Current occupied Condo's among lost ski area(may re-open)

ciscokidciscokid expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,176
Joshua's Saddleback hike/ ski thread got me thinking of occupied condo's next to a closed but may have reopened ski area. Just not only sad but eerie.( to me anyway)

Curious what ski areas have been lost and may have reopened with condos slopeside that have been continually occupied to the best of your knowledge.

Off the top of my head

Saddleback Maine
Crotched NH
Sugarloaf Mich

Others?

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Mittersill, NH
    North Creek Ski Bowl (Little Gore), NY
    Timber Ridge, VT?
    Magic, VT
    Ascutney, VT
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The Hermitage Club/Haystack - heck they're even starting to do some new unit construction to add to Powder Horn Village which isn't too far from where to former Haystack lower Lodge used to be.

That might be its own unique class - condos built at existing ski area, ski area goes NELSAP for a few years, ski area comes back to life, more units are being built at the existing condo site!!
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    Tenney, NH
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Couple crown NH (houses) doubtful to reopen but nothing stopping it. Would you count hotels or inns ? If so you could add a lot more.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    MrMagic said:

Couple crown NH (houses) doubtful to reopen but nothing stopping it. Would you count hotels or inns ? If so you could add a lot more.

Yea I thought about reversing it also. For instance, Big Squaw has the lost Inn/ hotel with the partially reopened ski area.
    Sure add an Inn hotel, makes it eerier.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Ascutney: I think it works more as a home base for people skiing Okemo. 5% re-opened with a rope tow slope.
    I guess Magic would fit the bill, no?
    ciscokid said:

I guess Magic would fit the bill, no?

Sorry lotso, I see you mentioned it

• FlyingZFlyingZ novice
    The lost sister resorts of cuchara CO and Ski Rio NM have slopeside condos, some are for sale, cheap!
  • KayakerKayaker novice

Atlantic Forest in Amesbury Mass but they aint gonna reopen. 

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    Evergreen Valley in Maine
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    How about all the condos that took over Great Gorge North? That used to be a functioning ski area with it's own lodge and multiple lifts. It is now down to one lift, one trail, no lodge, and hundreds of cheaply built condos sitting on what used to be pretty good ski trails.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Among NELSAP areas, I remember a few A-Frames at Birdseye, VT; at the Highlands, NH, instructors were shown some of their "model condos" with a significant commission if we sold one. 
  • newmannewman advanced
    Hidden Valley NJ. The slopes are skied on again, but the condo people can't ski at the new NWAC.
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    edited April 5 Posts: 76
    NJSki said:

How about all the condos that took over Great Gorge North? That used to be a functioning ski area with it's own lodge and multiple lifts. It is now down to one lift, one trail, no lodge, and hundreds of cheaply built condos sitting on what used to be pretty good ski trails.

Are you talking about the old Great Gorge North or are you talking about the old Vernon Valley ski area. There were 3 ski areas (Great Gorge - which became Great Gorge South), (Vernon Valley) and (Great Gorge North - behind the Minerals Spa).

The actual Great Gorge North is behind Minerals Spa.

• njskibabenjskibabe intermediate

Tanglwood Ski Area - PA - closed and NOT reopening. Condos and homes on the side of the slopes.

Split Rock Ski Area - PA - closed - homes & condos.

• TreillyTreilly intermediate
    Sugar Loaf Mi I believe has condos right next to the ski hill
    Treilly said:

Treilly said:

Listed in first post
    ciscokid said:

Treilly said: