Saddleback 2017

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in Trip Reports Posts: 1,802
Mar. 27, 2017 - Mon.

Well, I'll bet you didn't expect a Saddleback report this year.

I have a friend with a slope-side condo at Saddleback and our plan was to go to Sugarloaf today.  The weather was atrocious.  By the afternoon, we were getting a little stir crazy so we decided to skin Saddleback.  We went up Hudson Highway to the top of the Rangeley double.  The wind was atrocious and the sleet in the face wasn't that comfortable.

We rested at the hut at the top of the Rangeley and warmed up. Even though it was unheated, it was dry and out of the wind.

The way down was treacherous with a breakable crust.  We slowly made our way down Red Devil and finished up on the Wooly Bugger Glade.  It was more of an adventure than a skiing day, but I have every reason to believe that Saddleback will be back soon.

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    I sure hope so....on my bucket list and I ain't getting any younger..
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    were you on skis ?  yes
    then it was a day skiing

the frequency and mode of uphill transportation do not diminish it.  

in my book that sounds wonderful.

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    My son and I where talking about the last day we skied at Saddleback on April 18th, 2015. This was their last day of the season and Saddleback has been closed since then. Hard to believe it's already been two years.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    It's amazing how much snow is on the mountain with zero machine-made.  However, without grooming and traffic, there are huge drifts in places, as well as windblown/wind-scoured icy patches.  Also, (illegal) snowmobile traffic has created problems/ruts for those trying to earn turns on the mountain.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited March 28 Posts: 1,486
    Iirc the infamous eclair tbar Run was made at the saddle

Who can name the 2 tbar eclair eaters and the t?

JMaul it wasn't an alpaca trail but a donkey like trail named
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Muleskinner was at the top of the Tbar that was removed, wasn't it?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Muleskinner was at the top of the Tbar that was removed, wasn't it?

Ya
    Name the t
    And the riders
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    The old Saddleback T didn't go to the top of Muleskinner trail. It followed the same line as the Kennebago quad which replaced it.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 28 Posts: 1,737
    I'd have to look up the Tbar name..It was next to Broncobuster. JMaul & Rick? Wait um Chris & Rick?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Joshua you uphillers are a tough breed, wow. I got winded just skate skiing from the bottom of StrayCat back up to the Wildcat lift this weekend.
    ski_it said:

I'd have to look up the Tbar name..It was next to Broncobuster. JMaul & Rick? Wait um Chris & Rick?

I thought it was sledhaulingmedic and Ned bolle
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Sledhaulingmedic was the rider in the photos IIRC, but Ned Bolle is the same person. I can't remember the other, maybe Chris? They rode the Cupsuptic T-bar on the west side. The Kennebago was probably too steep to ride with an éclair! I'm sure they didn't want to drop it.

IIRC he got off at the top still holding the éclair. I thought the idea was to eat it while riding. So there's still a challenge to be had! Preferably at Mittersill, but to do it on the Cupsuptic when it re-opens would be sweet.

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    Trip Report Here  Only a mention of the eclairs. Sadly, no pic.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    So the other skier was Riverc0il. Here's a handy trail map from 2007: https://skimap.org/data/446/7/1209516226.jpg
    JMaul said:

Wow a decade well at least half of my memory is still good
    edited March 28 Posts: 1,486
    I don't think I ever read the report from River coil thanks for bringing that back up JMaul fine memories
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 28 Posts: 1,737
    ciscokid said:

JMaul said:

Wow a decade well at least half of my memory is still good
    Well mine is shot. I had go back to the 1989 map to see the name Broncobuster appear. I have one request from the new owners, please rename all the trails AGAIN!
    Riding the new Mitersill T will be a piece of cake...er ...eclair.

• mapnutmapnut expert

No no no never, got to keep the fishing fly trail names!

• edited March 28 Posts: 970
    mapnut said:

Sledhaulingmedic was the rider in the photos IIRC, but Ned Bolle is the same person. I can't remember the other, maybe Chris? They rode the Cupsuptic T-bar on the west side. The Kennebago was probably too steep to ride with an éclair! I'm sure they didn't want to drop it.

IIRC he got off at the top still holding the éclair. I thought the idea was to eat it while riding. So there's still a challenge to be had! Preferably at Mittersill, but to do it on the Cupsuptic when it re-opens would be sweet.

I'm still kinda flattered that someone (shoutout to Sledhaulingmedic!) actually tried the eclair challenge and took pics to prove it! :D

And using a Hall t-bar, too! As I recall the eclairs were from Dunkin Donuts.

Maybe the glorious pics could be reposted? :)]

IBRAKE
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Almost ten years ago to the day. I am ashamed to say that I don't have a copy of the picture of the sledhauler getting it done. It was uploaded to the old snowjournal.com side. Is there an archive? 
    riverc0il said:

Almost ten years ago to the day. I am ashamed to say that I don't have a copy of the picture of the sledhauler getting it done. It was uploaded to the old snowjournal.com side. Is there an archive? 

Thanks for keeping your site alive and well river coil it is always great reading and I have to get back on it more often I love your trip reports yeah those 10 years Went fast.

As far as the archive I happen to know who the administrator is but I cannot divulge I don't know if he or she has the wherewithal to get the SJ one archives I think if he could he would or she would.

Ok clarify for me, as stated my memory is so so, is/was Ned Bolle and sledhauling medic one and the same person? I thought and forgive me if I'm wrong Ned had passed a few years back.

mapnut said:

No I distinctly remember it was the Kennebago t bar because Mule Skinner is vivid in my memory banks and if I had to guess I think it was a locally bought a Claire not Dunkin' Donuts they don't make them big enough to eat and hold all the way up while holding poles and a tea at the same time

All I know is that at the time it was one of the top views snow journal and for sure was a most memorable trip report to say the least
    OK administrator if it is in your power at all and those of your accomplices is it possible to get access to SJ one you know you would make a lot of happy all time snow journalist happy if we could go back in time the way back machine will not suffice
    ski_it said:

When the Breen family bought the mountain, they changed the names of the trails from fishing flies to a western theme (presumably because "Saddleback" sounds more related to horses and westerns than to fishing).  The Berrys change the names back to fishing flies.  Broncobuster is currently "Tightline".  The eclair caper occurred on the Kennebago T-Bar and I think the two individuals associated with the eclair caper were sledhaulingmedic (aka Ned Bolle) and riverc0il.
    It was the lower T, not the one replaced by the quad. The eclair was not from Dunks. NB=Sledhauler. Sledhauler handled the eclair while I documented, the T was rode "no hands" holding the eclair but it was not eaten while riding. I don't recall any strange looks but mid-week Saddleback before the Quad was installed was a ghost town even on a good day...
  • ski_itski_it expert
    The last time I was there, which wasn't too long ago, that C. t-bar had a pretty good launch. More than one novice ended up in a heap. In my mind that makes it a double black eclair run.
    riverc0il said:

It was the lower T, not the one replaced by the quad. The eclair was not from Dunks. NB=Sledhauler. Sledhauler handled the eclair while I documented, the T was rode "no hands" holding the eclair but it was not eaten while riding. I don't recall any strange looks but mid-week Saddleback before the Quad was installed was a ghost town even on a good day...

Like I said half my memory is good.
    Man I was still in my 40s back then
    Thanks riverc0il for the correction.

A couple of things re the lower (Cupsuptic) T-Bar:
    1.  Most of the Ts were in deferred maintenance and there was quite a kick when the cylinder pulled to its stop before the rider(s) were moving along.
    2. Assuming that Saddleback re-opens, the Cupsuptic T-Bar will be gone.

Regarding weekday ops:
    - Despite the light-attendance on weekdays, believe it-or-not, they averaged close to break-even for non-holiday weekdays according to data to which I was privy. 
    I am sure they did okay financially in recent years. 10 years ago before the quad was installed, they didn't have hardly any skiers mid-week and not that much more on a weekend. I think that was the first year or two after they built the new lodge and built up the glades and started getting some word of mouth buzz. I noticed skier traffic was significant amplified during the past half dozen years compared to the previous years I skied there.