live from Cochran's 3-10-17

MrMagicMrMagic advanced
in Trip Reports Posts: 119
Northern Vermont 3-10-17
Made a major detour found my self at Cochrans. Conditions are frozen Gran. Machined groomed. Everything is open
1489180593279.jpg
2048 x 1152 - 660K
1489180739685.jpg
2048 x 1152 - 1021K

Comments

• MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    A quad T bar !! And Looking out from the top
    1489180913321.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    1489181086070.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 720K
    Here is the summit rope tow. Anyone know if they still use it? The slope and tow line look very over grown. I'll ask. Good size line at the handle tow.
    1489181592901.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    1489181769677.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 747K
    MrMagic said:

Here is the summit rope tow. Anyone know if they still use it? The slope and tow line look very over grown. I'll ask. Good size line at the handle tow.

There's a story about it on NELSAP. I believe it only operated once.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    thanks for the report.  If you are there on a day when they offer dinner, that's worth every penny  :)] :)] :)]
    I hope these pictures are not posting upside down like the thumbnails show. If they do I am very sorry. Conditions are still good, very fast. They run a special on most Fridays nights from 4 to 8 for 5 dollars. It's clearly very popular as there are a good amount of people here.
    1489182174187.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 915K
    Bone yard and maintenance
    1489183272439.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 1M
    1489183302595.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 685K
    Getting cold as that sun goes down. I'm in the lodge and will go out for a few more runs. If your a fan of ski racing the lodge is full of local, national and international awards, pictures and bibs.
    Happy to report on a personal note I have just one more ski area to ski at in Vermont the very illusive Bellows Falls Rockingham Rex tow. Which is proven to be harder to ski the Strafford Lyons tow.

Best award ever !!
    1489183861570.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 600K
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    Great report! Hopefully you got to take advantage of the cheap night skiing tonight, and cheap dinner too! (tonight is the last Friday night ski/ dinner of the season)

Yes, that 'summit' ropetow is rather flat.  I'm actually really surprised to see it strung with rope, last time I saw it, the old rope was on the ground. 

I used to go there every Thursday for the afterschool ski programs in the 80's. 

D
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    That rope looks new too, last I was there was no rope or it was very worn.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 11 Posts: 1,653
    Nice report. Conditions look great. Great place. And it looks crowded for a Friday. The one time I went there I got to pick the ticket color for the day.

Keep trying for BF it's fun when open. I think it took me 3 visits or more.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Thanks for the report.  Cochran's is still on my shrinking list of  areas to "collect" in VT.  $5 Friday sounds like a perfect reason to stop next time I'm in the area.
    MrMagic said:

Getting cold as that sun goes down. I'm in the lodge and will go out for a few more runs. If your a fan of ski racing the lodge is full of local, national and international awards, pictures and bibs.
    Happy to report on a personal note I have just one more ski area to ski at in Vermont the very illusive Bellows Falls Rockingham Rex tow. Which is proven to be harder to ski the Strafford Lyons tow.

Best award ever !!

Now THAT is my kind of trophy! The late Victor Hall would be very honoured.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Summit tow definitely not used in a while. I poked around there in January. Looks like it has not run in years. They are lengthening/replacing t-bar so it runs from down by the maintenance building to above the current top station- that section has been cleared. I think it is scheduled for this summer.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited March 11 Posts: 1,378
    MrMagic said:

A quad T bar !! And Looking out from the top

Now educate me as I am not obviously afraid to ask stupid questions but explain to me what a quad T-bar is and I cannot read the Picture with the hall information that I break alluded to

I have yet to get to the Grayling T-bar Friday nights for one dollar as it is the only remaining T-bar in the lower Peninsula as far as I know

Looks like cocrans is very similar to a average Michigan ski area but extremely historic and is what 500 vertical or so ?

Excellent report Mr. magic by the way thank you
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    quad t-bar is a joke- two t-bars very close together. One has a loose grip and slid back to the other. They did not load either.

Yes on Michigan comparison, just doesn't call itself a "mountain" 
    ;))
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Well it was 500 ft 6 trails at one time but it's more like 300 ft 6 trails. It still skis very nice. Good racing hill. There's also a river right on the other side of the rd.
    https://skimap.org/data/207/66/1453225164.jpg
    I missed that slope side syrup...or idk maybe I did see some sugar shacks. Pretty common up there.
    If I get back there I also want to go visit inside here.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    The Round Church
    IMG_5024.JPG
    1800 x 1239 - 2M
    Definitely worth a trip, I had a blast. Thabks for the info on the summit rope tow. I was also thinking of starting a separate thread on longest walk from lodge to lift. As Cochran's would be in the running, moving or lowering the T bar would solve that !