Noisiest Ski Lift

edited May 2015 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,964
The Hall t-bar wins the gold medal for noisiest ski lift! How else can you possibly be entertained so audibly on the way up, aside from speakers placed on lift towers! You can even hear the roar from the giant reducing gear in the base station as you ride up the track. Then you've got that lyrical SHPROINNNNNGGGG every time your skis hit a dip in the track and when the T passes through a sheave assembly. Finally, at the summit, you have that CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK from the old-skool safety brake on the summit bullwheel!

No idea about why the ladder was parked on the tree. Maybe tower maintenance needed to be performed and they were too lazy to put the ladder away?

IBRAKE
What do you think is the noisiest lift? I'd nominate the t-bar at Veterans' Memorial; between the old Hall Ts, Heron towers and bullwheels, and the desiel engine it's one loud lift!!! It's also a very fun lift to ride!image

- Sam
image.jpg
1280 x 1024 - 362K
image.jpg
1280 x 1024 - 359K

Comments

• teighsteighs intermediate
    It may be, as far as operating lifts go, but the old #1 T-Bar at Hogback was a symphony of sound.  From the 4" straight stack on the Allis-Chalmers diesel drive motor to the haul rope growling on the steel sheaves (no rubber liners here), with the unmistakable clunk as the springbox hit each sheave.  Not to mention the occasional creak from the wooden towers.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Among current operating lifts, the Cupsuptic T-Bar is about the noisiest I've been on.  Among "retired lifts", any of the "chain drive doubles" at Mt. Snow would be high on my list.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Mixing Bowl chain lift at Mount Snow!
  • abubobabubob advanced
    I always thought that the High Country double at Waterville is pretty loud. Loud enough you can't talk near it - or breath. Maybe they've muffled it since I've been there last. Been a couple years.
    newpylong said:

Mixing Bowl chain lift at Mount Snow!

Now that's a lift I wish I rode! I saw it while at Mt. Snow back in March 1992 but it wasn't running. I can only imagine all the grease raining onto the riders ski parkas....
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    It had a roof on the chair to stop that lol. I am not sure if it was original or retrofitted, I was young.
    Now that I think about it, the lower bullwheel for the Hall double chairlift on the Badger trail at Labrador is really loud. The sheave trains are pretty squeaky, too!

Still, nothing like the racket of the Hall t-bar, though!

IBRAKE
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Cupsuptic T-bar at Saddleback. The noise at the summit terminal in really annoying.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

Cupsuptic T-bar at Saddleback. The noise at the summit terminal in really annoying.

The Cupsuptic t-bar: it's a Hall, isn't it?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 759

sugarloaf said:

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

edited May 2015 Posts: 759

Cupsuptic T-Bar.jpg
    800 x 600 - 133K

sugarloaf said:

Yes! It's a 1960 Hall T-Bar in beautiful condition!
    - Sam
    sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

I'm not sure what model/brand it is, but this is a picture of the lift from April 19th, 2015

• SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    edited May 2015 Posts: 167
    The T-Bar at Blackwater was a grumbling groaning beast, but I think there've been some improvements made.

High Country got electrified a few years back.

The old wildcat gondola was a top drive diesel... an impressive rumble.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    For the brief period it was a fully operational ski area, the Cog Railway had to be loudest! :D
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,964

The T-Bar at Blackwater wasa grumbling groaning beast, but I think there've been some improvements made.

It was totally replaced in 2007.
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    A couple of years ago I saw an article about a solar powered T bar in Europe. Just makes too much sense. The panels were between the towers on wires (I think). 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 954
    bmwskier said:

A couple of years ago I saw an article about a solar powered T bar in Europe. Just makes too much sense. The panels were between the towers on wires (I think). 

That is a very sensible idea! Those panels could also be used to generate power for a variety of other uses, such as the snowmaking system.

As time goes on solar panel designs will become ever more efficient. Anything to help reduce the load on the power grid is a good thing, in my book!

IBRAKE
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    I'll second the old chain drive doubles that Joshua is talking about. That was one obnoxious lift, with the noise and the grease dripping on you!