A lost area you dream about buying and actually affordable and resurrectable

ciscokidciscokid expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,591
guess this Mi area that was for sale for $299000 asking price with a owner operated T bar when he passedimage
IMG_1105.JPG
4032 x 3024 - 2M

Comments

• mapnutmapnut expert
    All Eaton Mountain needs is a 2000-foot chairlift. That would be my favorite, and very doable.
    Intermont in a minute. It would be a labour of love as it sure wouldn't be profitable!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    That's how Chris Bradford got involved with skiing history.  Hard to believe it was close to 20  years ago on a thread on "usenet" that predated SJ1.0, Chris was looking into an area that he could re-open.  He eventually became part of re-opening Crotched, but not in an owner-capacity.

• lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    Easy one! Saddleback!!!!!!!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Hickory
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited March 10 Posts: 1,591
    A lost area with a Facebook page said now for sale at $449K
    Anyway it's Mt Mancelona, about 20 minutes south of Boyne mtn
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    IMG_1109.JPG
    960 x 960 - 143K
    IMG_1110.JPG
    720 x 960 - 128K
    IMG_1106.JPG
    1549 x 1200 - 310K
    IMG_1107.JPG
    1534 x 1200 - 346K
    IMG_1108.JPG
    800 x 636 - 64K
    IMG_1111.JPG
    799 x 517 - 53K
    IMG_1112.JPG
    600 x 337 - 42K
    Boot rental - buckle $3, lace $1.50

Ibrake4tbars don't miss the tbar bar ride Linked at the bottom of milsap

https://milsap.wordpress.com/regions/northwest-lower-peninsula-areas/mancelona/mt-mancelona-mancelona/
    deleted

Intermont in a minute. It would be a labour of love as it sure wouldn't be profitable!

http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/INTERMONT.htm
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited March 10 Posts: 975
    I would have said Boston Hills -- lodge in place, lift in place, right on a main road -- but the lift and lodge were torn down and turned into elderly housing. :(
    I remember watching the video of the first ride up the restored Mt Mancelona t-bar!
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Mt Tom

It's got the location with a decent enough sized population base within 30/45 minutes to make it work, with the right marketing crew

Run it more from the standpoint of an after school program and night race league/kids race training mountain, and then throw in some tubing lanes and a terrain small/medium terrain park or 2 to gain some additional customer base interest
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited March 10 Posts: 1,154
    ciscokid said:

Mt. Mancelona

Cisco that place looks awesome! Probably need a new groomer ;)

Mine would be Pinnacle Ski-Ways near Randolph, VT
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced

Great choice!  Sweet little area, easy to access, steeps.  Man oh man the potential!

Great choice!  Sweet little area, easy to access, steeps.  Man oh man the potential!
    Always been curious about that one as well, though little market nearby. Randolph ain't a hopping place, and lots of traffic passes headed to Stowe or Sugarbush. Would be cool to see resurrected, though. Anyone know if the hill is off limits? I know the base area is a home and private property.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    The thing about Randolph is that if you go just 10 miles beyond the town you're into mountains with 2,000 feet of vertical.
    mapnut said:

The thing about Randolph is that if you go just 10 miles beyond the town you're into mountains with 2,000 feet of vertical.

yep: http://www.rastavt.org/

now just need it to snow
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited March 10 Posts: 315

Always been curious about that one as well, though little market nearby. Randolph ain't a hopping place, and lots of traffic passes headed to Stowe or Sugarbush. Would be cool to see resurrected, though. Anyone know if the hill is off limits? I know the base area is a home and private property.
    As my uncle (and neighbor in the rural VT sense) told me one day, " don't go up there, the guy does not like trespassers and you're liable to get shot".  So.. NO, private land, don't hike it!   But.. that was 16 years ago.  Who knows if the same lovely guy owns the place or not.
    D
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited March 10 Posts: 852

mapnut said:

yep: http://www.rastavt.org/

now just need it to snow

Interesting that you posted that, Lotso. I see the area I had in mind, Braintree Mountain, is set aside/semi- developed for back-country skiing.

http://www.rastavt.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BMFmap_lowres.jpg

Although just a dream I do remember MM for sale at $299K mayber 5-7 yrs ago. But the trails are semi clear. What it would actually take to get snowmaking, licensing, approval from town, insurance, a good reliable lift, employees, etc. may blow my dream out of the water. But I think it is resurrectable semi affordable

Are your dreams in your opinion of reopening(resurrectable) actually affordable for you ( and a partner) and available for sale to be used a a ski area?
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I might be able to get Eaton a chairlift if I sold my house and emptied out my 401K. But in that case my wife might not be willing to support me on her pension.
    mapnut said:

I might be able to get Eaton a chairlift if I sold my house and emptied out my 401K. But in that case my wife might not be willing to support me on her pension.

Well the dreaming is certainly affordable

Speaking of which have you had any ski dreams lately map?
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Yeah, a couple. Nothing that made a good story though. I dreamed I was skiing the woods at Berkshire East with Jeremy, and hucked a 5-foot ledge. Just too absurd though. When I was actually there I chickened out on their easiest glade.
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    Here are a few that could be resurected:

Bearpen Mountain - NY.

Craigmeur Ski Area - NJ

Tuxedo Ridge - NY

Alpine - PA

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I'd like to donate a couple of million when I win the lottery to re-open Norwich, run some basic snowmaking (with a lot of begging at town meeting to do so) and spin it as a feeder area like other small areas. Tubing park as well.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Naturally Brodie, though I dont see it as a viable venture with J Peak right there.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Bobcat brochure.jpg
    2142 x 1648 - 2M
    +1 for Bobcat as well.

Bearpen I would love to see, but is it really in the "affordable" and "resurrectable" range? Most of the others at least have relatively clear trails and possibly functioning lifts. Bearpen would be basically starting from scratch, save the trail(s) cut by the owner.
    Bearpen is suppose to operate in some respect maybe cat next year.

Yea I guess we need to define affordable

Turn key operation, I guess I'll say under a mill for sure ready to roll. But ma and pa ( and a few silent partners ok)

Can it be done?
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    JMaul said:

I've not heard a peep that Bobcat might even be for sale.  Anybody know anything?