New England Ski Areas with True Ski-on/ski-off Access

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
edited March 31 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,806
I notice that many large areas have condos, but not true ski-on/ski-off.  My observation for instance at Killington is that they have lots of condos, but almost none are ski-on/ski-off - or its clunky or very seasonal such Sunrise and all the housing below the Skyeship Midstation.

Waterville Valley has a lovely village, but it's several miles from the ski area lifts.

How about a list of ski areas that have true ski-on/ski-off access to the main mountain?

Start of a list:

NH:
- Crotched
- Loon
- Attitash

VT
- Jay Peak
- Stowe
- Ascutney
- Mt. Snow

MA
- Jiminy Peak

I know Smuggler's has condos, but I recall walking to and from the lifts.  

What can you add?

Comments

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Smugglers does have ski/ski off condos at Morse Mountain. GIven Morse is not the "main mountain" as it is more novice compared to Sterling or Madonna mountains.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    mtsnow123 said:

Smugglers does have ski/ski off condos at Morse Mountain. GIven Morse is not the "main mountain" as it is more novice compared to Sterling or Madonna mountains.

I believe I stayed at those and they were in the base area, but still a walk to Morse.  Are there others where you start by skiing downhill?
  • khowleykhowley intermediate
    Sugarloaf has some true ski-on/ski-off condos.
    Pico has a number. Especially on Home Run.
    - Sam
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    edited March 31 Posts: 42
    Smuggs has some higher up on Morse that are true ski in/ski out where you can ski down to load the lift.
    Others I can think of that would fit this category

Black NH
    Cranmore
    Ragged (Cardigan cabins are rental units for now but could convert to selling units if/when they build more)
    Saddleback
    Burke
    Magic
  • xlr8rxlr8r intermediate
    Okemo
    Stratton
    Bromley
    Burke
    Bretton Woods
    Sunday River
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    edited March 31 Posts: 326

mtsnow123 said:

I believe I stayed at those and they were in the base area, but still a walk to Morse.  Are there others where you start by skiing downhill?
    Yes, there are a few on the side of the Village lift and the other side of the Mogul Mouse. I can verify this as I have stayed on both sides at the Mountain Laurels and the Falcons condos at Morse Mountain. If anyone remembers seeing the heated pool just below mid station of the Village lift, that is a condo. You can ski from the pool side to the bottom of the village chair and then get home later in the day from skiing back from the top of the Village chair.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    I would add Smuggs' if you consider Morse a 'main' mountain. 

Pico fits the category, I would think. Yes, you do have to walk past the Lodge, but it is still closer than the parking lot.

Burke has single family and townhomes scattered amongst the lower slopes.

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    JMaul said:

I would add Smuggs' if you consider Morse a 'main' mountain. 

Pico fits the category, I would think. Yes, you do have to walk past the Lodge, but it is still closer than the parking lot.

Burke has single family and townhomes scattered amongst the lower slopes.

You don't have to walk at all from the condos along Home Run at Pico.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Ascutney?  Really?  Then you'll have to include Big Vanilla at Davos  ;)
  • obienickobienick expert
    Mittersill
    edited April 9 Posts: 1,806

Summary #1
    Keep in mind: I'm looking for areas where one can put on skis and ski to a lift that is open most of the season

MA
    - Jiminy Peak

ME:
    - Saddleback
    - Sugarloaf
    - Sunday River

NH:
    - Attitash
    - Black NH
    - Bretton Woods
    - Cannon (Mittersill side) [Added as per comments below]
    - Cranmore
    - Crotched
    - Loon
    - Ragged (added as per NES13 comment below)
    - Tenney (added as per comments below)

VT
    - Ascutney
    - Bromley
    - Burke
    - Jay Peak
    - Mad River Glen (Added as per comments below)
    - Magic (added as per NES13 comment below)
    - Mt. Snow
    - Okemo
    - Pico
    - Smuggler's Notch
    - Stowe
    - Stratton

Notes on summary:
    Ragged: Planned, but not yet
    Magic: I know there is a substantial condo development at the base of Magic, but are they really ski-on/ski-off?
    Mittersill: The Mittersill Inn was at the base and not ski-on.  Is there other potential ski-on/ski-off property there?

Aside to rickbolger who said, "Ascutney?  Really?  Then you'll have to include Big Vanilla at Davos."
    Note the thread title is "New England ...".  Ascutney was real ski-on/ski-off last time I was there.  I don't know if it still is (or if the condos are even open.)
    Yes, a number of the condos at Magic are ski-in/ski-out.
    - Sam
  • newmannewman advanced
    The state of NY has a lot. The other New England. >:)
  • slathamslatham advanced
    edited April 2 Posts: 152
    Should we consider narrowing this down to ski areas with ski on/off lodging (or even a hotel) that is available to the public? vs. privately owned condos that may or not be available? An example is Bromley, which has condo's that may or may not be available for rental, and may or not be ski on/off, vs. the Sun Mountain Lodge which is a hotel that is clearly ski on/off.

Does Sugarbush - Claybrook qualify or no because you can't ski down from it?
    slatham said:

Should we consider narrowing this down to ski areas with ski on/off lodging (or even a hotel) that is available to the public? vs. privately owned condos that may or not be available? An example is Bromley, which has condo's that may or may not be available for rental, and may or not be ski on/off, vs. the Sun Mountain Lodge which is a hotel that is clearly ski on/off.

Does Sugarbush - Claybrook qualify or no because you can't ski down from it?
    Good idea.  I don't know those details.  If you or one of the other SJers would like to give a shot at that, I'll redo the summary accordingly.

As to Claybrook: I rejected the Grand at Killington and the Mittersill Inn, so I guess Claybrook gets rejected too!
  • edited April 2 Posts: 2,012
    If you're going with lodging properties then Ragged would work.
    - Sam

If you're going with lodging properties then Ragged would work.

Where are these?  I know they are planned, but last time I was there (2 years ago), I sure didn't see any. 
    They can be seen in the center of this photo off the Barnyard Triple.image
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 364K
    Any of you have current price ranges of ski-on/ski-off condos?

Mountainside at Crotched Mtn. varies from about $40K for a studio to $120K for a townhouse.  No health club or other add-ons.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Mad River Glen does too, off the Practice Double. JD
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    They are right on the trail at Tenney.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 9 Posts: 1,740
    ?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    IMG_5235.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    I don't understand the exclusion of Mittersill. It has quite a bit of properties that you can click in at and ski right to the lift.

I don't understand the exclusion of Mittersill. It has quite a bit of properties that you can click in at and ski right to the lift.

Really?  My recollection is thqt the only lodging is the old Mittersill Inn  which was (and probably still is) a time share and not ski-on. If you know otherwise, I am happy to add it.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Now this will be slopesideimage
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    edited April 9 Posts: 1,806

To ski_it: Where is the above photo from?  Looks like a quad so it can't be Tenney, Mittersil or Mad River Glen.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    None of those. It's where my current guess this area post is from, which is Attitash
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Another at a near by area. Yes NES on both. I'm just providing pictures of same. This is Black and a lift was running. There's a sign on the lodge that says Slopeside available image
    IMG_5253.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • edited April 9 Posts: 2,012
    Attitash?
    Those homes at Black look like they're ski-in, ski-out, but I see it's already been mentioned.
    - Sam