Killington to Add South Ridge Quad in 2018

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,862
- Sam

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    I'm surprised a new lift is going into a lower-use area. Or is Killington going to add snowmaking and/or cut another trail? One would think it would make more fiscal sense to replace Snowdon Quad or Ram's Head Express, refurbish the replaced lift, and reinstall it at South Ridge. 
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited April 4 Posts: 478
    I am happy to see some focus back on the south basin - seems like it's been emphasized first with SUnrise then South Ridge removals. Here is a link with info on the base area redev: http://www.ora-bearmtn.biz/

I think at a minimum the snowmaking on Lower Pipe Dream has to be replaced. That will allow for a green and blue route down.

As for a Bear replacement - I can't see a HSQ there at less than 3K feet line length. Carpet loader?

Snowshed crossover comes back with tunnels... 

One thing is for sure, I bet the Fiddle will get more snowmaking attention once done.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The combo of the Bear area redevelopment/housing expansion, installing a new South Ridge lift and what is also mentioned in that article. the installation of a tunnel for Snowshed Crossover, to me atleast shows that the K folks were able to convey the the Powdr folks the decreased ease of moving across the resort from the Bear side to the Killington Basin side once South Ridge was removed and the nets on Snowshed Crossover were put up.  Addressing this concurrently with the likely big $$ housing expansion around Bear will help minimize some of these issues before the new owners get the keys to their new properties as well as enhancing the ability to move across the resort both to and from Bear!
    When and why was lower Juggernaut removed? That would have provided an escape route from Bear with Skye Express down. Where is this snowshed tunnel going? At the intersection of Highlander Yodler?  Aren't the Snowdon crossings far more dangerous?
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    For all of the  positives about Killington, in truth, Killington is just recovering from the deferred maintenance issues from the last years of ASC.  There is a shopping list of options to attack.  The abandoned towers of Devil's Fiddle and the South Ridge, make me feel that I am in the slums of the burned out South Bronx (hyperbole) when I pass that way!

I do not know the condition of the Snowshed HSQ, but it's old and it's a Yan.  That might need attention soon and while that is of little interest to most of us, it's bread-and-butter for them.

I believe there is some snowmaking capability on the South Ridge.  I don't know if it is usable.  There are some really nice trails and glades over there but it is hard to get to; and if you get there, you have to take Bear Trax back to Bear and at least two lift rides to do the South Ridge Trails again!  As Killington's skier visits continue to recover to its heydays of a bygone era, having another pod available IMO is a good thing. When all lifts are up and running with weekend lift lines, most trails (except the South Ridge) are too crowded which is what makes the South Ridge such a good choice.

A lot of people would like to see the Snowdon Quad replaced with and HSQ.  Nice for the guests, but IMO, it won't help traffic issues.

The places to consider that would actually adding skiing terrain:
    1. Reclaim Sunrise: IMO - a non-starter.
    2. Interconnect Killington with Pico.  Do any of our SJers know the complexities of the watershed issue for snowmaking if that proceeds & if so, please share?
    3. Add a short pod to the old top of Ramshead.  Not sure how much vertical is involved, but if it's over 300 feet, it's comparable to the area served by the Snowdon Poma.

- Other ideas?
    obienick said:

When and why was lower Juggernaut removed? That would have provided an escape route from Bear with Skye Express down. Where is this snowshed tunnel going? At the intersection of Highlander Yodler?  Aren't the Snowdon crossings far more dangerous?

Irene took out portions of the trail - given its low usage (no one knew where it was + having to schlep across the parking lot) they probably did not bother rebuilding. I have had to use it before when the lifts are down back in the day.

The tunnels would be to the South - the crossover was closed because it crossed Bear Claw/Stash, Skyeburst, Needle's, etc at grade, lots of accidents.

For all of the  positives about Killington, in truth, Killington is just recovering from the deferred maintenance issues from the last years of ASC.  There is a shopping list of options to attack.  The abandoned towers of Devil's Fiddle and the South Ridge, make me feel that I am in the slums of the burned out South Bronx (hyperbole) when I pass that way!

I do not know the condition of the Snowshed HSQ, but it's old and it's a Yan.  That might need attention soon and while that is of little interest to most of us, it's bread-and-butter for them.

I believe there is some snowmaking capability on the South Ridge.  I don't know if it is usable.  There are some really nice trails and glades over there but it is hard to get to; and if you get there, you have to take Bear Trax back to Bear and at least two lift rides to do the South Ridge Trails again!  As Killington's skier visits continue to recover to its heydays of a bygone era, having another pod available IMO is a good thing. When all lifts are up and running with weekend lift lines, most trails (except the South Ridge) are too crowded which is what makes the South Ridge such a good choice.

A lot of people would like to see the Snowdon Quad replaced with and HSQ.  Nice for the guests, but IMO, it won't help traffic issues.

The places to consider that would actually adding skiing terrain:
    1. Reclaim Sunrise: IMO - a non-starter.
    2. Interconnect Killington with Pico.  Do any of our SJers know the complexities of the watershed issue for snowmaking if that proceeds & if so, please share?
    3. Add a short pod to the old top of Ramshead.  Not sure how much vertical is involved, but if it's over 300 feet, it's comparable to the area served by the Snowdon Poma.

- Other ideas?

Upper Pipe Dream has functioning snowmaking as does Bear Cub/Falls Brook or whatever it is called now down to the base of the old lift. What hasn't worked in probably 30 years is Lower Pipe Dream. Think that be a must to get back to guarantee two routes open to the base of the lift.
    edited April 4 Posts: 819
    Wasn't Devil's Fiddle shuttered in the early Powdr-era contraction moves by Nyberg?  

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Wasn't Devil's Fiddle shuttered in the early Powdr-era contraction moves by Nyberg?  

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/killington.php suggests that it was retired in in 2007-8 which corresponds to the start of the POWDR era with Nyberg.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited April 5 Posts: 1,018

The abandoned towers of Devil's Fiddle and the South Ridge, make me feel that I am in the slums of the burned out South Bronx (hyperbole) when I pass that way!

A quick glance at the Killington webcam reveals this to be true...

:D
    joshua in south bronx.jpg
    649 x 401 - 227K
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    If this is real, I say YAY! Bear Cub is a bummer and it would be quite nice to simply be able to ski Jug/Handle, Roundabout, Breakaway and then move on to the next pod.