Plymouth Notch aka Bear Creek aka Round Top, Vermont

ski_itski_it expert
edited March 6 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,484

I'll ask my usual question. Has anybody been past Plymouth Notch aka Hawk's Inn aka Bear Creek aka Round Top this season to see if they are operating?

And how recent?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    It appears that Hawk Mt. bought Bear Creek:

Recreation ~ Downhill Skiing ~ Bear Creek Mountain Club

No more lift lines, no more ticket lines, no more waiting to get up, get down, get in or get out. It's not a completely new concept, the creators simply looked back to when we first started skiing.

Just two miles from Hawk's world-renowned Inn and luxurious, private villas,

http://www.hawkresort.com/winter/dhbearcreek.html

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 6 Posts: 1,484
    TomWhite said:

It appears that Hawk Mt. bought Bear Creek:

I believe that is an orphan site or not...?? I'm so confused... See http://www.skithenotch.com/

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/bearcreek.php

All I can say for certain is the Hawk Inn building is 3-4 miles south and the building shown on the Plymouth Notch site is at the mountain.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited March 6 Posts: 759
    Is there any reason it's gone through a progression of several owners attempting to run it privately?  I think this is now the 3rd or 4th owner?  Granted it has limited snowmaking and only one chair, but no ads (like Hermitage), no ongoing housing development (like Hermitage) and shoeing the public away keeps cashflow down.  It's strange that the same M.O. has been tried again and again.  
    On Hawk's "winter page.":
    And, new to Hawk country, the Bear Creek Mountain Club at Round Top has introduced a unique skiing experience to the Northeast - that of the private ski mountain. Approximately three miles from Hawk, Bear Creek has become a hot new attraction to the town of Plymouth.

Then the "BCMC" link has what I posted above and this:

Bear Creek Mountain Club functions as a private club of no more than 2,650 members. The mountain operates similar to a country club, with an initiation fee and annual dues. Members are be able to ski or snowboard by paying a daily fee, and construction of a health club and mountain biking facilities are planned.

This winter, Bear Creek is operating with one new chairlift and fifteen trails which are open for limited use by only 450 people per day. However, as many as 40 trails are planned to open within the next five to seven years, whereas the original Round Top ski mountain had only 15 trails. A new clubhouse was recently completed, offering significant advantages over its massive base lodge counterparts at other ski areas.

All in all, Bear Creek Mountain Club promises to become a place where skiers can bring some of the privacy for which Hawk has become famous onto the slopes with them.

Perhaps there's a use agreement. Otherwise one would think there would be a purchase reference.

While Hawk calls it Bear Creek, ski__it is correct, they call themselves Plymouth Notch. The web-site is active and they appear to be skiing:
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    "Hot new attraction" - that sounds like an alternative fact.
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    They are operating this year (or were) they were offering a 108 dollar ticket to non members (included lunch) during Xmas break and Jan.
  • obienickobienick expert
    It is indeed an alternative fact.  Their lift is from '64, rebuilt in '98 with parts from the Old Reliable Double at Attitash.
  • hrstrat57hrstrat57 novice
    $6k

You got it you got it....
  • ski_itski_it expert
    TomWhite said:

While Hawk calls it Bear Creek, ski__it is correct, they call themselves Plymouth Notch. The web-site is active and they appear to be skiing:

I just think the Hawk hasn't updated their website since 2012.

http://www.thevermontstandard.com/2016/03/in-plymouth-notch-a-private-playground-for-panagrossis-pals/

But my question was has anyone been by PN recently?