Why would you expect to ever see lift service back at Ascutney? It is run by a local non-profit organization catering to all non-motorized use of the mountain. Everything I have seen from the organization running the place suggests that they are very happy not having anything more than a rope tow for learning. The lodge is coming down because it is an eye sore and a blemish on the area, not to make room for another lodge...
    I belive they had suggest and looked into installing some kind of surface lift to or just below the old triple midstation. I could be wrong on this but I seem to recall that being discussed as well as the old Sunnyside double being unusable.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I talked with the director there last year - and yes, they do hope someday to get another lift in to the midstation, possibly a surface one. They can only go so far up, but want to provide a more complete experience someday than just a rope tow.
  • AzSkiAzSki intermediate
    Nice pics Mr Magic.   I liked Ascutney when I lived in NH and MA and hope they continue to keep it open for skiing.
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    NELSAP said:

I talked with the director there last year - and yes, they do hope someday to get another lift in to the midstation, possibly a surface one. They can only go so far up, but want to provide a more complete experience someday than just a rope tow.

Why can they only go so far up?
  • obienickobienick expert
    The top was bought by a nonprofit for conservation land IIRC.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    obienick said:

The top was bought by a nonprofit for conservation land IIRC.

Interesting.  I thought the top was leased forest service land. 
  • obienickobienick expert
    I don't think the summit of the HSQ quite reached the State Park land.  Which is why it was a half-a***d addition as it only added about 250 ft with still quite a bit of mountain remaining (about another 150 ft to the top of north end of the ridge and about another 700 to the top top of the mountain).  A lot of the upper mountain (above the mid-station IIRC) was purchased as town conservation land and will never see lift-served skiing again.
    obienick said:

I don't think the summit of the HSQ quite reached the State Park land.  Which is why it was a half-a***d addition as it only added about 250 ft with still quite a bit of mountain remaining (about another 150 ft to the top of north end of the ridge and about another 700 to the top top of the mountain).  A lot of the upper mountain (above the mid-station IIRC) was purchased as town conservation land and will never see lift-served skiing again.

Just as well in my opinion I seem to recall a lot of complaints about snow and trail conditions at the top of the quad
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    MrMagic said:

obienick said:

Just as well in my opinion I seem to recall a lot of complaints about snow and trail conditions at the top of the quad

Yup.  The top of the former "summit" triple is all that is needed.  I wish there at least existed a slight chance this mountain could operate fully again, sounds like that will never happen.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    obienick said:

There were lots of mistakes.  IMO the biggest was not budgeting for the infrastructure (i.e. snowmaking) needed at the unloading station as well as planning a few additional ways off from the unloading area so that it didn't bottleneck.
  • SP5SP5 novice
    It's public information on their webpage and their Facebook page. The lodge is demolished and they will be using part of the foundation to build the new one on, four season lodge open year round for anyone using the mountain.

Their master plan has them putting a double in two years, not sure if they will use the one already their or not, tubing is planned on the lower slope in the next year, like over at arrowhead in clarmount.