Black Mountain, NH beta?

djspookmandjspookman advanced
edited February 21 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 300
I'm heading to Black Mtn NH on Wednesday if all goes well with a work project up near there. Anyone have any 'must do's' there? I'm a ski-anything- anytime- any conditions guy..

Thanks!
D

Comments

I'm heading up today and I'll report back on what's good!
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

Anyone have any 'must do's' there? 

Black Mt is my personal fave, just being there is my must do!  Most of the terrain is easy, gentle, scenic, enjoyable.  The lifts are slow and good for conversations.  There are hard-to-find "trails" and little surprises here and there.

If you dial in your expectations accordingly you'll have a great time. 
    :)] :)] :)>- :-bd
  • JimKJimK advanced

comments from 2010 visit

Black Mountain

If Attitash is woodsy and Wildcat is old school, then Black Mountain is an absolute time warp. From the low prices, to the active horse corral beside the base lodge, to the vintage double chair with lattice lift towers, the vibe at Black isn’t reminiscent of the old days, it IS the old days. The first lift we took at Black was an ancient platter pull. Sentimental fool that I am, I felt a twinge of emotion halfway up the ride while reflecting on the 75 year history of skiers enjoying this mountain, the oldest ski area in the state. The place oozed with soul and though it may be long in the tooth, it’s still got some bite!

Lostbo Glades at Black Mountain. Photo provided by Jim Kenney 

At first blush Black Mountain looks like a benign little mom and pop establishment. It’s extremely affordable. A family of four can ski weekends for less than $30 each and on the non-holiday Wednesday of our visit an afternoon lift ticket was just $15. There are some interesting and wonderfully sheltered green circle runs on the lower mountain, but any ski area that has been continuously operated since 1935 must have more going for it than nursery slopes and nostalgia. Warning, if you underestimate Black’s terrain you will get your backside kicked.

The longer we snooped around, the more steep, little glade shots we found all over the 1100 vertical feet of Black. Among the approximately 45 marked trails are some short, but very steep drops and tight, corkscrew type runs. It’s a funky mountain with many nooks and crannies. An abbreviated list of our black diamond explorations included Carter Notch and Lostbo glades, Hanger Cliff, and the short, but scary Mr. Rew trail - the single steepest thing we skied all week. When making an extended visit to the Mount Washington Valley I can recommend Black Mountain as a budget-friendly, low crowd alternative capable of entertaining every skill level in your group. I can also attest to the very tasty plate of french fries they serve in the base lodge.

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced

I'm heading to Black Mtn NH on Wednesday if all goes well with a work project up near there. Anyone have any 'must do's' there? I'm a ski-anything- anytime- any conditions guy..

Thanks!
    D

It is a small mountain, you'll be able to cover everything in a day. So there really aren't any "must do's". Ski it all, great mid-sized mountain and perfect pick for a vaca week. 
    Visited today and they still have most trails open. I was able to ski pretty much everything in a single day, so you don't have to worry about missing anything. If you like steep glades Lostbo Glades were skiing well with good cover today. Maple Slalom, Roller Coaster, Sun Valley, and Black Diamond all moguled up a bit and were fun to ski in the sun. Big Dipper and Jackson Standard were good groomed runs. Upper Galloping Goose had thin cover, but was still a fun run. It's also fun to make your way in to the maze of narrow blue and green trails on the east side of the mountain.
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

Visited today and they still have most trails open. I was able to ski pretty much everything in a single day, so you don't have to worry about missing anything. If you like steep glades Lostbo Glades were skiing well with good cover today. Maple Slalom, Roller Coaster, Sun Valley, and Black Diamond all moguled up a bit and were fun to ski in the sun. Big Dipper and Jackson Standard were good groomed runs. Upper Galloping Goose had thin cover, but was still a fun run. It's also fun to make your way in to the maze of narrow blue and green trails on the east side of the mountain.

Did I miss your massive photo report?
    ciscokid said:

Did I miss your massive photo report?

It'll be out in about a half hour.
    - Sam