New Jersey's BEST ski shop is closing its doors!

njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 72
Some devistating news! Sadly I will be adding the BEST ski shop in New Jersey to my lost list.

HEINO'S SKI SHOP will be closing its doors on April 30, 2017.

Greg Pier is retiring to spend more time with his family.

The shop has outfitted the New Jersey High School Ski Teams for many, many years. Also some US Ski Team members and some that went on to the Olympics.

Not sure yet - but some of the boot fitters may go to another location.

The clearance sale starts February 20th.

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Curious to know when it was established. As a Pequannock Panther for two years I don't remember it in the early '70s. We always did biz with Denville ski and sport on 46.

Do remember the Wayne Manor, Triangle Hofbrau and awful awful milk shakes near Packinac
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited February 20 Posts: 229

42 years in business.

Sad to see it go, but 42 years as a small, independent business is a success story.

As a small business owner, I know how rough it can be, and hope that I can say I kept my business going for 42 years. The Obama administration was not small business friendly, so I can only hope that despite it's shortcomings, the new administration will be an improvement,

• marcskimarcski advanced
    edited February 20 Posts: 195
    I wouldn't start making political statements where they don't belong....the new administration will be hurtul at best to the long term interests of the ski industry.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Heino sold it to Greg about 1989
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    So who's left in jerz? Ski barn, Princeton,?
    I.e. Old long term names
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    It must be tough to compete with the big online shops (skis.com) when people come in for your expertise, then go home to "think about it", then find the same skis online for $100 less. I could see the local ski shop is transitioning to a service industry from sales.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    marcski said:

I wouldn't start making political statements where they don't belong....the new administration will be hurtul at best to the long term interests of the ski industry.

Please re-read my statement. It was geared toward small business in general, not ski industry.

And I agree, this is not the place for political statements, so it ends here.

• ERockWERockW novice
    I am going up Saturday to try on boots. I am working with a boot fitter and I have a list of boots to try on.  Unfortunately there are not many of the boots on the top of our list to try on in the Bucks County area.  Hopefully I can try some of them on there.  I probably will not buy anything that I might have to return since it will be a clearance deal.  My boot fitter wants me to show up with the two best boots for me for us to work with, so a return might not be in the cards.  I do not want to send away for boots, try them on then send them back but I will if I have to.  Either way, I will walk away from Heino's with something jacket, gloves, boots for wife, if there is a deal.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate

Heino originally was in Garfield with a partner. He moved to Pequannock in 1972 or 1973. I used work for Heino during busy times thru my high school years.  

Cisco - Princeton Ski Shops closed in 2008. The only ski shops in Bergen county are Ski Barn and REI in Paramus, Mt Everest in Westwood and Ultimate in Ramsey. Curry's on Rt 17N in Ramsey has been closed for at least 5 years. Sitzmark in Pearl River, NY, closed last year. 

The Awful Awful Milkshake was sold at Bond's.

• millerm277millerm277 novice
    NJSki said:

It must be tough to compete with the big online shops (skis.com) when people come in for your expertise, then go home to "think about it", then find the same skis online for $100 less. I could see the local ski shop is transitioning to a service industry from sales.

I never got the impression in there that he's been hurting for business. If anything, it's seemed like he needed an expansion, that building is tight and usually packed.

It's always (to me at least) seemed like a shop that was already setup for the "service industry" you speak of. Most people in there were there for custom bootfitting, racing equipment/tuning/mounting, season rentals, etc. 

It's very much not a place that seemed to make it's money off of selling people list price skis or clothing. They don't even sell snowboards because they don't have room for them.
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    I found in my 2 shops that there just isn't enough money for an old style brick and mortar shop with just service, rentals, accessories.......you need big ticket items to pay the big bills.  (Alpine Sports, Glen Ridge NJ '83-'92 / Rocky Mtn Sports Outlet, Laramie WY '01-'04)

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Surprising that the "good will" associated with being the "best ski shop in NJ" doesn't translate into the ability to sell the business.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    flbski said:

I found in my 2 shops that there just isn't enough money for an old style brick and mortar shop with just service, rentals, accessories.......you need big ticket items to pay the big bills.  (Alpine Sports, Glen Ridge NJ '83-'92 / Rocky Mtn Sports Outlet, Laramie WY '01-'04)

You were Alpine Sports in Glen Ridge? 855 Bloomfield Ave, in the Glen Ridge Arcade building with the arches! Our paths must have crossed a few times. I lived near Ski Barn in Little Falls, so they got most of my business, but I used you guys as well, especially for rentals.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    The Washington DC area lost it's best shop when Ski Center closed in 2016. Several of the key employees & boot fitters took over The Ski Shoppe Ltd north of Baltimore this winter. 
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    Yes, NJSki, that's the building......Alpine Sports/Glen Ridge did a "boatload" of rentals.  Fun, but not usually profitable times.......
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    edited March 11 Posts: 72
    Heino Nowak was the first owner. He was in several other NJ ski shops before he started his own shop in the 1970s. 

Greg Pier does a tremendous amount of business in this small shop! People have come from other states to buy their boots at Heino's and have them custom fit by Greg and his staff. Pretty much caters to the High School ski racing crowd. The people that come to his shop are not the typical skiers that go to the big box ski shops. His decision to close the shop has NOTHING to do with any competition.

On average he sells over 700 pair of custom fit ski boots a year. 

He is retiring because he wants to spend more time with his family.

He will be doing some boot fitting at another location - but that has not been made public yet. I am not sure what is happening to the rest of the employees.

Stop in and say hello to Greg and his staff. Big sales if you need equipment or clothing. 

THE DOORS CLOSE ON APRIL 30, 2017.

DOVER SKI & SPORT on Route 46 in Dover, NJ is also closing its doors in December 2017. 

One of the owners (Lou Albanese) passed away a few days after Christmas.

Heino originally was in Garfield with a partner. He moved to Pequannock in 1972 or 1973. I used work for Heino during busy times thru my high school years.  

Cisco - Princeton Ski Shops closed in 2008. The only ski shops in Bergen county are Ski Barn and REI in Paramus, Mt Everest in Westwood and Ultimate in Ramsey. Curry's on Rt 17N in Ramsey has been closed for at least 5 years. Sitzmark in Pearl River, NY, closed last year. 

The Awful Awful Milkshake was sold at Bond's.

Ramsey Ski & Bike is still there - 44 East Main Street - Ramsey.