2017 Killington World Cup

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I was looking at the security procedures at Killington for the World Cup.  If one goes just to ski, how does that work?
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    DrJeff said:

obienick said:

They are not. They are injecting water into the snow.

What's also interesting is there are cabins on the Skyeship.
    Trying to incorporate Skyeship into spectator transportation would be an interesting challenge!!  I could easily see running Stage 1, then unloading at Northbrook, and taking the Northbrook Quad up to the top of Snowshed and then hiking over (although you'd have to get the people around back of the grandstands and through the main (and only) entrance into the grandstand area out by the base of K1.  Don't think they'd want a bunch of people up near the start though...

The bigger issue would be getting them back down to Skyeship Base after the race without busing, as the walk back to the top of Northbrook Quad isn't as appealing I'm sure for most, and then the limited downloading capacity of Northbrook and possibly even Skyeship, could be an issue......
    If they do anything with Skyeship I think it will include Stage 2. Watching the Peak cam over the past few weeks they were making snow on the back side of Skye which must have been Great Eastern. If they intend to use the gondola for access that would make sense.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Last year, I took a couple of runs before watching the Saturday GS. Skiing procedures were easy. Just walked through the entrance gates by K1 Lodge with my skis and onto K1. The biggest issue by far, wasn't on hill volume, but parking and moving through the crowds up to, and then back from the lifts. If the K snowmakers can get Ramshead open via Caper and Vale so you can ski to K1 out of Snowshed/Ramshead and then back down to Snowshed/Ramshead, that would make it easier to get some runs in for sure....

I was looking at the security procedures at Killington for the World Cup.  If one goes just to ski, how does that work?

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited November 22 Posts: 266
    I like the idea of using Skyeship to avoid busing, it doesn't look like a very long walk from the top of the Northbrook chair. But I am not sure enough spectators would prefer hiking from Northbrook over the buses. Perhaps enough to make the buses not completely awful like last year? 

It looks like there is a work road (off Yodeler) that could get folks to the access road rather than hiking by Superstar inside the controlled area via Highlander (that won't fly). They could also download via the Showshed Quad from Northbrook and have folks hike up the access road (we already need to hike down the access road to get buses after the event. That would be two uploads and a download coming in and an upload and two download going out, lol!

Still not sure what day I am going yet but I definitely plan to get there 1-2 hours earlier than last year.
  • obienickobienick expert
    You only go through security if you're entering the festival area/K1 lodge/arena.  If you just go to K1 to ride the lift you don't go through security.

At least that's how it was last year.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 24 Posts: 1,795
    Their website gives the whole ski drill for this weekend, it seems, pretty clearly.
    http://www.killington.com/site/culture/blog/authors/beast/more-cowbell?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Saturday's winds are a concern... Sunday looks fine for slalom, just windy but cooler

Saturday's winds are a concern... Sunday looks fine for slalom, just windy but cooler

I don't know anything about racing: Are there maximum winds beyond which they won't run the race?
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited November 24 Posts: 363
    The racers are lapping SS now. Very smooth fast runs. Looks great on the SS cam.

I don't know anything about racing: Are there maximum winds beyond which they won't run the race?
    Nothing firm, just has to be deemed safe by the race jury. Tailwinds can make it dangerously fast, crosswinds and headwinds can push the gates over and make them a danger to the racers. Judgement call.
    Saturday the weather will be warm too. Could have some interesting results in the 2nd run if the forecasted 38F really arrives at 3400 ft (which is about the elevation of the cat track from the right between Launch Pad and High Road).
    obienick said:

Saturday the weather will be warm too. Could have some interesting results in the 2nd run if the forecasted 38F really arrives at 3400 ft (which is about the elevation of the cat track from the right between Launch Pad and High Road).

snow should hold up fine- with injection it is pretty bulletproof, even if it warms. My guess is they also have salt/urea to apply if it gets really bad. Only need to get through 34 or so (depending on # of forerunners) for second run.

Fingers crossed!
    17-year-old AJ Hurt will make her World Cup debut tomorrow, starting 65th and last.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Decided on going Sunday. I saw the GS last year so it will be nice to catch the SL this year. Plus I am itching to ski tomorrow. Looking forward to it and I am glad K is doing it again!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

Joshua I thought you knew everything about everything ⛷⛷⛷

The Superstar cam is showing the lift running. Wind is supposed to be the worst now. I have a feeling the GS is a go.
    obienick said:

The Superstar cam is showing the lift running. Wind is supposed to be the worst now. I have a feeling the GS is a go.

I hope so. Looks like the jury is meeting 4 gates from finish now. Wind at finish does not seem bad.
    edited November 25 Posts: 823

obienick said:

I hope so. Looks like the jury is meeting 4 gates from finish now. Wind at finish does not seem bad.
    Taking gate panels off...something is up

obienick said:

Taking gate panels off...something is up

looks like swapping non-flex poles on the non-turning side of the gate. Will be better in wind.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Skyeship Stage 2 running.
    edited November 25 Posts: 1,857
    ciscokid said:

I don't know whether I'm being complimented or insulted!

Anybody at Killington who can comment on the crowd in attendance?

ciscokid said:

I don't know whether I'm being complimented or insulted!

Anybody at Killington who can comment on the crowd in attendance?
    Watching on NBC sports online. Looks packed
    Great show! Glad the weather cooperated. Second run looked pretty rugged, though Rebensburg and Schiffrin made it look easy...
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Crowd size close to last year I'd estimate. Killington was much more prepared to handle that size crowd, with more buses, more organized parking, more porta potty, etc.

With the band stage moved from the bottom of Superstar where the newly installed Killington Mountain School aerial ramps are, that opened up some more space to view in front of the grandstands, but they also restricted hillside access to roughly 2 gates above the finish line whereas last year you could go up higher.

If it wasn't about the same as last year's GS I went to as well, it wasn't much off in my opinion. Much better job though with crowd management. Still an enthusiastic, loud crowd, and for all the racers, not just the US racers!

Lots of fun!!
    DrJeff said:

Crowd size close to last year I'd estimate. Killington was much more prepared to handle that size crowd, with more buses, more organized parking, more porta potty, etc.

With the band stage moved from the bottom of Superstar where the newly installed Killington Mountain School aerial ramps are, that opened up some more space to view in front of the grandstands, but they also restricted hillside access to roughly 2 gates above the finish line whereas last year you could go up higher.

If it wasn't about the same as last year's GS I went to as well, it wasn't much off in my opinion. Much better job though with crowd management. Still an enthusiastic, loud crowd, and for all the racers, not just the US racers!

Lots of fun!!

Thanks. Headed there tomorrow. Where did you park? Last year we got in to Ram's Head lot by 7. Would you guess same this year?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced

DrJeff said:

Lots of fun!!

Thanks. Headed there tomorrow. Where did you park? Last year we got in to Ram's Head lot by 7. Would you guess same this year?
    We parked in Snowshed just after 7. Ended up in the 4th row of the lower lot. LOTS more buses thus year!! Much more improved traffic flow!! And with the start at 10 this year instead of 9 like it was last year, much less chaos compared to last year.

If my wife and I didn't have to drop our kids off at Pico at 6:45 to be bussed up with their race team teammates for the VARA athlete pre race parade that started at 9, we realistically could of arrived about 8, and still been in Snowshed or Ramshead lots, and still of had it been way more efficient than last year!

We were commenting that it seemed like every school bus based within about 30 miles of Killington was there to handle crowds this year!!
    Killington's updated snow report at 4:11 PM today puts the crowd at 18K.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Way to go Mikaela!!! And all competitors!!!!! My hat is off to all of you.
    It's fantastic she took 2nd & 1st but even better the WC has returned to the east coast.
    I think we all focus on first place but hey if you were 1st, 21st, or DNF man you competed!! Keep it up!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Great show today, and Killington now has it dialed in as far as managing the crowd, both in the venue and with parking. Super easy event to attend and the atmosphere was electric.
    illington's updated snow report at 4:11 PM, Sunday puts the Sunday crowd at 16K.  The 2 day total of 34K shows a bit over 10% greater attendance this year than last.