Magic Mountain 2/19/2017

2»

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    What about a t bar where the one was on Showoff? That would keep things retro.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited February 26 Posts: 201
    IMHO, the new mgt has done and is doing an outstanding job. The place was basically in shambles when he took over late this fall. Years of delayed maintenance from lifts, to snowmaking to the lodge made the place feel decrepit, not retro.

I was there on Thursday 2/23/17. The lodge was bright and inviting. Bathroom was clean; all urinals and toilets were in working order as far as I could tell. Workers in the lodge were friendly and helpful despite my enthusiasm and constant questioning. ;). The mountain skied remarkably well considering the (above average) temps all week. While perhaps lacking a continuous steep fall line, Magic has as much gnar factor as many of the larger, more well-known ski areas. The upper mountain is steep and rocky with jumps, cliffs and other natural features, which, with the right snowfall, become an expert skier's playground paradise.

IMHO, getting the Black lift back was huge. Magic needs 2 summit lifts, given how old those chairs are. I think the only older chairs that reliable lifts are Halls. Those things are workhorses. At this point for Magic, snowmaking improvements must be their number one priority. Updating, repairing and replacing infrastructure such as pipes, compressors, guns, etc. and expanding and improving snowmaking terrain should be their most important task. They need to offer a good, consistent product from Christmas/New Years through President's Day. Without that, there is no need for additional lifts. Even this year, other than President's weekend were there any liftlines to speak of?

In my personal opinion, once they get there, they should consider putting in a new Green Chair lift and then perhaps changing the blackline to an upper mountain chairlift. They may need to extend Wand a bit so one would be able to access this new upper mountain Black Chair from Wand after riding the Green Chair. But again, IMHO, as long as new mgt keeps up with maintenance and repairs, new lifts can wait a bit until the mountain is back in the back.

Magic was the first place I skied about 47 years ago. I introduced my youngest to Magic on Thursday...and would love to be able to get the chance do the same to her kids in about 20 years or so. Long live Magic!
  • slathamslatham advanced
    marcski, pretty spot on with your observations. On snowmaking, they have already repaired pipe, installed new "Variable Frequency Drives" for the pumps, purchased circa 45 new HKD snow guns (some ground guns, some portable towers, a bunch of permanent towers) and are testing a number of new fan guns. I have heard of plans to fix the pond, add a mid mountain booster pump for more water up high, and continue pipe fixing. They certainly want and need at east 50% of terrain covered with a man made base, with a good amount of terrain available for Christmas and even more for MLK (and of course Presidents). They will have budget to make more snow than they did this year, and to make snow earlier than this year as they weren't up and running this year until late December (due to delay in closing on purchase).

Not sure I agree with Black being an upper mountain lift, starting at Wand. Most of the West Side expert terrain only leads to the bottom, and also a few favorites on the East Side too. Plus they need the ability to run a summit lift while the other is down for maintenance. So two TTB lifts are key.

As I have said before, they are at least looking into finishing Green/Phoenix. I see both sides of the argument but don't know the key variable - how much to finish it?
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited February 27 Posts: 201
    I was just trying to figure out a way to eliminate some of the run-out at the bottom.  But, yes, I forgot about Talisman, Sorcerer and what lies between.  Like I said in my original post, I'm happy with the two lifts the way they are... IMHO, if you're skiing Magic correctly, the rest time is greatly needed. Hey, I know I do it sometimes these days...

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    From NESI then Magic's Facebook.

Black Chair at Magic Mountain Set to Reopen After Multi-Year
    Closure

The lift is scheduled to open as a
    double chair on Saturday morning.

Friday, February 17, 2017, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com

Ski Lifts Unlimited's George Kruger and Magic Mountains's Geoff Hathaway

Ski Lifts Unlimited's George Kruger and Magic Mountains's Geoff Hathaway

After a multi-year closure due to repairs, lack of funds, and changes in ownership,
    the Black Chair at Magic Mountain has passed state inspection and is scheduled
    to operate this weekend. According to Magic Mountain's web site, the lift has
    been certified as a double chairlift, meaning only two people can ride on each
    three person chair.

The roughly 5,500 foot long by 1,500 foot vertical lift was installed as
    Magic's first chairlift for the 1962-63 season. Manufactured by Pohlig, the
    original centerpole double chairs were replaced with Yan triple chairs for the
    1985-86 season. The lift was one of only two not removed when Magic was
    liquidated during its 1990s closure.

Black Chair, Magic Mountain, 2016

The idle Black Chair in 2016

The lift last operated for the public during the 2013-14 season. The State of
    Vermont then required modifications to the lift in order to reopen to the
    public. As a result, the Red Chair provided the only lift service to main
    mountain in subsequent seasons.

In November 2016, Ski Magic LLC, led by former Magic Mountain Marketing
    Director Geoff Hatheway, purchased the ski area and ramped up repairs and
    improvements to the mountain's aging infrastructure. The successful inspection
    of the Black Chair marks the achievement of yet another goal set by the new
    ownership.

Magic Mountain Ski Area Mid stations no longer allowed by
    tramway board as they are deemed less safe. Some of these are still
    grandfathered as they have been continuously running. So that's a no go for
    Magic. Plus that mid station was in a bad place to access the type of terrain we
    want to access

• slathamslatham advanced
    marcski said:

I was just trying to figure out a way to eliminate some of the run-out at the bottom.  But, yes, I forgot about Talisman, Sorcerer and what lies between.  Like I said in my original post, I'm happy with the two lifts the wa
    y they are... IMHO, if you're skiing Magic correctly, the rest time is greatly needed. Hey, I know I do it sometimes these days...

Yes understand the point of eliminating the run out. In "fantasy land" there is an additional chair starting just downhill of wizard, between Tali and Sorcerer, that goes up to the true summit (at the cell towers) with new trials skiers left above Slide of Hans and Wizard.