Sherburne Ski Trail and Tuckerman Inferno 4/8/2017

edited April 9 in Trip Reports Posts: 1,862
Yesterday the Tuckerman Inferno race took place. I was stationed at HoJo's to direct racers headed to the hike-ski transition and was able to ski down afterwards. I started the hike up as soon as it was light enough to see, so I could arrive in time for an 8:00 safety meeting. It was snowing as I hiked and the new snow got deeper and deeper as I ascended. There was probably 5 inches of new snow at HoJo's on top of an existing snowpack of 5-6 feet. It was snowing the entire day with temperatures in the upper teens and winds 25-50 mph with gusts to 70. I heard it was far worse in the Ravine! Because of the weather and high avalanche danger the skiing portion of the race was held on the Sherburne. The crowds were far smaller than normal for race day because of the conditions. After a cold day of directing racers I started the decent down the Sherburne around 1:20. The entire trail had well sized moguls and some massive drifts on the upper portions. The new snow skied perfectly, but there were a number of scraped-off icy sections, especially near the bottom. It really is an outstanding ski trail and is worth the hike up, even if the bowl isn't an option on that day.

Tuckerman Ravine TrailimageTuckerman Ravine TrailimageDeep Snowpack (Almost covering trail sign!)imageTuckerman Ravine TrailimageSherburne Ski Trail Near Hike-Ski TransitionimageHoJo's in the MorningimageHoJo's in the MorningimageAvalanche Advisory BoardimageMid-Day Crowd at HoJo'simageReady to Ski!imageSherburne Ski TrailimageSherburne Ski TrailimageSherburne Ski TrailimageSherburne Ski Trail and WildcatimageSherburne Ski Trailimage
- Sam
image.jpeg
1080 x 1920 - 388K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 312K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 334K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 358K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 366K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 377K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 327K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 369K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 316K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 362K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 381K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 379K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 345K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 366K
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 370K

Comments

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Great report! It's been years since I've been there. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert

Great pictures & report as always. I had thought it might be Inferno weekend and you'd be up at HoJos, when I saw all the kayaks on cars Friday night. Then when I saw the Caution Race Today signs on route 302 on my way to Attitash I knew you sickos were up to no good once again! You're all a different breed than I, that's for sure.

I'm glad & a little surprised the conditions were as good on the ski trail from the reports I received from across the valley that day.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Wow still very much winter there!
  • skirickskirick intermediate

Yes, nice report and pics. I was last there 10 years ago. All the times we were there during mid early/mid April we were never able to ski the Sherby all the way out, so winter is deff holding on up there.

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Nice don't know much if anything about inferno or s trail
    Looks flattish?

Compare to Thunderbolt?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 11 Posts: 1,587

Flattish? According to guide books, it drops 1860 to 2000 ft in 2 miles comparable to an ungroomed intermediate at a large resort. "The Sherburne is classed as advanced terrain as it is quite narrow much of the way, however it is not particulary steep. In the spring it can be well covered with moguls with the usual hazards of rocks and branches."

But I have never skied it so we should wait for the expert opinions to come in.

You see those two trails straight ahead? It's the trail on the left or straight ahead if you continued on the trail I am on and could jump (fly across?) the Notch. You hike up the Ravine Trail on the right and ski down the Sherburne.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    IMG_5266.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    ciscokid said:

Nice don't know much if anything about inferno or s trail
    Looks flattish?

Compare to Thunderbolt?

Defintely not flat. I would rate as a solid black diamond. It has intermediate sections which link steep pitches. It's always narrow and always has moguls. It's about as perfect as a New England ski run can get!
    - Sam
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    The Sherb is pretty mellow. Definitely would be a blue square pitch at most ski areas if the trail was normal ski area width with snowmaking and grooming. The bumps, width, and thin coverage in the spring kick up the difficulty a notch. So mellow pitch but the conditions can increase the difficulty, especially when coverage is thin. 
  • ski_itski_it expert

We mustn't forget our NSAA Trail Rating Color coding

Left Gulley = ?

The Ice Fall = ?

Dodge's Drop = ? 

Sherburne = ?

Yea sorry for any disparaging remarks, if it's anything near steepness like the Mount Washington auto road which in my opinion was a nailbiter then yes it definitely has pitch

I never knew it existed but I still would like someone to compare it to the thunderbolts with anything in comparison
    edited April 12 Posts: 1,244
    I still cannot get over the mid winter conditions shown here for April 8 we have not had natural on the ground here for well over a month what a difference

The last minute gives me an idea of the trail and this woman with her bellies skis it about the way I would but if anyone can find some steeper video of the Sherburne trail that would be great but yeah it looks like a fantastic fun New England trail thank you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_pCiRO24p0
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Yes but it must be melting fast with this hot spell. :( The pic below is from Jackson 4/8
    Stats here:
    http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/skiing.html
    There are links on NESH for many CCC alpine trails in NE.
    IMG_5250.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M