Sugarloaf - 2017

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in Trip Reports Posts: 1,663
Mar. 28, 2017 - Tues.

A lot of SJ people have enjoyed Sugarloaf.  It's one of New England's reatest areas. So I'm only going to mention an oddity of the day and a new thing that I experienced.

Oddity: The day was odd weatherwise.  It was foggy at the top with an undercast on the bottom, with about 1000 vertical between the two fog banks.  Everything skied nicely in the fog free areas, although it was difficult to pick up the terrain in the fogged areas.

New to me: First time I ever skied Brackett Woods, the new gladed area to the left of the King Pine Chair.  The acreage and the quantity of work to open it were impressive.  However, I felt that the trees were overthinned and cut with uniformity in a way that it feels more like a mogul run than a glade.  I thought it was nice, but after experiencing the glades at Black Mtn. of Maine a few days ago, Brackett Woods was a disappointment.  I'd love to hear opinions on Brackett Woods from others who skied there.

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Wow the shortest report from one of the biggest areas.

Now if there were only some pictures....

Perhaps Abram on the way home
  • teighsteighs intermediate
    I love Brackett Basin.  How many of the many lines did you try?

It appears you are using glades and woods interchangeably.

Having spent a wonderful weekend at Bolton recently, they have trails called Glades which are quite open with very little amount of trees to go around, and Woods which are barely trimmed areas that require more precise skiing.

Merriam-Webster defines Glade as:

1. :  an open space surrounded by woods

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited March 30 Posts: 1,663
    teighs said:

I love Brackett Basin.  How many of the many lines did you try?

It appears you are using glades and woods interchangeably.

Having spent a wonderful weekend at Bolton recently, they have trails called Glades which are quite open with very little amount of trees to go around, and Woods which are barely trimmed areas that require more precise skiing.

Merriam-Webster defines Glade as:

1. :  an open space surrounded by woods

Just 2 or 3 lines.  Sugarloaf is a  gigantic area and if one is skiing it once or twice a year, it's a tough decision which runs to select, repeat or omit.

For better or worse, I do use woods and glades interchangeably.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ciscokid said:

Wow the shortest report from one of the biggest areas.

Now if there were only some pictures....

Perhaps Abram on the way home

Sunday River - see report on another thread.