2017 Killington World Cup

124»

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    edited November 26 Posts: 971
    I cannot comment about today, but on Saturday the lines for the food and beverages were 25 minutes each. In the tent there was no organization:  no ropes to define queues and no signs telling what was for sale where (only certain lines were for beer/mixed drinks while others were for only food).  The mixed drinks also significantly slowed beer sales for everyone else.  With the limited point of sale terminals (severs were reaching over one another to complete the transactions), they should have set it up like the food court: pick up food/beverages, then pay down the line.

Maybe things were better inside K1 in the food court, but outside in the tent was most certainly not "dialed in" with respect to crowd management.

Last year (at least Sunday) was better as there was a little beer and food stand to the viewer's left by where the racers and slip crew returned to the lift and near the extra porta-potties . This was absent this year. I heard the grandstands were wider than last year (same # of rows -- 25 -- both years) perhaps that took out room.

Rumors I'm hearing is that K will sign another deal to bring it back after 2018.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

illington's updated snow report at 4:11 PM, Sunday puts the Sunday crowd at 16K.  The 2 day total of 34K shows a bit over 10% greater attendance this year than last.

That in itself is remarkable. I thought that this year would see a "sophomore slump", as the novelty of an eastern WC would fall off. Not the case. Really tremendous effort again by Killington and by the scores of volunteers they had on the hill and behind the scenes. First-rate event.

In addition to the bus improvement:
    -Better "village" setup with more food options and less mud than last year.
    -Base lodge was not reserved for athletes and coaches- gave spectators refuge from cold today (and access to bar :) )
    -The second video screen was a big help to the masses
    -More portalets and easy to get to.
    -Super friendly staff (not new this year; just wanted to mention it)
    -Excellent sound track to the race. Each racer had rocking accompaniment, though you couldn't hear it when Schiffrin came down, the crowd was exploding (which is a good thing).
    -Announcing crew (Doug and Peter), with Warner stirring up the crowd were terrific.

Good fun. If anyone on the board has K-Town contacts, pass on the kudos.

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Huge props to Killington for resolving the bus situation from 2017. Last year, I waited over an hour both coming and going from Skye Ship. This year, I walked right onto a bus both coming and going (granted, I didn't stay for the podium after Shiffrin's run and bolted for the buses due to last year, but I don't think that was needed). It was less than half an hour coming and going between standing at the finish line and my car.

I was at last year's GS on Saturday and the SL this year on Sunday. The crowd last year on Saturday (I think that was 17k?) felt way bigger than today, so I am surprised by the 16k number and overall greater attendance. By my eye, the crowd was at least 10-15% less this year on Sunday compared to last year on Saturday (there were some bleacher seats that never filled and no one was hiking far up the hill). The Skye Ship parking lot was not completely full like it was last year on Saturday either. Not sure how they estimate their numbers but I think 16k for today is too high if last year's Saturday number was accurate.

Lots of fun today. Watching a once in a generation skier own the field was pretty cool. Hopefully K keeps bringing it. If so, I'll keep going. They really do an amazing job with this event and the issues from last year were fully resolved as far as I could see.
    riverc0il said:

Huge props to Killington for resolving the bus situation from 2017. Last year, I waited over an hour both coming and going from Skye Ship. This year, I walked right onto a bus both coming and going (granted, I didn't stay for the podium after Shiffrin's run and bolted for the buses due to last year, but I don't think that was needed). It was less than half an hour coming and going between standing at the finish line and my car.

I was at last year's GS on Saturday and the SL this year on Sunday. The crowd last year on Saturday (I think that was 17k?) felt way bigger than today, so I am surprised by the 16k number and overall greater attendance. By my eye, the crowd was at least 10-15% less this year on Sunday compared to last year on Saturday (there were some bleacher seats that never filled and no one was hiking far up the hill). The Skye Ship parking lot was not completely full like it was last year on Saturday either. Not sure how they estimate their numbers but I think 16k for today is too high if last year's Saturday number was accurate.

Lots of fun today. Watching a once in a generation skier own the field was pretty cool. Hopefully K keeps bringing it. If so, I'll keep going. They really do an amazing job with this event and the issues from last year were fully resolved as far as I could see.
    Agreed on overall crowd estimate- I was at GS (and SL)  last year and SL this year. I do think they hit the higher number in the second run. First run the bleachers were not full, but by second run they were packed. Certainly fewer on the looker's right, though, due to ice sheet and the jumps. Might be cool if some terracing could be done there.

Still a terrific event. Atmosphere was like Kitzbühel but minus the drunks.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Having been one of the folks on Saturday up on the hill by the jumbotron screen watching the race, my wife and I today when we saw on TV that nobody was up there today figured that after the freeze up overnight plus the bit of rain yesterday afternoon, that for safety reasons they weren't letting people up there today!! The hike up on Saturday was doable if you were deliberate with your foot placement. The hike down was sketchy at best, where I wasn't sure if I was going to do a big butt slide and/or roll my ankle in front of the crowd, or just end up wishing they had railings on the side of the jump stairway so people could of used it (that was what the ambassadors told us was the reason we couldn't use the stairs on Saturday...)

Some switchback terraces over on that hillside for next year's races would be a good thing in my book for sure!!
    DrJeff said:

Having been one of the folks on Saturday up on the hill by the jumbotron screen watching the race, my wife and I today when we saw on TV that nobody was up there today figured that after the freeze up overnight plus the bit of rain yesterday afternoon, that for safety reasons they weren't letting people up there today!! The hike up on Saturday was doable if you were deliberate with your foot placement. The hike down was sketchy at best, where I wasn't sure if I was going to do a big butt slide and/or roll my ankle in front of the crowd, or just end up wishing they had railings on the side of the jump stairway so people could of used it (that was what the ambassadors told us was the reason we couldn't use the stairs on Saturday...)

Some switchback terraces over on that hillside for next year's races would be a good thing in my book for sure!!

They scooted people off of that section durin Run 1 after several pretty severe collisions of people sliding (intentionally and not so) and hitting others, and people were walking/standing in front of the video screen.