Lonesome Pine Trails 4/20/2017

edited April 21 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,010
Yesterday I was near this ski area so I stopped by the base and took a few photos. Where was I?

- Sam
image.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 316K

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Black Mtn. of ME?

Black Mtn. of ME?

Not Black
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Abram?
    ciscokid said:

Abram?

not Abram
    - Sam
    What's Dave's place called again the fellow that owns the ski area and almost died few years back
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Kid, it's not Eaton Mt, their lodge is smaller than that and overdue for improvements. In contrast, Black Mt. of ME is large and modern. What it is, I have no clue.

• edited April 21 Posts: 2,010
    Here's another photo which has a few big clues:image
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 321K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Man. You were way north in ME.........
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    you were out there, wow.  Fort Kent!  Lonesome Pine alpine.  Not the end of the world, but you can see it from there!
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited April 21 Posts: 822

Lonesome Pines, Fort Kent, ME. You do get around!

Dang! beat by 2 minutes. For the record, I got it without seeing the second photo.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Do tell why you were there...too early for potatoes...hungry for ployes perhaps?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I was chastised once here so I'll do the same. It's Pine not Pines..
    So was it open? Looks like someone is on the T. And you didn't ski it or are you today?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I stopped by the base area and took a few photos briefly before I went to a meeting in town. It was not open, but they would be able to have all trails available if they were. There was still a couple feet of base! Someone was hiking up along the T-bar and there were a number of people sledding. It looks like a fun place to ski with lots of narrow, winding trails.

imageimage
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 316K
    image.jpeg
    1920 x 1080 - 358K
    What?!!! Not open w all that white? April 21 and no brown

Keep going to chic chocks or gaspe, heck if I was past the caribou I'd be scooting over to le massif or old smokey NS

Shame on them for not running the tbar for you
  • ski_itski_it expert

Well, will you look at that! It says Pines in their .org and the top of the Trail Map page, but other places it says just Pine. I guess I'll take back my chastising, but a single Pine sounds lonesomer than some Pines.

It is a fun place to ski. There's even some woods to ski over to skier's left near the T-bar. As the brochure states you can take a one way ride up & go down the back side on your X-C gear ending up the 10th Mountain Ski Center.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Did you ski it? Ski_it
    Boy that Garbobstinkle trail looks naaasrrrow

Yea just a t and j bar, 500' vert and I'm sure some volley voofrance

Well how many moose did you see driving up SS fellow correspondent bum
    JMaul said:

Man. You were way north in ME.........

I think jersey JMaul has a direct hack to Sams computer- phone
    I don't know how else he does it, and so slyly without a direct divulge
  • ski_itski_it expert
    ciscokid said:

Did you ski it? Ski_it

But of course I have skied it. See my SJ1.0 TR. IIRC Garbo wasn't too bad, it's only a little steep at the top. I saw zero moose back then over a 8 day trip.
    ski_it said:

ciscokid said:

Did you ski it? Ski_it

But of course I have skied it. See my SJ1.0 TR. IIRC Garbo wasn't too bad, it's only a little steep at the top. I saw zero moose back then over a 8 day trip.
    Please Tell me I have access to sj1
    Would love to reread it and see your pics

I think with all the fine folks here and especially Joshua living where Chris works getting access to the sj1 archives is doable.
    Did anyone ever figure out who our fine administrator is? Would love to get all the powers that be to get all the old sj1 pages to reread all the trip reports you did ski it.
    Well I might as well ask for Ibrake4tbars, is it a Hall? I like the yellow towers
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Definitely Hall
  • ski_itski_it expert
    We know the admin but I'm sure SJ 1 is out of their ownership. Just because they were nice enough to start a new web site doesn't mean are responsible for the old content.
    ski_it said:

We know the admin but I'm sure SJ 1 is out of their ownership. Just because they were nice enough to start a new web site doesn't mean are responsible for the old content.

I know that, don't be so rough
    I just miss the old times
    Boy it's gonna be a looong silly season, maybe I better resurrect the " have we had a beer thread yet this summer"
    Can't believe sj2 is almost 2Yrs old!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ciscokid said:

ski_it said:

ciscokid said:

Did you ski it? Ski_it

Please Tell me I have access to sj1
    Would love to reread it and see your pics

I think with all the fine folks here and especially Joshua living where Chris works getting access to the sj1 archives is doable.
    Did anyone ever figure out who our fine administrator is? Would love to get all the powers that be to get all the old sj1 pages to reread all the trip reports you did ski it.
    Chris doesn't work for Peak Resorts any more.  He is still in the industry, somewhere in New England, but I don't think he has posted on SJ2.0 in close to a year.
    Didn't know Chris left

Rocket once again with thorough pics

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=577
    ciscokid said:

Well I might as well ask for Ibrake4tbars, is it a Hall? I like the yellow towers

That t-bar is a 100% genuine Hall. The hangers, offset tower cross arms, and sheaves give it away.

IBRAKE
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 22 Posts: 1,737
    Well Cisco, I could possibly recreate them, like so...or not...
    My apologies NES13

Lonesome Pine Trails 2-15-2010 #20

2010 Tour de Maine covered 1300 miles in 9 days. Mrs. Ski_it, Jr and I skied 7 places & one X-C area – Mt Jefferson, Lonesome Pines Trails, visited 10th Mountain Ski Club, skied Quoggy Jo, Big Rock, Nordic Heritage Ski Center XC , Big Squaw, visited both Kent (denied) & Mt Baker (closed again), skied Saddleback, & finally Black Mountain
    Oui, je parle un peu francais.
    Lonesome Pine Trails is located 4 hours north of Bangor, ME or 1 1/2 hours from Presque Isle from which we started. The road was a little greasy from the 1-2" of continuous snow showers as we headed up Rt 1 thru Caribou. We passed several potato farms and moose alert signs, although the moose must be hibernating as we saw none. We turned onto Rt 161 and continued through the towns of New Sweden & Stockholm, the birthplace of skiing in the northeast. The Scandinavians settled this region in the 1870's and brought their ski making & racing skills with them.
    Lonesome Pine is one street off downtown Fort Kent. You can get a wee little bit farther north in Maine, but at 47°N latitude, not much. How close is Canada? I bet if you were to spit from the top with a good south wind blowing, it would probably land across the river in Canada and another time zone.
    It was school vacation week and with the High School State Class C Alpine & Nordic Championships scheduled for the next day they were open early mid-week at 9am. Still I was able to park right in front of the lodge. However, check their hours as they vary widely. Usually school vacation week is 11am-4pm. Otherwise, Wed & Fri 3pm-9pm with full days on weekends.
    The lodge isn’t that impressive from the outside, but the inside it is roomy, seems fairly new and there is a nice central stone fireplace. Upon entering we were immediately greeted hello by the man selling tickets from the office/ticket counter. My wife & he had a conversation as I was putting on my boots. Next thing I know he is telephoning someone, speaking Quebecois, and looking for potatoes for her. She had passed so many closed potato farm stands that she was determined to get some Maine potatoes. He told us his friend would try to stop by later with 10 lbs. Talk about your full service ski resort!
    They have a T-bar and a short handle tow with 10 trails and 500 ft vertical. There is also a small terrain park. They have signs pointing to a half pipe. I asked a teen where it was and she replied it was filled in to make the terrain park. This may be a temporary thing as it still listed on the web site.
    The T-bar was one of the smoother starting ones I’ve ridden this year. The operator stands in an area 2 feet lower than the skiers, which is kind of different. Generally, there was no waiting or maybe a 5 person line.
    We started down skier’s far right on some nicely groomed packed powder. This is one of the racing trails called Valley which is a classic narrow, twisting ski rail. There is a similar trail on the left, Reservoir that can lead into a glade, Spin Off, which in turn ends with a short steep pitch. There are a couple wider trails right down the middle, one being The Maine, the other race trail. We climbed past the patrol building to reach a short stretch of untracked side powder on Pine Needle Pass.
    The 10th Mountain Ski Club maintains 25 kilometers of Nordic trails on the same mountain. You can X-C over the mountain and down to the Nordic ski center on the other side. In fact I did not see any signs warning Alpine skiers not to take these trails. There were some of those low plastic trail dividers in place, but that’s all. It would be a little work to hike back up in ski boots.
    We took a break for lunch. I went for the tasty homemade pizza instead of the poutine. As we headed back to the slopes for a few afternoon runs the ski team from Freeport arrived by bus. Probably to get some practice runs in for tomorrow’s 17 team race. They also host a number of events there, Nordic races and a dog sled race that goes right down Main Street. I guess I’ll have to go back someday to see that.

“The big question though....Did your wife ever get those potatoes?”

Ah, you read between the lines! No, our new found friend's friend did not make it before we left. We did find another farm open a couple days later and she finally got her potatoes.

loafasaur
    "The operator stands in an area 2 feet lower than the skiers...."

What a great, back-saving idea.

Great report. Ft. Kent is quite a town. You can go to grade school, high school, and college in the space of a quarter mile on the same street. They just finished up the annual 250-mile dogsled race. They bring in snow and have the finish line downtown on Main Street.
  • ski_itski_it expert

imageimageimageimageimage
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (10).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 1M
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (12).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 1M
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (17).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 1M
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (21).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 2M
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (22).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 1M
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (23).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 2M
  • ski_itski_it expert

Wahhh.. Now I want to go back!
    Lonesome Pine_02_15_2010 (13).JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 2M