Okemo 2/23/2017

bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
edited February 27 in Trip Reports Posts: 262
Sorry, it's a couple days late but I still think there may be value.  Fun spring-like skiing at Okemo last Thursday.  Temps in the high 50's, we parked at Jackson Gore around 9:00 and there were only 60 cars or so.  Considering they opened at 8:00, that was cool.  Conditions were totally soft right from the get-go.  Never waited more than 3 minutes for a lift.  Good cover on all the designated trails. The glades were a decent with some dicey spots here and there.  I really enjoyed the Loose Spruce glade on the south face.  Also enjoyed the usual bumps on Sel's Choice.  Had to really pick my way on both Double Diamond and Outrage.  The Solitude lift was empty and the trails were skiing very, very, well.   Quantum Leap right under the Jackson Gore lift was nice and the Black Hole glade next door was fine.  Mid-afternoon large piles of heavy, wet, snow were falling off the Quantum Four lift shed roof.  Definitely quite scary seeing these huge sheets of snow falling near folks standing in line.  Shoveling these roofs near the route of the lift line would be prudent in the future.  Overall a wonderful day.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
IMG_0945.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0947.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0949.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0951.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0953.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0956.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0958.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 1M
IMG_0960.JPG
2016 x 1512 - 2M

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Bubble- have you been hanging out with Sam the New England skier? Excellent belated pictured report and empty trails midweek, empty six packs!

Keep up the great reports, thanks, glades look good to me.

Funny thing I skied there one day in 1979 after a day at Mt Snow and finding a bed and breakfast with no reservation on Rt 100. There was nothing super memorable skiing there but I should have remembered all the Poma surface lifts but don't. ( too much beer I guess) I do remember going through the roads in '07 with my wife and driving under a railroad trestle at the base of the area and the arsenal of snow makers after going to the Vermont country store. stayed in Cavendish right next to some castle
  • obienickobienick expert
    Is that snowmaking pipe in a glade?
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Yep
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced

ciscokid said:

Bubble- have you been hanging out with Sam the New England skier? 

I don't think so.  Should I be?

ciscokid said:

Excellent belated pictured report and empty trails midweek, empty six packs!

Keep up the great reports, thanks, glades look good to me.

Funny thing I skied there one day in 1979 after a day at Mt Snow and finding a bed and breakfast with no reservation on Rt 100. There was nothing super memorable skiing there but I should have remembered all the Poma surface lifts but don't. ( too much beer I guess) I do remember going through the roads in '07 with my wife and driving under a railroad trestle at the base of the area and the arsenal of snow makers after going to the Vermont country store. stayed in Cavendish right next to some castle

Thanks.  Oddly, yes, this is midweek, but Presidents Day school vacation week.  I was a bit surprised (and very pleased) by the absence of insane crowds.  That VT country store caught my Wife's eye...thankfully, we had a carload and a good excuse to carry on without stopping.