Mount Snow Conditions

sugarloafsugarloaf expert
edited March 16 in Trip Reports Posts: 719
I skied Mount Snow today with my son from 12:45 - 3:30 as I had family obligations early on Wednesday. 21 " of snow changed conditions drastically from Monday and Fallen Timbers was the best run of the year with soft powder moguls and no ice. Groomed terrain was getting a powder refresh with the wind gusts and Long John, Ridge and Snow dance where soft packed powder. Fools Gold was soft cut up powder that was wind blown smooth again, with no underlying hard snow/ice to be found.

The snow is unusually cold and dry for Mid-March with temperatures In the upper teens. I can't remember such cold weather for Mid-March and it looks to continue into the end of this weekend.

High Speed Quad - A ski lift that enables a skier to rapidly get from the front of one lift-line to the rear of another.

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    :D :D :D
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 20 Posts: 1,386
    It was still skiing pretty good on Sunday. I can only imagine what it was like Wed-Friday. Almost all open. I skied a few for the first time this year including some woods. Here's another shot of some North Face this time with moguls.image
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    IMG_5113.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I'm not sure weather to ski Mt Snow on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm concerned about wind hold and icy conditions as the cold comes in late tonight after grooming. I think Thursday looks better for softer well groomed Snow.

High Speed Quad - A ski lift that enables a skier to rapidly get from the front of one lift-line to the rear of another.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Thursday is a much better bet, as it will be warmer (still not above freezing). The clear conditions will also help to loosen up the snow from the sun's ray.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    edited March 21 Posts: 248
    Get out there and enjoy what's left of the season and the good snow conditions!! Just off an educated guess, with no actual (seriously!) discussion of this with any of my Mount Snow admin friends,  you've got at minimum 2.5 more weeks of continuous daily operations (through Sunday, April 9th), possibly 3.5 more weeks (through Sunday April 16th) - non admin friends that I did talk to last weekend said that the only way daily operations stop on Sunday April 2nd is if that entire next mid week looks like it's going to be just horrendous weather, and then after they stop daily operations, if they had a good crowd that last weekend, they've still got snow, and the weather looks good, you might get a reopening for one final last weekend.

With many of their seasonal foreign workers either having left already and/or finishing up this week, staffing is thin, many staff are also ready for some time off after the long season, and  the mountain also some some tight timelines for on hill construction in many areas, that often requires that they strip snow from some areas where work will commence to speed up the melting and ground thawing so they can get to work to get the snowmaking system upgrades associated with West Lake ready for the beginning of November.

I would love to be wrong on this, as I'm going to be away in Florida the weekends of April 8/9 and 15/16, and I would love to have my home hill still spinning a few lifts that weekend of April 22/23, but I'm guessing that that won't be an option as they'll be into off season construction prep mode by then......
    The cold front brought 2" of snow this morning according to the ski report and it's still snowing. Thursday should be nice on the groomer with this new snow.

DrJeff said:

Get out there and enj nooy what's left of the season and the good snow conditions!! Just off an educated guess, with no actual (seriously!) discussion of this with any of my Mount Snow admin friends,  you've got at minimum 2.5 more weeks of continuous daily operations (through Sunday, April 9th), possibly 3.5 more weeks (through Sunday April 16th) - non admin friends that I did talk to last weekend said that the only way daily operations stop on Sunday April 2nd is if that entire next mid week looks like it's going to be just horrendous weather, and then after they stop daily operations, if they had a good crowd that last weekend, they've still got snow, and the weather looks good, you might get a reopening for one final last weekend.

With many of their seasonal foreign workers either having left already and/or finishing up this week, staffing is thin, many staff are also ready for some time off after the long season, and  the mountain also some some tight timelines for on hill construction in many areas, that often requires that they strip snow from some areas where work will commence to speed up the melting and ground thawing so they can get to work to get the snowmaking system upgrades associated with West Lake ready for the beginning of November.

I would love to be wrong on this, as I'm going to be away in Florida the weekends of April 8/9 and 15/16, and I would love to have my home hill still spinning a few lifts that weekend of April 22/23, but I'm guessing that that won't be an option as they'll be into off season construction prep mode by then......
    I just called guest services and was told daily operations are tentatively scheduled through April 9th. I hope they go a bit later as CT vacation week is 4-10 - 4-14.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    sugarloaf said:

DrJeff said:

Get out there and enj nooy what's left of the season and the good snow conditions!! Just off an educated guess, with no actual (seriously!) discussion of this with any of my Mount Snow admin friends,  you've got at minimum 2.5 more weeks of continuous daily operations (through Sunday, April 9th), possibly 3.5 more weeks (through Sunday April 16th) - non admin friends that I did talk to last weekend said that the only way daily operations stop on Sunday April 2nd is if that entire next mid week looks like it's going to be just horrendous weather, and then after they stop daily operations, if they had a good crowd that last weekend, they've still got snow, and the weather looks good, you might get a reopening for one final last weekend.

I just called guest services and was told daily operations are tentatively scheduled through April 9th. I hope they go a bit later as CT vacation week is 4-10 - 4-14.
    Mount Snow's head of communications posted in the last few hours on the passholders page that as of right now, the plan is daily operations through Easter Sunday, April 16th  (obviously weather could effect that)
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing advanced
    Starting to see rumblings of a storm on Friday. 8-12 in SoVer
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    edited March 28 Posts: 248

Starting to see rumblings of a storm on Friday. 8-12 in SoVer

Well it is Winter Brewfest this coming Saturday at Mount Snow, so it might as well look like winter out!  :D  <:-P
    I skied with My son today at Mount Snow and conditions varied from mashed potatoes to icy. I took a bad fall on Fallen Timbers and slide head first about 50'. My son got ahead of me and stopped the sliding. I hit him with enough force to bend his pole and bruse his leg.