Closing Dates 2017

Comments

• MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    Is this the one and only Mad " crazy" Pat dancing on half dome.

More like, about to step on the half dome. And yes, the picture of the ski area is Badger.

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 28 Posts: 1,559

Wildcat's last day is tomorrow 4/29/2017

Also Sugarloaf & Sunday River's last weekend.

Killington May 1st plus

Sugarbush - maybe to May 1st .. .idk

Jay May 7th plus

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited April 28 Posts: 1,241
    MadPatSki said:

Is this the one and only Mad " crazy" Pat dancing on half dome.

More like, about to step on the half dome. And yes, the picture of the ski area is Badger.

Pat , here's to Bannf and the Canadian Rockies, is Sunshine, Louise, Norquay or Marmot still spinning?

Would loooovvvveee to see some ski trip reports from any of these in a Sam the Newenglandskier13 or Ski_it manner (mucho pics)imageimage
    IMG_0463.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    IMG_0424.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 29 Posts: 1,559
    Wahhhhhh!!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    ski_it said:

Jay May 7th plus

Jay's FB says May 1st. Judging by the picture on their FB, there will likely be walking involved by then.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    So, with this 80 degree heat, Everything except the K glacier and maybe a side trail in Skylarke are cooked after Monday? No surprise! Get it now!
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    riverc0il said:

ski_it said:

Jay May 7th plus

Jay's FB says May 1st. Judging by the picture on their FB, there will likely be walking involved by then.

Today's snow report still says May 7th for a closing date, not sure who to believe.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Sunday should be nice- cold temps Saturday night should firm things up- corn by noon to replace glop that is there presently. Cold should also give them a chance to move snow.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I got the 7th from the conditions page and it said they might try to go later, hence the +
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    ski_it said:

Killington May 1st plus

Jay May 7th plus

Sugarloaf's last day was not last weekend.  I was up there today to check my cottage after my seasonal tenants moved out and the mountain was open today.  Not sure how many runs but a number of trails still had good cover and there was a sizeable crowd with the parking lot by the hotel and the one below if full and the next parking lot about 25% filled.  It was 68 and sunny at the base when I drove through.
    Quick update on the East - been updated on the blog, but not too compatible with the phone.

Wildcat : April 29
    Gallix and Ste-Anne : April 30
    Jay, Bush, Sunday and Loaf : May 1
    Comi : May 7
    St-Sauveur : May 14
    Kmart : June?
    Miller : TBD / NI
    Ski Mad World
    edited April 30 Posts: 80
    Without really looking into the Canadian Rockies situation...I'm like 30 minutes away from the closest.

Norquay closed a few weeks ago
    Nakiska : April 30
    Marmot : May 7 (not sure)
    Louise : May 7
    Sunshine : May 22

It has snow at least a few minutes everyday since last Saturday.

Today was Sunshine
    Tomorrow Sunday Lake Louise.
    Monday will be Sunshine
    Tuesday will be the flight home.
    Ski Mad World
    ciscokid said:

MadPatSki said:

Without really looking into the Canadian Rockies situation...I'm like 30 minutes away from the closest.

Norquay closed a few weeks ago
    Nakiska : April 30
    Marmot : May 7 (not sure)
    Louise : May 7
    Sunshine : May 22

It has snow at least a few minutes everyday since last Saturday.

Today was Sunshine
    Tomorrow Sunday Lake Louise.

Monday will be Sunshine
    Tuesday will be the flight home.

Would love to see new LL or Sunshine pics Pat but for now I'll look at your tbar pics from Val D
    https://madpatski.smugmug.com/Travel/Europe-2011-Part-1/Jour-15-13-août-Val-dIsère/
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    sugarloaf said:

riverc0il said:

ski_it said:

Jay May 7th plus

Today's snow report still says May 7th for a closing date, not sure who to believe.
    Why wouldn't you believe Jay's official Facebook page? Good grief. It isn't like the information is coming from two different sources, they just posted to FB before they could update their web site (happens frequently at many areas). Which has since been updated and now also shows May 1 as their last day for five bucks donation. 
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited April 30 Posts: 743
    riverc0il said:

riverc0il said:

ski_it said:

Jay May 7th plus

Why wouldn't you believe Jay's official Facebook page? Good grief. It isn't like the information is coming from two different sources, they just posted to FB before they could update their web site (happens frequently at many areas). Which has since been updated and now also shows May 1 as their last day for five bucks donation. 

I just posted that their snow report stated May 7th yesterday morning, get a grip.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    sugarloaf said:

riverc0il said:

riverc0il said:

ski_it said:

Jay May 7th plus

I just posted that their snow report stated May 7th yesterday morning, get a grip.

The integration between management, marketing, mountain ops and patrol, especially late season, isn't as always a dynamic and seamless as it should be.

If marketing was out on the hill taking pics to put up on social media, they may not of been able to update things once the reality that a closing this weekend instead of next weekend was going to have to happen based on an early day assessment.

That's what Steve Wright posted, and given what a straight shooter he is, and has been historically, I fully think that's what happened - heck even mid season we see from time to time delays in updates in lift openings/holds and the same thing with trails - it's still not as seamless an integration between decisions about operations and communication to social media forms as we wish it would be
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 1 Posts: 1,559
    khowley said:

ski_it said:

Killington May 1st plus

Jay May 7th plus

Sugarloaf's last day was not last weekend.  I was up there today to check my cottage after my seasonal tenants moved out and the mountain was open today.  Not sure how many runs but a number of trails still had good cover and there was a sizeable crowd with the parking lot by the hotel and the one below if full and the next parking lot about 25% filled.  It was 68 and sunny at the base when I drove through.

I think last weekend was their last weekend of the season because today is their last day of the season. 

From their daily report:

As of May 01, 2017 at 8:30 AM EDT

"Good morning, Sugarloafers. As history has taught us, all good things must come to an end—the 2016/17 ski season included. Today is our final day of the season, and it seems as though even Mother Nature is sad about it (judging by the rain drops). We'll likely see rain showers off an on throughout the day, but with some trusty Gore-Tex outerwear and the right attitude, the day wont be a total wash out. There's still a decent amount of snow up there, so come on up for the season's last day of lift serviced skiing and riding."  Mostly likely two trails, may be more will be open.

Similarly today is the last day of the season for Sugarbush, Sunday River & as stated above by Rivercoil, Jay Peak's too.

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

I skied Sunday River’s last day today. Good for them to make
    the enough to stretch the season and make it free. They did have to push snow
    around to make 3 trails with continuous snow. When I stopped at 2 PM, Ecstasy, the
    trail from the Barker Quad that everyone had to take had 3 semi-bare spots.
    They are definitely done.

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Snocountry today shows no place in the northeast US to ski today.  Killington re-opens Friday, but other that that, the "fat lady has sung" for the lift serviced part of the 2016-7 season.
    IMG_1361.JPG
    200 x 200 - 33K
  • montebedimontebedi intermediate
    joshua_segal said:Snocountry today shows no place in the northeast US to ski today.  Killington re-opens Friday, but other that that, the "fat lady has sung" for the lift serviced part of the 2016-7 season.

Hey any idea on the terrain for the weekend at Killington considering taking a trip up this weekend.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    montebedi said:

Snocountry today shows no place in the northeast US to ski today.  Killington re-opens Friday, but other that that, the "fat lady has sung" for the lift serviced part of the 2016-7 season.

Hey any idea on the terrain for the weekend at Killington considering taking a trip up this weekend.

You can check my Sunday, Apr. 30 report on the Killington thread - and I am planning to be there on the 7th.  I don't think much will have changed.  Superstar T2B is fine and they count that as 3 trails, Skyelark T2B should be OK and they count that as 2 trails).  Upper High Road may be gone, but it is not that important, except to connect from Superstar to Lower Bittersweet.  Lower Bittersweet should be OK.  Skyehawk was already "some walking required, both at the top and bottom and I suspect that will be done for the season.

Just trying to catch up to home stuff after a snowy week in Banff, on the current draft of this week's blog post, I have 3 or 4 ski areas left. 3 in Quebec (MSS, Comi and maybe Miller) and K. All weekend with Friday for K's part.
    Ski Mad World
    edited May 5 Posts: 80
    Here is this week's blog post. A quick version, we are down to 2 (MSS in QC and K in VT).

How long May it last? - Week 6

edit: Comi announced today that they are done for the season, so the official count is two for this weekend, but call ahead with this wet forecast. MSS has been known not to spin with weather is less than ideal for spring skiing (ie. rain and no one showing up)

Ski Mad World
    Same old, same old...for a 5th year in a row. ;) MSS and Kmart open this weekend.

Consistent as a Mothers’ Day in May – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Past 7

Ski Mad World
    MadPatSki said:

Same old, same old...for a 5th year in a row. ;) MSS and Kmart open this weekend.

Update: @SommetSaintSau announced extra wkend of skiing. New closing date: May 21. @KillingtonMtn still going until the snow melts or June.
    Ski Mad World
    MadPatSki said:

MadPatSki said:

Update: @SommetSaintSau announced extra wkend of skiing. New closing date: May 21. @KillingtonMtn still going until the snow melts or June.
    Actually forgot that May 22 is a Holiday here in Canada, so MSS will be open May 20-21-22.
    Ski Mad World
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    MadPatSki, that May holiday in Canada (do they still call it Queen Victoria Day?) used to - and probably still does - bring lots of Canadians to Tuckerman Ravine on Mt.Washington. It always was a weekend that was a lot of fun. They were a wild bunch.