Wildcat 4/3/2017

bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
edited April 4 in Trip Reports Posts: 262
Perfect weather, bluebird, no clouds. We started skiing the groomers early since the ungroomed was still crusty. Polecat, Lynx and Catapult were the primary groomers, all were nice frozen cord until about 11:00am. Things just weren't softening quick enough so we rolled the dice and tried Upper Wildcat, and it paid off. The shady sides skied awesome with sweet packed powder bumps. I absolutely love that trail!!! No lack of yummy anti-fall line fun. We did it several times. Upper Top Cat had similar conditions with good bumps down to Cat Track. Below that there was still quite a bit of crust until about 12:30 when the lower mountain finally started to soften. Bobcat and Cheetah were amazing and we enjoyed a ride on the Bobcat Triple. 

The glades were being quite stubborn and I made a dumbass Dad suggestion to drive down to Attitash to ski some soft glades....well, 50 minutes later we were back at Wildcat thanks to Attitash being closed. I keep forgetting it is April, the current coverage scene is something February skiers would kill for.

The rest of the afternoon we spent skiing all the little nooks and crannies Wildcat has to offer. Of particular mention was Al's Folly, Hairball, and Catacomb Glade. We also enjoyed Panther and the rarely-open Chutes at the bottom. 

Tuckermans and Gulf of Slides look the best I have seen in April for 20+ years. Likely a no go for now until it settles a bit though.

Trail of the day was unquestionably Upper Wildcat. It is tough to get enough of that. Cheers to an amazing spring ski season of 2017!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 4 Posts: 1,737
    Beautiful. Love upper Wildcat. I know some of those rocks intimately. When we were there Mrs Ski It wondered how they didn't run out of those little orange signs. I wish there was an easier way, wait no, not easier but one with less rocks, coming over from Lift Lion to Top Cat. I know I see you good skiers bam right thru there but I usually make a mess of it.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Delicious
    Looks like you couldn't ask for better spring conditions!
    - Sam
    What stunning pics! So beautiful.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 4 Posts: 1,737
    Another slight exaggeration there. That 4,062' elevation is for the summit of Wildcat Peak "D" (source wiki, topos, etc...) which you have to hike up 87' behind the patrol shack to reach. That's over two Gateway Hills Snow Parks in vertical! I make it as a max of 3975' from GE for the ski trails and my Ski Tracks actually confirms this (for once). So you never break the 4000' mark while skiing there.  Just need to move that sign over 300' up to the Appalachian Trail.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Just need to move that sign over 300' up to the Appalachian Trail.
    They should have just run the lift right up there!  I guess the obvious reason why that isn't the case is the extreme wind and vulnerability of that quad.  At times it seems the chairs are only 10' or so above the ground....we assumed this is a wind prevention measure.

There was a gripe I omitted from the trip report but it needs to be raised...Wildcat and Attitash do not participate in the SkiNH 4th and 5th Grade Snowsports Passport program.  I proudly pulled out the coupon book at the ticket counter to present the coupon for my son's pass, lo and behold, they don't take it.  Crotched and Attitash/Wildcat are the only resorts in NH that blow this off (Peak Resorts).  I've been told that both Attitash and Wildcat used to participate.  What happened?  Not sure about Crotched.  The ticket agent's solution was to hand me a promo card for the Peak pass.

While I realize that participation in the Passport program is voluntary, it does come off as being quite douchy to not participate.  After all, the purpose is to get kids out skiing and provide donations to the Make a Wish Foundation.  Even VT resorts offer a similar program. 

I really hope this is just an oversight on their part and they'll be back on board next season. 

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Yeah bubble I am familiar with the fourth and fifth grade passport thing from my grandsons I did not get it this year because we have season passes at Caberfae but next year I will get it together and I hope to really be able to ski at the old hidden hidden Valley which is now the at Otsego club in Gaylord it has the old minor Denver chair lifts and I have never skied there so I really need to make that a priority next year taking advantage of my grandson's fifth grade passport to get to that area and scope it out that's were the original Tele car lifts were put in by palma Galsky
    ciscokid said:

Yeah bubble I am familiar with the fourth and fifth grade passport thing from my grandsons I did not get it this year because we have season passes at Caberfae but next year I will get it together and I hope to really be able to ski at the old hidden hidden Valley which is now the at Otsego club in Gaylord it has the old minor Denver chair lifts and I have never skied there so I really need to make that a priority next year taking advantage of my grandson's fifth grade passport to get to that area and scope it out that's were the original Tele car lifts were put in by palma Galsky

Wow.  I didn't realize that...it seems to be a nationwide program handled by each state.  All the more shame on Peak Resorts for not participating.
  • tededetedede advanced
    There was a gripe I omitted from the trip report but it needs to be raised...Wildcat and Attitash do not participate in the SkiNH 4th and 5th Grade Snowsports Passport program.  I proudly pulled out the coupon book at the ticket counter to present the coupon for my son's pass, lo and behold, they don't take it.  Crotched and Attitash/Wildcat are the only resorts in NH that blow this off (Peak Resorts).  I've been told that both Attitash and Wildcat used to participate.  What happened?  Not sure about Crotched.  The ticket agent's solution was to hand me a promo card for the Peak pass.

While I realize that participation in the Passport program is voluntary, it does come off as being quite douchy to not participate.  After all, the purpose is to get kids out skiing and provide donations to the Make a Wish Foundation.  Even VT resorts offer a similar program. 

I really hope this is just an oversight on their part and they'll be back on board next season. 

A little googling would reveal Peak Resorts dropped out Ski NH five years ago and is unable to participate in the passport program without being a member of Ski NH.

It was a financial decision and was not specifically made to target 9 and 10 year olds.

"douchy" is such a crass word.
    edited April 4 Posts: 262
    tedede said:

A little googling would reveal Peak Resorts dropped out Ski NH five years ago and is unable to participate in the passport program without being a member of Ski NH.

It was a financial decision and was not specifically made to target 9 and 10 year olds.

"douchy" is such a crass word.

Interesting article.  I think it was a poor decision, and likely not well received by more than just myself. 

The passport is a wise, strategic, move for the resorts and reflects solid long-term thinking.  Someone has to drive these kids to the resort and most likely pays for a full-price adult ticket.  Not too mention, they may stay over night, book lodging, eat out, rent.  These kids grow up and return to the resorts to ski, spend money.

I honestly prefer VT for my spring skiing trips but have been targeting trips to NH late this season to eat up this coupon book.