Interesting Google Maps pictures Near Gore

philphil intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 20
I was looking at a google maps earth view near Gore and noticed in a large straight cleared area near the old mines on the back of Gore mountain that there were what looks like 29 lift towers or parts of lift towers in a neat row on the ground.

Any ideas what from?

Comments

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Wow, good eyes! Here it is. Maybe the old Adirondack Express?

Jeremy
    Image2.jpg
    1047 x 948 - 391K
  • casual_weekdaycasual_weekday intermediate
    edited February 20 Posts: 57
    Could definitely be the old adirondack express. They did say towers could potentially be reused for a new lift back when AEII was installed. Maybe for a new Sunway or High Peaks chair? I find it odd that its back in the Mines. Is that state property or are they using/renting space back there?
    Ski it or die trying
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    You're probably looking at Garnet Mtn. (aka Harvey Mtn.)

• mapnutmapnut expert
    Those towers are located at the bottom of what would be a very nice West Face development for Gore, 1100 vertical feet of varied terrain.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Garnet is farther down the road. However, the Barton Mines did have a rope tow above the area with the towers.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited February 20 Posts: 853
    Yes, those are the old AE towers.  You can compare them to imagethis pic:

Interesting they were brought there. As far as I know the Barton Mines are private land.  For refereence, they are on the old air strip.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    mapnut said:

Those towers are located at the bottom of what would be a very nice West Face development for Gore, 1100 vertical feet of varied terrain.

Would make the most odd trail layout in the east even weirder...but would be nice. West face would not hold snow well, but good pitch
  • philphil intermediate
    That was probably an easy out of the way place to drop the towers with a helicopter
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate

There has been some discussion that they are going to reuse those AE1 towers to replace the high peaks chair.