Ski Areas Not Owned by a Big, For-Profit Corporation

CannonballCannonball advanced
edited February 27 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 130
I was reading the SJ thread about Tenney, which lead me to Tenney's FB page, which lead me to a post on their page that says: "Time to call out Mad River Glen. They claim to be "America's ONLY skier-owned mountain". Sure seems like Michael is a skier/owner to me!"

I'm not so sure that Tenney can take that credit yet since they haven't opened.  But it did make me wonder is MRG really "America's ONLY skier-owned mountain"?  That is what they claim right on their home page.  I understand the point they are making about the co-op.  But is it true?  There must be other mountains owned by skiers in America right?  The first one I thought of is Black Mt. NH.  I know they are family-owned, although I have no idea if the family are skiers. The new owners of Magic are skiers right? Tenney will qualify when they open.  

You guys know more about ski area ownership then I do.  What's you list of "Skier-owned mountains in America"?

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I suspect that if we are talking about "a skier owned mountain" as opposed to a corporate owned mountain, there are lots of them.  MRG is a co-op owned by lots of skiers.  Would the Hermitage qualify?
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Hermitage would probably qualify. 

MRG's web page says: "Did you know that Mad River Glen is America's ONLY skier-owned mountain?"  So that the question to consider. 
  • newmannewman advanced
    What about the guy at Lost Valley? Didn't he love skiing the place so much he ended up buying it?
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited February 25 Posts: 256
    I think you are reading MRG's caption too literally. Clearly, the intent of the caption is to focus on the fact that the mountain is cooperatively owned by many of its customers that purchased ownership shares in the mountain. Not that all of the owners of the mountain are skiers, which I suspect might apply to a lot of ownerships. 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Skier-owned: Only skiers have shares. 

Other have snowboarders, so MRG is technically the only skier-owned mt.
    edited February 25 Posts: 130
    riverc0il said:

I think you are reading MRG's caption too literally. Clearly, the intent of the caption is to focus on the fact that the mounotain is cooperatively owned by many of its customers that purchased ownership shares in the mountain. Not that all of the owners of the mountain are skiers, which I suspect might apply to a lot of ownerships. 

I understand what they meant (as I said in my original post). It raised a question / thread idea for me: What are the skier-owned mountains in America? Suggestions so far:
    - Hermatige
    - Lost Valley
    - Black Mountain, NH
    - Tenney (when they open)
    - Magic
    I think Loveland still is also. As is Silverton
    Suggestions so far:
    - Hermatige
    - Lost Valley
    - Black Mountain, NH
    - Magic
    - Loveland
    - Silverton
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Sugarbush! Win skis 100 plus days.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Chuckstah you just beat me ... I was goigng to say Sugarbush.

Probably pretty much all non-corporate ski areas are owned by a skier.  You don't buy a business you aren't interested in.
    Oak Mt., NY. The O'Brien family skis.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Thought the owner of Tenney wasn't a skier!
    edited February 26 Posts: 130
    mapnut said:

Thought the owner of Tenney wasn't a skier!

Apparently he wasn't, but now he's been out a few times and seems hooked. That makes him a skier in my book.

That doesn't work because I personally know snowboarders and complete non-skiers who are MRG shareholder.

Suggestions so far:
    - Hermatige
    - Lost Valley
    - Black Mountain, NH
    - Magic
    - Loveland
    - Silverton
    - Oak Mtn
    - Sugarbush
    - Mad River Glen (forgot to add it initially)
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    So what about the community owned/operated mountains?
    This thread would be easier to sort out if it were entitled "Ski Areas Not Owned by a Big, For-Profit Corporation"
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    Surprised nobody mentioned Plattekill.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Caberfae Mi- the Meyer family has owned it since the early 80s.

Must be profitable after stepping to plate to put in brand new triple this year( or in a lotta debt)
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

That doesn't work because I personally know snowboarders and complete non-skiers who are MRG shareholder.

Suggestions so far:
    - Hermatige
    - Lost Valley
    - Black Mountain, NH
    - Magic
    - Loveland
    - Silverton
    - Oak Mtn
    - Sugarbush
    - Mad River Glen (forgot to add it initially)
    Maybe it should be rephrased to: Did you know MRG is the only mountain coop where you cannot snowboard at?

Maybe it should be rephrased to: Did you know MRG is the only mountain coop where you cannot snowboard at?
    Now that would be undisputable!
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    ciscokid said:

Caberfae Mi- the Meyer family has owned it since the early 80s.

Must be profitable after stepping to plate to put in brand new triple this year( or in a lotta debt)

I was told that the Meyer brothers have another source of income for there everyday living expenses and the ski hill just needs to break even, but judging by the new lift and the continuous snow making improvements I would say they are makeing a profit.
  • JonniJonni intermediate
    Lyndon Outing Club would qualify for this list, as would Cochrans. Would Bolton and Smuggs count?
    Skier-owned Mountains (AKA Ski Areas Not Owned by a Big, For-Profit Corporation)

Suggestions so far:
    - Hermatige
    - Lost Valley
    - Black Mountain, NH
    - Magic
    - Loveland
    - Silverton
    - Oak Mtn
    - Sugarbush
    - Mad River Glen
    - Plattekill
    - Caberfae 
    - Lyndon Outing Club
    - Cochrans
    - Bolton 
    - Smugglers Notch

Also thinking:
    - Dartmouth Skiway
    - Whaleback 

• obienickobienick expert
    How are we defining "big, for-profit corporations"?  For example the Wachusett lease is owned by the Crowleys (of Polar Beverage fame). Obviously the Polar arm of the family's holdings is a large for-profit corporation, but technically it isn't Polar who owns Wawa.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    One thing to mention is that Bolton is owned by Redstone Vermont, which is a for profit real estate management group. Not sure if that would kick it out of this list or not.
    Abram is owned by the Mountain Rider's Alliance. How would you classify that?
    - Sam
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Bousquet
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Wachusett. The land is owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as part of the state park. The ski area infrastructure is owned by the Crowleys, who lease the land. Crowley siblngs  Jeff, Dave and Carolyn, who run the place,  all are very good skiers.
    Ward Hill - Ski Ward. The owners, whose names I don't know, are skiers. The land may still be owned by the Ward family or successors and leased by the ski area. When Ed Fedeli and Bob Rochette put in the lodge, snowmaking, lights and the T-bars and ropes in the early 1960s that's the way it was. (I don't remember that Ed and Bob skied much, if at all).
  • newmannewman advanced
    Bill29 said:

Wachusett. The land is owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as part of the state park. The ski area infrastructure is owned by the Crowleys, who lease the land. Crowley siblngs  Jeff, Dave and Carolyn, who run the place,  all are very good skiers.

Ward Hill - Ski Ward. The owners, whose names I don't know, are skiers. The land may still be owned by the Ward family or successors and leased by the ski area. When Ed Fedeli and Bob Rochette put in the lodge, snowmaking, lights and the T-bars and ropes in the early 1960s that's the way it was. (I don't remember that Ed and Bob skied much, if at all).
    John and Effie LeCrox own Ski Ward. The Ward family still ownes the land.
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    Jonni said:

Lyndon Outing Club would qualify for this list, as would Cochrans. Would Bolton and Smuggs count?

Not Smugg's.  Bill Stritzler is not a skier.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Thunder Ridge and Mt Peter in NY are owned by skiing families (at least they used to be)

Elk Mountain PA is family owned, can't imagine they wouldn't be skiers