Mount Abram 3/11/2017

edited March 12 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,008
Yesterday I visited Abram for the second time this season. It was an extremely cold, windy day with temperatures in the negatives and low single digits. Wind chills were as low as -30 and it was partly sunny. The wind kept the Way Back Machine closed all day, so skiing was off the Skyline Chair and the Maine T. Abram was a good choice for such a windy day because most of the mountain can be accessed from the T-bar and it's a short walk to the summit. Luckily the cold kept the crowds away and there was never any waiting and the lodges were never crowded. Two new heated pavilions have been built, one at each base area, which will help keep the lodges less crowded on busier days. All major trails were open, including the recently cut Wassamatta U, and there was still about a foot and a half of natural snow and not a bare spot to be seen anywhere on the mountain. I don't usually mention terrain parks, but the one on Dudley had a short, but fun ski cross course with banked turns. Groomed trails were frozen granular with some ice patches in spots and ungroomed terrain was boiler plate with about an inch of new snow on top. I hiked up to the summit terrain twice and skied Snowfield and The Cliff, which were fun with no one else around. Although cold it was a great day of T-bar riding and uncrowded skiing. For the record, my opinion is that the process of using a camera on the T-bar is more difficult than eating an eclair. ;)) If you're looking for a good place to eat on the way back from the Bethel area, I highly recommend Cyndi's Dockside Resuturant in Poland on Rte. 26.

Looking Up Boris from the Main LodgeimageSkyline DriveimageSkyline ChairimageSkyline ChairimageSweeperimageMaine TimageWay Back MachineimageWay Back MachineimageWay Back MachineimageView from SnowfieldimageUpper Easy RiderimageUpper Easy RiderimageMaine TimageMaine TimageWay Back Machine from The CliffimageWay Back Machine & The CliffimageBullwinkleimageIce On BullwinkleimageSkyline ChairimageBorisimageDudley-Do-Rightimage
- Sam
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 332K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 340K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 359K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 412K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 345K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 326K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 363K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 377K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 371K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 366K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 356K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 369K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 369K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 418K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 339K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 415K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 356K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 352K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 372K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 315K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 393K

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Just the way to start my Sunday morning after not skiing yesterday
    Thanks Sam
    Diehard!

I know that the one chair left is a Hall what is the other chair brand
    ciscokid said:

Just the way to start my Sunday morning after not skiing yesterday
    Thanks Sam
    Diehard!

I know that the one chair left is a Hall what is the other chair brand

It's a Hall as well. I'm not sure what the story is behind those towers, but I've seen them on a few later model Halls. Maybe someone else has more info.
    - Sam
    Wow your revved up and on the stick this morn

How far is Abram from the big boys? Sugar, Sunday R
    ciscokid said:

Two hours from Sugarloaf and twenty minutes from Sunday River
    - Sam

ciscokid said:

ciscokid said:

Bet it's half the price of the others, less than a quarter of the crowds and it has an Ibrake4tbars ( Hall I'm betting)
    Such wisdom

I miss that tbar report from Camden a few years back. Wow almost 10 yrs since I've been there
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Is that an unfinished new trail to the left of the Skyline chair? It doesn't show on the trail map or aerial photos.
    mapnut said:

Is that an unfinished new trail to the left of the Skyline chair? It doesn't show on the trail map or aerial photos.

It's marked on the map (https://skimap.org/data/447/1265/1458257913.jpg) as the Flying Squirrel Terrain Park and has been cut, but not graded yet.
    - Sam
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Nice report.  Thank you!