From Win today...

I am really pleased to announce that Sugarbush has become part of the
Mountain Collective. This was created a few years ago by Aspen to respond
to Vail's Epic Pass. The members now included 16 of the best owner
operated ski areas not only in the USA but also Canada and with global
affiliates in Japan, France, and Chile. Last year they surveyed their
members and discovered that they ranked Sugarbush as the number one
Eastern Resort they would like included in the Mountain Collective. This
year Sugarbush will be the only Eastern Resort in the Mountain Collective.
Here is the link to their site: https://mountaincollective.com. I have
attached a press release that was sent out at 1pm today as well as some
Frequently Asked Questions about the Mountain Collective.We will begin
selling our season passes on  March 18th and prior to that I will
update you on some of the exciting changes we will be making for the
2017/2018.

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump

Comments

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    bmwskier said:

From Win today...

2017/2018.

I'm fairly shocked to hear that Sugarbush is ranked #1 here. I would say Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Jay Peak are the bigger contenders. All in all, this is not a big surprise to have an Eastern location, as Epic should/will include Stowe very soon. 
  • slathamslatham advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

bmwskier said:

From Win today...

2017/2018.

I'm fairly shocked to hear that Sugarbush is ranked #1 here. I would say Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Jay Peak are the bigger contenders. All in all, this is not a big surprise to have an Eastern location, as Epic should/will include Stowe very soon. 
    I agree the mountains you listed - and others - have  merit, but I wholeheartedly disagree that Sugarbush being #1 is "shocking".
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    The battle is joined...
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    Was hoping for 'Bush on the Max Pass. Fingers crossed for Smuggs or Jay to join. Max needs a NoVer mountain. 5 days at each for ~$600 with a bunch of eastern mountains is way more interesting to me than 2 days at each for ~$300 with one eastern mountain. 
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I am sure the whole Stowe thing is going to have a lot of resorts within striking distance of it rethinking how they do season's passes. If it costs 1400 bucks to ski at area "Y" at three hours away and 800 bucks to ski at Stowe at three and a half it might make people reconsider their mountain choices. 

I dunno what Killington feels about all of this. Ideally, I'd love to see a NE collective of the Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Sugarbush, Jay, Wildcat and Loon with perhaps Lake Placid as well forming some kind of bloc.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    bmwskier said:

I dunno what Killington feels about all of this. Ideally, I'd love to see a NE collective of the Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Sugarbush, Jay, Wildcat and Loon with perhaps Lake Placid as well forming some kind of bloc.
    Mt. Snow is Peak Resorts that already part of a package that includes a bunch of great areas.  I don't see them jumping on board.  And for the other areas the bottom line that must be asked: Is being part of this bloc going to provide the ski area operator more money?

Obviously, Sugarbush was feeling pain when the Vail/Stowe deal was announced.  If others were, they are suffering in silence.
    edited March 9 Posts: 295

bmwskier said:

Mt. Snow is Peak Resorts that already part of a package that includes a bunch of great areas.  I don't see them jumping on board.  And for the other areas the bottom line that must be asked: Is being part of this bloc going to provide the ski area operator more money?

Obviously, Sugarbush was feeling pain when the Vail/Stowe deal was announced.  If others were, they are suffering in silence.
    One thing to point out is that Mount Snow 2 years ago had a pass that was good with Stratton for Under 30 year olds. I never understood the exact want there.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    mtsnow123 said:

bmwskier said:

One thing to point out is that Mount Snow 2 years ago had a pass that was good with Stratton for Under 30 year olds. I never understood the exact want there.
    Any guesses why they didn't renew the arrangement?

mtsnow123 said:

bmwskier said:

Any guesses why they didn't renew the arrangement?
    I've thought about it and can only assume it was not used as Stratton as much as forecasted. It was probably quite a bit of behind the scenes cost for it to work, and decided it wasn't worth pursuing again. I didn't take advantage of it, but really regret not traveling the 25 minutes North.
    Can someone please explain:

Epic Pass: Do you pay $800+/- and get unlimited skiing at your home area and at all areas on pass, or are the "away" areas limited or come with discounts? Or do you buy home area pass and also Epic Pass?

MCoop: You buy on top of your home area's season pass and get 32 days (2 ea) at the other places?

Sorry if dumb questions

Epic Pass: Do you pay $800+/- and get unlimited skiing at your home area and at all areas on pass, or are the "away" areas limited or come with discounts? Or do you buy home area pass and also Epic Pass?

MCoop: You buy on top of your home area's season pass and get 32 days (2 ea) at the other places?

Sorry if dumb questions
    I have that same confusion too, so it would help for clarification.
    edited March 10 Posts: 37

Sorry if dumb questions
    Depends. There are a few different Epic Passes. Here's the comparison: http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx

But if you buy the $859 one you get unlimited skiing at all of them. One exception is that I think when the Whistler sale went through, Whistler Pass holders got 5 days at any Vail Resort.
    So Stowe goes from a season's pass that is upwards of $1500 (I think) to one that is a little more than half that? A crowded place on weekends and holidays just got  more so. It must work for Vail
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    jgreco said:

Was hoping for 'Bush on the Max Pass. Fingers crossed for Smuggs or Jay to join. Max needs a NoVer mountain. 5 days at each for ~$600 with a bunch of eastern mountains is way more interesting to me than 2 days at each for ~$300 with one eastern mountain. 

FWIW, MaxPass will be adding Gore, Belleayre, Whiteface, Windham, Lutsen and Granite Peak to the 17/18 season. Sorry to get off topic.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    JMaul said:

jgreco said:

FWIW, MaxPass will be adding Gore, Belleayre, Whiteface, Windham, Lutsen and Granite Peak to the 17/18 season. Sorry to get off topic.
    I saw Windham had mention. The ORDA mountains are great news!!!!!! I keep refreshing the site.

So Stowe goes from a season's pass that is upwards of $1500 (I think) to one that is a little more than half that? A crowded place on weekends and holidays just got  more so. It must work for Vail

Yes! I had a long conversion with someone about the parking and traffic nightmares that may arise with the cheaper pass. It has already been terrible this season if you hit it at the right time. Can you say 45 minute waiting line on the mountain road?

They either need to get permits ASAP to build parkign garages at the Toll House area or build up parking near Spruce. 

The driving issue is honestly the hardest part about getting an EPIC pass and living in Vermont.