Mt Sunapee Sunday 4/2/2017

ski_itski_it expert
edited April 3 in Trip Reports Posts: 1,737
No cheating NES
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
IMG_5209.JPG
8576 x 2332 - 5M

Comments

I know exactly where that is, but I'll let someone else guess.
    - Sam
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    On top of a mountain? ;)
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Mt Snow, Summit Lodge?
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Sunapee.

Okemo, Ascutney, Killington in background

Sunapee.

Okemo, Ascutney, Killington in background
    There's even more ski areas visible in the distance if you look south of Okemo. I think I see Stratton and Timberline. Not sure about the one facing south: Bromley or Mt. Snow?

This is one of the best panorama shots I've ever seen.

IBRAKE
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 3 Posts: 1,737
    Betsy & lotsoskiing are right.
    Not sure they are all visible in that pic but you could see R to L Killington, back of Ascutney, maybe Plymouth Notch but I think not, Okemo, Magic or TimberRidge, Mt Snow, Haystack and Bromley. Also perhaps Crotched.

They picked up 16" from the storm and the crowds were out. The lots and lodges were jammed. People parked all the way down to the rotary. To bring people out, Besides the sun & snow, there were $35 tixs if you brought 5 cans for the food bank. Sunapee beach was jammed and it was the 28th annual cardboard sled race. Very creative entries.
    The temperature quickly shot up to 46F and the powder changed to a pretty heavy chunky monkey. Down at the base in the sun there were annoying stick and slip sections. But it did not get slushy. The lines down in the Sun bowl were huge as at the summit quad. After lunch people began leaving and the lines weren't too bad.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    IMG_5182.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_5185.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_5189.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_5192.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_5203.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_5195.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_5198.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • JonniJonni intermediate
    I miss those days...They were the best days to work as everyone was in a great mood - sun shining, and the vibe was awesome. Alas, life, work and bills have gotten the better of me. Maybe next year!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Like the third picture of the lake in the distance my favorite thank you
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 4 Posts: 1,737
    ciscokid said:

I knew it would be so I made sure to include one.

Thanks Ibrake that's the nicest complement for a pic that doesn't have a visible T bar. Oh wait, I think I can make out one over at Okemo. :D
    ski_it said:

ciscokid said:

I knew it would be so I made sure to include one.

Thanks Ibrake that's the nicest complement for a pic that doesn't have a visible T bar. Oh wait, I think I can make out one over at Okemo. :D
    I love panorama shots like that one and yours is the nicest I've seen. Places like Sunapee are blessed to allow viewing multiple ski areas across the horizon.

Pretty certain I've identified them all. I studied a few aerial maps earlier today and I'm 99% sure I see Haystack and Stratton towards the left. I don't think Mt. Snow's trails are visible at all. Timberline is on the backside of Magic Mt and faces east towards Sunapee. Bromley's southern exposure gives it away. Okemo, the backside of Ascutney, and Killington were easily visible.

As far as Crotched goes (the original Crotched and the new Crotched - is that the former Onset or Bobcat?) aren't the tops of those visible towards the far left?

IBRAKE
  • ski_itski_it expert

Your list is in a better order. I think you can see Mt Snow but not Crotched in this view. I thought I saw one south of Haystack but can't see anything in the pic and don't know what it could be anyway. I believe on a clearer day to the north you can see Sugarbush, but not that day.

Ok among many things I'm not, is a graphic artist. if you zoom in you can see my labels. Let me know if you disagree. I need to get one of those AR apps like ViewRanger, but IDK which one if any works well.

IMG_5209 - Copy.JPG
    8576 x 2332 - 5M
    ski_it said:

Your list is in a better order. I think you can see Mt Snow but not Crotched in this view. I thought I saw one south of Haystack but can't see anything in the pic and don't know what it could be anyway. I believe on a clearer day to the north you can see Sugarbush, but not that day.

Ok among many things I'm not, is a graphic artist. if you zoom in you can see my labels. Let me know if you disagree. I need to get one of those AR apps like ViewRanger, but IDK which one if any works well.

Your labelling was a brilliant idea! Seems I thought the tops of Crotched were the wind farms. So Haystack is that peak to the south of Mt. Snow. I went back and forth on whether Mt. Snow was Haystack. The visible trails must be the the top and/or part of Mt. Snow's north side?

The one that has me stumped is what appears a small ski hill just north of Okemo. Is that anything?

IBRAKE

Wow that is cool and what knowledge Ibrake4tbars, I'm impressesed. Hey that's about as clear a you can get, no?

Crap you got almost half of Vt rt 100 on that pic
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Whoa watch the reposts, the admins going to be mad I'm using up all the storage space.
    Yes I'm impressed too. I live around here and I didn't write it down right. There's an app for that I'm sure.
    IMHO, I'll defer to those more knowledgeable, that's the North & Main Face of Snow. The wide one is prob. Snowdance or as my daughter calls it, The Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Anyone use a good app to ID peaks?
    I don't know what that one next to Okemo is. I know there's a large power line over there, a NELSAP or it could be a farm?
    Crotched might be in the trees but I still think not, maybe JS would know. I thought I could see just the top of it looking more south off the of the deck.
    It seemed much clearer taking the pic. I've seen clearer days to the north there. I couldn't see much or any of the Franconia range or whites, or further up the Greens.
    If we had X-ray vision, at min. Dartmouth, S6, Whaleback, Storrs, King Ridge(NELSAP) Quechee, Arrowhead, & Granite Gorge would be encompassed in that view. I think the back of Ragged is just out of view above the lake. Idk a lot of guess work on my part.
    I thought looking at Breckenridge from the outback at keystone was impressive and vice versa but the volume here is unsurpassed
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I agree with Ski_it's labels, having taken photos on a day like that and zoomed in. The thing to keep in mind is that when you're there the ski areas look much bigger. Okemo looks huge. Just east of Okemo would be a power line.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Yeah, I over hear a lot of people up there who think that is Killington.
    Have I got Monadnock right ?